Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2021, 07:43 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 48
Wolf Pack fivers low price...what's the catch?

Looking at toy haulers used and new and the only ones I can find close to $60k is used 2017-18 models and new Wolf packs. In the "you get what you pay for" mindset I ask myself "what am I giving up to save that money?" Unfortunately I have not had a chance to look at them closely because the closest one is ~200 miles away so I am reaching out to those who might own one to fill me in.
__________________
2021 Wolf Pack 355 Wolf Pack 355 PACK 14
2016 Ram 3500 Longhorn Laramie Cummins DRW Aisin transmission
2018 XLR Nitro 29KW SOLD
2015 Ram 2500 Crew cab 4X4 6.4 Hemi SOLD
CollinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:56 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Poppy94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinP View Post
Looking at toy haulers used and new and the only ones I can find close to $60k is used 2017-18 models and new Wolf packs. In the "you get what you pay for" mindset I ask myself "what am I giving up to save that money?" Unfortunately I have not had a chance to look at them closely because the closest one is ~200 miles away so I am reaching out to those who might own one to fill me in.


We bought the Wolfpack 325pack13. Wow. What a machine. We love it. 1.5 bathrooms. It holds our general 4 1000 easily. Very well balanced loaded or unloaded. Pulls like a dream. Just wished the kitchen had a tad more storage or even more basement storage. Be careful on the dining table in bed mode. I had to re-enforce the mounts for the table in bed mode. The vapor wall door has a toe stumper guarding the room to room transition so watch out there. Overall, it puts my old puma unleashed 356QLB to shame….I’d buy this one again. Sorry for the nickels worth when you only asked for 2 cents🤣
Poppy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:25 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
asr524's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Michigan
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy94 View Post
We bought the Wolfpack 325pack13. Wow. What a machine. We love it.
Same here but we have the 315Pack12 (similar layout but shorter).

I think the OP should flip his perspective to what extra fluff am I paying for that I don't need. Hydraulic leveling, fancy finishes, ect. All of them are built mostly the same and generally have similar components.
__________________
2021 Wolfpack 315Pack12
2014 Ford F350 6.7L Diesel
2019 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse
asr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:01 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by asr524 View Post
Same here but we have the 315Pack12 (similar layout but shorter).

I think the OP should flip his perspective to what extra fluff am I paying for that I don't need. Hydraulic leveling, fancy finishes, ect. All of them are built mostly the same and generally have similar components.
I understand, I don't mind spending a little extra for useful conveniences or things that make the unit hold up over time but they can keep the "eye candy".

We have owned entry level TT, ultra lite TT, luxury TT and our current TT is an XLR Nitro and it is really solid but we down graded in space and are not happy with it. The XLR is VERY solid and it shows that they build the toy haulers different than the standard campers.

The only thing on paper I don't like about the Wolf Pack is the size of the grey water tank. All but the 365 have 38 gallon with a 72 gallon black water. This is opposite to most campers.
__________________
2021 Wolf Pack 355 Wolf Pack 355 PACK 14
2016 Ram 3500 Longhorn Laramie Cummins DRW Aisin transmission
2018 XLR Nitro 29KW SOLD
2015 Ram 2500 Crew cab 4X4 6.4 Hemi SOLD
CollinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:45 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
asr524's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Michigan
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinP View Post
I understand, I don't mind spending a little extra for useful conveniences or things that make the unit hold up over time but they can keep the "eye candy".

We have owned entry level TT, ultra lite TT, luxury TT and our current TT is an XLR Nitro and it is really solid but we down graded in space and are not happy with it. The XLR is VERY solid and it shows that they build the toy haulers different than the standard campers.

