Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2017, 04:18 PM   #1

setting my chock

I observed in my cherokee 255rr 5th wheel toy hauler that everything is set on the left side. By that I mean, the kitchen, refridgerator, most cabinets, the pantry, the bathroom etc and little to nothing is on the right side. I doubt the trailer suspension accounts for that but maybe somehow it does. In any case I'm thinking when i haul my 900 lb motorcycle i should install the chock & park it to the right of center. If anyone has any thoughts on this I would love to hear them.
Thanks, Gary
Rocket3T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket3T View Post
I observed in my cherokee 255rr 5th wheel toy hauler that everything is set on the left side. By that I mean, the kitchen, refridgerator, most cabinets, the pantry, the bathroom etc and little to nothing is on the right side. I doubt the trailer suspension accounts for that but maybe somehow it does. In any case I'm thinking when i haul my 900 lb motorcycle i should install the chock & park it to the right of center. If anyone has any thoughts on this I would love to hear them.
Thanks, Gary
Gary, if you have a nice level surface that your toy hauler is parked on and it's level, measure from the ground to the bottom of your fenders (at each axle) to determine if your suspension is in fact carrying equal weight since all comforts are fixed on the road (left) side. If so, load your bike right up the center and double check measurements again to get a better ideal. If necessary, go ahead and hitch the toy hauler to your tow vehicle before loading the bike.

Since I have a 26RR toy hauler and load a trike inside, I normally double check my fender measurements to keep things 'centered' for the weight, but that's just me & how I do it.

Others may chime in with different recommendations ~~
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:17 PM   #3

I set my chock up for the front tie downs on my 255RR if that helps that way it is
set over the axles
16grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:10 AM   #4

I am trying to figure this out also. Just picked up the 255RR last Friday and now looking to get it set up for first trip when weather breaks.
I will be using the HF 61670 Chock.
Click image for larger version

Name:	HF Chock.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	164553
I will hauling my Harley (Road Glide) mostly. I think that I will put it as far aft as I can in the center of the trailer. Reason for this is so the load is carried by both springs equally and it will help reduce the pin weight when traveling. The Harley is 96" long and this would put the front tire chock about equal to the center of the sink. If needed, I think all the kitchen cabinets and drawers would be free to open.
During the winter I will be spending 3 months in the unit and due to the fact that sunny warm Florida is not always sunny and warm, I want to have an optional location on the right side just to keep it in out of the weather and minimize lost living space.
I do not expect to ever hauling more than one bike, but if I did I would probably put the rear bike more to the right and the forward bike in the center. the stagger would be necessary due to overall length is not enough if the bikes are nose to tail. I know this would compromise the kitchen access, but would not limit the main entrance.
I have not committed 100% to this plan and would appreciate input.
Mule
Muletrain is offline   Reply With Quote