Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2021, 10:27 AM   #1

securing a HD Trike

Hello all, I am a newbie. Just bought a 2019 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26RR toy hauler. I bought it in Michigan and I live in S. Daytona, FL. My buddy will bring it down in November. I have a 2013 HD Ultra Limited with a Roadsmith trike kit, just wondering if anyone here hauls their trike in a similar toy hauler and how you tie it down. I have a Kendon stand up trailer that I configured for the trike by installing E-tracks under the rear wheels. Not sure if I want to install E-tracks on the toy haulers floor. Anyway, anyone out there that hauls a trike in their toy hauler?
kimrpaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 12:59 PM   #2

I put my Goldwing trike in my Wildwood FSX 190RT. Once I have it inside, I use ratchet straps and the D-rings already on the floor. I use 2 up front that I strap over the triple tree on either side and then ratchet it down. I compress the forks some but not excessively. I then use 2 ratchet straps to go through the rear wheels and secure to other D-rings. This has kept it in place and no movement. I also will either leave it in gear or use the reverse to keep it in place.

One of the biggest problems I run into is just getting it loaded or unloaded. Not sure about Harley trikes but this is an issue for me. The ramp door just isn't long enough so the angle is a bit extreme and it will catch underneath in center of trike as I cross over the top of the ramp into the camper. What I have to do is take the adjustable jack stand foot and drop it down so I can place the pin in the top hole. I then raise it all the way up. I then use several Rhino Ramps ( https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...ino+ramp&pos=0 ) that I put under the end of the ramp to help raise it up to a better angle. They don't weigh much so they are easy to bring along. I have gotten lucky a couple times where I was able to find raised areas at campgrounds where the ramp could be lowered onto so the angle is reduced. This made it a lot easier to load and unload.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:54 PM   #3

I tie my 2016 Triglide down the same as Mikeyk101. Ramp angle is the biggest headache going in and coming out.
mhonn2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 10:44 PM   #4

i have a 2012 can am spyder. higher the nose of trailer less angle on ramp. i made 2 ,,2×6s aprox 5ft. long put at first part of bottom of ramp. 12inch piece of 2×6 on top of 5ft.boards. a foot from top of boards. 2,2×4s at top of ramp lets front rise enough to keep bottom of trike from scraping ramp at top. strap it down through rims . Watch for valve stems.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:54 AM   #5

We have a 2021 Spyder and also do the straps through the rims. We raise the front end of the RV as high as it goes to reduce the ramp angle.
Here is a diagram we found helpful, but alway check your straps every few hours if hitting bumps. The straps will stretch.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6996.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	262787
Old 09-14-2021, 12:46 PM   #6

I carry a Gold Wing in mine. I went on Ebay and purchased heavy duty tie down strips and they came with slide in S hooks. I also have a front tire capture at center front of garage, which I offset to better utilize the space. I only need two tie down ratchet straps at rear of trike. I tie to rear hitch of bike and tie down strip on each side..
newcowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimrpaige View Post
Hello all, I am a newbie. Just bought a 2019 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26RR toy hauler. I bought it in Michigan and I live in S. Daytona, FL. My buddy will bring it down in November. I have a 2013 HD Ultra Limited with a Roadsmith trike kit, just wondering if anyone here hauls their trike in a similar toy hauler and how you tie it down. I have a Kendon stand up trailer that I configured for the trike by installing E-tracks under the rear wheels. Not sure if I want to install E-tracks on the toy haulers floor. Anyway, anyone out there that hauls a trike in their toy hauler?
I don't have a trike, but I haul my street glide with this. Should also work with a trike.

https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/product/biker-bar
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:48 PM   #8

Your trike is too big for the 26RR. The 27RR has a much bigger garage and you dont have to move anything. If you are buying from LS rv in Michigan, they will let you upsize.
krazyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:51 PM   #9

Quote:
I don't have a trike, but I haul my street glide with this. Should also work with a trike.

https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/product/biker-bar
You wont make it up most ramps with that bottom part attached. Cool product though.
Old 09-15-2021, 08:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyk View Post
You wont make it up most ramps with that bottom part attached. Cool product though.
You put the clamp on after you're in the trailer.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:52 PM   #11

latner, in the video he has on the bottom part before he loads. Even left it on while he unloads. It looks like it would be hard to install on bike while your in trailer.
Old 09-15-2021, 07:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Your trike is too big for the 26RR. The 27RR has a much bigger garage and you dont have to move anything. If you are buying from LS rv in Michigan, they will let you upsize.
Not sure why you say this. The width of a Harley trike is about 56" and at the narrowest point, the available width in the 26RR is 64". But that is after the rear 81" which is 94" wide. The front of the trike will be narrower and fit anywhere in the garage area. The length of the trike is about 105". The garage area of the 26RR looks to be about 195". I see no reason why a Harley trike wouldn't fit.
Old 09-15-2021, 07:27 PM   #13

