Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2015, 08:35 PM   #1

So a couple issues after my second trip...

Just got back from my second trip out in the 26rr. The 3rd night we were there I have been just leaving the ac set in low so it runs all the time. But the 3rd night it was shutting itself off on me...then I went to fill up the black tank to flush it out and water was spraying all underneath the bathroom sink where the outside water line connects into some piece that connects to the black tank fill hose. I'm not sure what this black connection is some sort of check valve? But it appears to be that the fitting adapter thingy is too small for the hose and the clamp they used doesn't clamp down enough so when I went to fill it water went everywhere...any ideas on these 2 issues?
drb1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:59 PM   #2

The "some piece" is a B&B Molding 571 vacuum/check valve.

Two possible issues. Leaking could be from the screw on fitting (sorta like a hose fitting) on the intake (bottom) side of the valve. If it's tight it shouldn't leak. If the leak is coming from the outlet side (the one with the 90 degree elbow) they are notorious for poor clamping. For whatever reason FR puts a really cheap plastic compression fitting over the hose. If the leak is there, just cut the plastic part, throw it in the trash and put an old fashioned metal screw on hose clamp. That should solve your problem.

However, if the leak is coming from the valve (that was the problem I had) then it needs to be replaced. B&B Molding (888-965-2244) stands behind their products. I called them to report the leaking -571 valve and they immediately sent me a replacement along with a pre-paid envelope to return the old one. No hassle, no charge.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:55 AM   #3

Fittings were loose on mine but have very little room to work with under sink

2006 Honda Goldwing
2012 Toyota Tundra DC s(sold)
2015 Cherokee Grey wolf 19RR Limited
2017 F150 Super Crew 3.5eb 5.5
bluewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:58 AM   #4

This is it. I just removed hanger and was able to tighten it up more. Exit side has no gasket. Its like the two pieces are wedged together and need to be tighted more than the white hose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1450518969250.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	96409  

2006 Honda Goldwing
2012 Toyota Tundra DC s(sold)
2015 Cherokee Grey wolf 19RR Limited
2017 F150 Super Crew 3.5eb 5.5
bluewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb1984 View Post
Just got back from my second trip out in the 26rr. The 3rd night we were there I have been just leaving the ac set in low so it runs all the time. But the 3rd night it was shutting itself off on me...then I went to fill up the black tank to flush it out and water was spraying all underneath the bathroom sink where the outside water line connects into some piece that connects to the black tank fill hose. I'm not sure what this black connection is some sort of check valve? But it appears to be that the fitting adapter thingy is too small for the hose and the clamp they used doesn't clamp down enough so when I went to fill it water went everywhere...any ideas on these 2 issues?
The fan cutting off was likely it got cold enough out side to cause it to think AC was freezing up and shut down. May not be the case.

The black thing in the black water flush is a vacuum brake or anti syphon valve. It prevents the black water from being syphoned out when the hose is disconnected or the water pressure fails in the supply line. Don't need none of that stuff back in the supply water. Over time the fittings seem to loosen up and need to be tightened more. Have had mine leak on all three campers I have owned.
Ke5rbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 02:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewoo View Post
This is it. I just removed hanger and was able to tighten it up more. Exit side has no gasket. Its like the two pieces are wedged together and need to be tighted more than the white hose.
That definitely is the -571 valve. The inlet side is where the screw on fitting is. The only seal there is a rubber gasket that seals as you screw it on...same type you'll see on a garden hose. If it's leaking there just tighten it (hand tighten only is all you need) or replace the rubber gasket.

Look on the outlet side hose connection and get rid of that black plastic clamp. It's junk and only used because it saves what I consider an insignificant amount of time to install at the factory. Use a pair of wire cutters and cut it off and deposit in the closest trash can. Put a standard hose clamp available at any hardware store around the white hose starting about ⅛ inch below the top end of the hose. Do that even if it is not leaking there because I assure you it is going to leak sooner or later.

If the leak is coming from where the 90° elbow fitting is screwed onto the valve, unscrew it and place a thin layer of teflon plumbing tape then screw it back on. That should take care of it.

If the leak is coming from anywhere else on the valve call B&B and they will send you a replacement at no charge.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:55 PM   #7
Masterchip

Shouldn't be hooking a water hose to your black tank before you have flushed most of the system out. You most likely applied too much pressure to the hoses which in turn created your leakage. ("then I went to fill up the black tank to flush it out and water was spraying all underneath the bathroom sink") A friend of mine did the same thing and blew out his black tank. What a mess it was!
Old 12-19-2015, 02:56 PM   #8

I leave my AC on all the time at nite set to High, never had an issue with it shutting down. Not sure if having it on Low is causing the issue, may give that a try.
Cuzdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:50 PM   #9

Black tank was probably over full to the point that it plugged the vent pipe thereby creating a pressure vessel.
kenenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:06 PM   #10
Site Team

If there is a lot of humidity in the trailer and the air is fairly cool, you can freeze up the coils on low fan. Try running on auto the cycling allows any frost build up to melt.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:18 PM   #11

Just to clarify on what previous posters have said, but wasn't real clear for a newbie. DO NOT use the black tank flush port to "fill" the black tank prior to draining. Gravity drain the tank, then use the black tank flush to spray the tank clean. The flush port has nozzles inside the black tank that "pressure wash" the inside of the tank. Let the flush run until the water coming out is clear. Note, a clear drain fitting is a necessity.
rmoore0852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:20 PM   #12

If the blackwater tank pressured up with water hose then the 1 1/2" vent line out the top of camper is plugged or was never hooked up. The fumes inside tank would be coming out inside the camper big time everytime you flushed toliet. If the tank over fills from the blackwater flush the water will run out on top of the camper another big mess. You are really not suppose to use the black water flush unless the main drain is open. If the tank won't drain then running water through the flush isn't going to work. You can get an adapter to hook water hose to the main drain line with a gate valve after the water hose hookup and use it to dislodge the plugged drain line.
Ke5rbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:04 AM   #13

I had the drain open and tank was empty. I then went to hook up to the flush and that's when it was leaking. But i think it's the house clamp used like another member suggested, I am going to switch it out to a metal clap and see if that helps.
drb1984 is offline   Reply With Quote