Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2020, 05:23 PM   #1

Swapping out axles

Our 2017 Wolf pack 325 Pack 13 has factory installed 6000 lb. axles. Not near strong enough in my opinion.
The factory must of seen this as 2018 and newer units have 7000 lb. axles.

Anybody here swap out to larger rated axles and eight lug rims?

I also thought of using 16 inch 6 lug steel rims with a higher rating then I have now and go with a G rated tire....while still using the original axles.

Thoughts?
Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:35 PM   #2
Always Learning

You can certainly do it. What are you trying to solve? Especially with your seemingly contrary alternate thought...
Old 02-13-2020, 05:47 PM   #3

Haven't weighed the unit...but I'm sure I'm overloading the camper with my UTV, full water tank, etc. ( full water tank is a must)

Plus blowing out these cheap E rated tires!

6000 lb. axles don't give much Cargo capacity, compared to the same unit, 1 to 3 years newer.

Just asking if anyone has replaced their 6000 lb. axles with 7000 lb. units.

Was looking at a 365 pack 16.
Nice rig but in my opinion it should have three axles not two.
Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:07 AM   #4
Always Learning

So, not to spoil your plans but I was afraid that was the answer.

The problem with upgrading the tires, wheels, or axles is that you just move the point of failure up the line. With me, I had a big bunkhouse fifth wheel with 2 x 7,000 lbs axles. I upgraded wheels, tires, and added shocks. I was running over the GVWR by 1,000 or so pounds. I was never over 14k on the axles, though. After 2.5 years of fulltiming, I buckled the frame. That was a dark day.

We were able to get everything bent back into shape and things mostly worked. But it was an important reminder that these things are flimsy at best.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:59 AM   #5
Site Team

I was thinking along the same lines. When they changed to a larger axle set, did they also change the frame and/or suspension components? If they did then you're kinda asking for trouble if you change to higher rated axles and tires and then exceed the original load specs.

Now if you can be sure that they used the same frame and suspension, or you're just looking for some cushion in the ratings and are not going over the original ratings, then go for it.

Tags
axle