The appliances and furniture are in the way. The 26RR does not have a full size garage. Not even close to 11 feet.
Old 09-15-2021, 08:04 PM   #14

Not saying it won't be tight in spots but looking at floor plan, it's got the room. I know on my Goldwing CSC Viper trike, I'm around 61" wide and almost 118" in length and I only have 70" of width to deal with in my Wildwood 190RT but it fits. Yes, it would block the rear benches/bed and possibly some of the appliances but it will fit. Especially with the width in the rear. I almost bought this one instead of the 190RT. I had already made sure mine would fit. If mine fit and I am wider and longer, I know a Harley trike will fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210915-193653_Brave.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	262882  
Old 09-15-2021, 08:09 PM   #15

Quote:
The appliances and furniture are in the way. The 26RR does not have a full size garage. Not even close to 11 feet.
The "garage" is almost 17 feet. That is how this one is designed. There are even 2 d-rings on either side of the floor just before the side door.

This is what 90" wide for 81" in depth looks like. The Harley trike would only need another 2 feet ahead to fit if parked in the rear. And it can still be pulled forward more if you wanted to get it more over the axles...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210915-201550_Brave.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	574.6 KB
ID:	262883  
Old 09-16-2021, 08:00 AM   #16

Quote:
latner, in the video he has on the bottom part before he loads. Even left it on while he unloads. It looks like it would be hard to install on bike while your in trailer.
Just my experience, I don't have an issue with putting the clamp on after it's in the trailer. I guess if your trailer is real narrow and you don't have enough room to kneel next to it, then it might be a problem.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:21 PM   #17

Quote:
The "garage" is almost 17 feet.
The "garage" is not even close to 17 feet. Thats laughable. The distance from ramp wall to hitting appliances and furniture is much, much, less. The garage is actually less than seven feet. Not being able to use your trailers amenities while loaded means your garage is too small for what your carrying in it. A trike is too big for a 26RR. My full size real 11 foot garage in my 27RR sometimes feels cramped with a loaded Street Glide.

What happens if you need to stay loaded on a trip? Weather, thieves, etc. How would you use anything?
Old 09-19-2021, 11:36 PM   #18

Quote:
The "garage" is not even close to 17 feet. Thats laughable. The distance from ramp wall to hitting appliances and furniture is much, much, less. The garage is actually less than seven feet. Not being able to use your trailers amenities while loaded means your garage is too small for what your carrying in it. A trike is too big for a 26RR. My full size real 11 foot garage in my 27RR sometimes feels cramped with a loaded Street Glide.

What happens if you need to stay loaded on a trip? Weather, thieves, etc. How would you use anything?
So I guess providing a photo of the floorplan above backing up my facts isn't enough for you. FFS, the garage in the 26RR runs all the way up to the TV cabinet. The 27RR is set up much different.. Why are you so argumentative and such a Debby Downer??? "We're doomed, we'll never make it" in my deepest Glum voice... All you seem to want to do is argue with folks instead of providing any kind of constructive comments. It's the same with you in the thread on axles for the Goodyear tire change. So is it your way or the highway??? Dude, you really need to relax and chill.

Just for the record, my Toyhauler is smaller than the 26RR and I load a trike that is larger than a Harley trike at 61" wide and almost 12' long. It works and it fits without modification. I still have full access to my bed, the bathroom, the fridge, and the sink. There are times that I keep the trike loaded especially if I am going to just have an overnight spot and have access to anything I might need. I'm not quite sure what you mean about weather being a factor in staying loaded. I can easily turn the air conditioning on or the furnace if needed. And I have absolutely no idea why you mention thieves. Not even sure what that has to do with anything. Maybe in your amazing way, you can enlighten me on that so I can protect myself if I ever run across it...
Old 09-20-2021, 09:02 AM   #19

And for the sake of clarification my math was a little fuzzy and the garage is not nearly 17' but rather 15'5" in length, sorry...
Old 09-20-2021, 07:41 PM   #20

OK, I will try and explain from personal experience. Sometimes when you arrive at a rally site you may need to keep your bike inside the garage off and on during your stay. The weather may turn awful, weirdos, thieves, vandals, etc.

If your bike is a tight fit while loaded, this makes it hard or impossible to enjoy your stay because you cant use your kitchen or furniture. Thats what I was referring to. I imagine a 26RR is very cramped with a loaded trike. Not trying to offend but I know what its like when you buy too small. Facts are facts.