The only thing on paper I don't like about the Wolf Pack is the size of the grey water tank. All but the 365 have 38 gallon with a 72 gallon black water. This is opposite to most campers.
I found a walkthrough video of yours from the signature and it looks like the same style of construction...the gray tank is my only real complaint. 38gal when it holds 100 fresh.
__________________
2021 Wolfpack 315Pack12
2014 Ford F350 6.7L Diesel
2019 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse
asr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 02:53 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by asr524 View Post
I found a walkthrough video of yours from the the gray tank is my only real complaint. 38gal when it holds 100 fresh.
Yup...makes no sense
__________________
2021 Wolf Pack 355 Wolf Pack 355 PACK 14
2016 Ram 3500 Longhorn Laramie Cummins DRW Aisin transmission
2018 XLR Nitro 29KW SOLD
2015 Ram 2500 Crew cab 4X4 6.4 Hemi SOLD
CollinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:35 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 4,584
Gray tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinP View Post
Yup...makes no sense
Why is the gray tank size such a big deal? If you're boondocking, just water the trees. If you're at a campground, just dump a little more often.
__________________
Larry

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:32 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
asr524's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Michigan
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Why is the gray tank size such a big deal? If you're boondocking, just water the trees. If you're at a campground, just dump a little more often.
Just spent 4 nights at a campground...day 2 our gray was full then full again when we left...A 40ft toy hauler with 100gal fresh should have bigger than a 38gal gray tank.
__________________
2021 Wolfpack 315Pack12
2014 Ford F350 6.7L Diesel
2019 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse
asr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:18 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Why is the gray tank size such a big deal? If you're boondocking, just water the trees. If you're at a campground, just dump a little more often.
I have little interest in spending my precious camping time emptying the tank. A 38 gallon black tank can easily last 4 days for my wife and I but 38 gallon grey fills up in 2 days with conservative showers.

We have never boondocked and I am not sure we ever will, maybe if we get a generator...sleeping without electricity is just not an option.
__________________
2021 Wolf Pack 355 Wolf Pack 355 PACK 14
2016 Ram 3500 Longhorn Laramie Cummins DRW Aisin transmission
2018 XLR Nitro 29KW SOLD
2015 Ram 2500 Crew cab 4X4 6.4 Hemi SOLD
CollinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:25 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy94 View Post
We bought the Wolfpack 325pack13. Wow. What a machine. We love it. 1.5 bathrooms. It holds our general 4 1000 easily. Very well balanced loaded or unloaded. Pulls like a dream. Just wished the kitchen had a tad more storage or even more basement storage. Be careful on the dining table in bed mode. I had to re-enforce the mounts for the table in bed mode. The vapor wall door has a toe stumper guarding the room to room transition so watch out there. Overall, it puts my old puma unleashed 356QLB to shame….I’d buy this one again. Sorry for the nickels worth when you only asked for 2 cents🤣
How much does the General weigh? Do you pull in forward or back it in? I assume pin weight good with the sbs loaded since it pulls good. We'll be hauling a Can Am Maverick sport.
__________________
2021 Wolf Pack 355 Wolf Pack 355 PACK 14
2016 Ram 3500 Longhorn Laramie Cummins DRW Aisin transmission
2018 XLR Nitro 29KW SOLD
2015 Ram 2500 Crew cab 4X4 6.4 Hemi SOLD
CollinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:04 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
asr524's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Michigan
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinP View Post
How much does the General weigh? Do you pull in forward or back it in? .
A General XP4 specs at 1,900lbs dry.

In our 315Pack12, I borrowed a RZR900 trail (1,176 dry) from work and backed it in thinking about centering the engine weight closer to the axles plus had one dirt bike and full of water. It was the heaviest we have been so far. 23,520 GCWR, 12,220 on RV axles, and 2,420 on the pin which should be 16.5%.
Still towed great across Michigan!
__________________
2021 Wolfpack 315Pack12
2014 Ford F350 6.7L Diesel
2019 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse
asr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 08:15 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 48
We bought a 2021 355Pack14 with a generator this afternoon. Taking delivery in the next week or so. Nice camper can't wait to load up and head out of town on the 3rd of July!

Next decision is which hitch to buy...seriously leaning towards an Anderson. Any suggestions?
__________________
2021 Wolf Pack 355 Wolf Pack 355 PACK 14
2016 Ram 3500 Longhorn Laramie Cummins DRW Aisin transmission
2018 XLR Nitro 29KW SOLD
2015 Ram 2500 Crew cab 4X4 6.4 Hemi SOLD
CollinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:33 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
asr524's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Michigan
Posts: 203
Do you have a long box? I don't want to deal with a gooseneck attachment when a 5th wheel is so easy to back into on the first try. My Ford has a puck system which is nice so you don't have to deal with the rails.
If you stick with a 5th wheel hitch make sure you get one with side to side tilt. Really helps when out of level between truck and RV
__________________
2021 Wolfpack 315Pack12
2014 Ford F350 6.7L Diesel
2019 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse
asr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:51 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by asr524 View Post
Do you have a long box? I don't want to deal with a gooseneck attachment when a 5th wheel is so easy to back into on the first try. My Ford has a puck system which is nice so you don't have to deal with the rails.
If you stick with a 5th wheel hitch make sure you get one with side to side tilt. Really helps when out of level between truck and RV
I guess I really don't understand this FW hitch thing.

I do have a long bed with pucks. I can see the advantage of being able to back into the hitch vs. having to align underneath it but thought the ease of removal, weight savings and lack of moving parts of the gooseneck would make it worth it. Having never hooked one up I really don't know.

I didn't know the pucks eliminate the need for rails. Can you elaborate or refer me to something that can explain this?
__________________
2021 Wolf Pack 355 Wolf Pack 355 PACK 14
2016 Ram 3500 Longhorn Laramie Cummins DRW Aisin transmission
2018 XLR Nitro 29KW SOLD
2015 Ram 2500 Crew cab 4X4 6.4 Hemi SOLD
CollinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:48 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
asr524's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Michigan
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinP View Post
I guess I really don't understand this FW hitch thing.

I do have a long bed with pucks. I can see the advantage of being able to back into the hitch vs. having to align underneath it but thought the ease of removal, weight savings and lack of moving parts of the gooseneck would make it worth it. Having never hooked one up I really don't know.

I didn't know the pucks eliminate the need for rails. Can you elaborate or refer me to something that can explain this?
I attached a picture of mine for reference. But you can find good deals on hitches on FB marketplace.
As you see with mine the hitch will fall into the puck holes in the truck then you lock them into place. These are the gold parts sticking out on the right and left sides near the base with lynch pins.
The opening of the hitch is 7 or 8in wide. You can be that far off side to side (4in) and the king pin will slide in to the jaw and lock in.
For this hitch I pull the long handle out to open the jaw (jaw is closed in the picture) then jump in the truck. I back up into the FW using the center of my window as reference to line up the king pin then continue to back up until it locks in. Jump out and verify the jaw is closed around the king pin and put in the safety pin through the lever and raise the landing gear and im done.

I also use a slip disk so that I don't have to grease the hitch face. That's why the top plate is so clean. Highly recommend that!

Only real downside is the weight when taking out of the truck. But for me, we pulled the RV out in April and have only taken the hitch out of the bed once so far this year. So for me not a big deal plus the wife can help if needed.
Youtube should have plenty of hitching videos but you can PM me and I could make a quick video of our process for you or answer other questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	257428  
__________________
2021 Wolfpack 315Pack12
2014 Ford F350 6.7L Diesel
2019 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse
asr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:22 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Port Charlotte, FL
Posts: 7
I have the Andersen with basically the same setup. I love the Andersen. Never had an issue with it.
__________________
2020 Forest River 365 Pack 16
2019 Ram 3500 DRW HO Cummins
2019 Harley Davidson Trike
SheriffReichert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:07 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by asr524 View Post
I attached a picture of mine for reference. But you can find good deals on hitches on FB marketplace.
As you see with mine the hitch will fall into the puck holes in the truck then you lock them into place. These are the gold parts sticking out on the right and left sides near the base with lynch pins.
The opening of the hitch is 7 or 8in wide. You can be that far off side to side (4in) and the king pin will slide in to the jaw and lock in.
For this hitch I pull the long handle out to open the jaw (jaw is closed in the picture) then jump in the truck. I back up into the FW using the center of my window as reference to line up the king pin then continue to back up until it locks in. Jump out and verify the jaw is closed around the king pin and put in the safety pin through the lever and raise the landing gear and im done.

I also use a slip disk so that I don't have to grease the hitch face. That's why the top plate is so clean. Highly recommend that!

Only real downside is the weight when taking out of the truck. But for me, we pulled the RV out in April and have only taken the hitch out of the bed once so far this year. So for me not a big deal plus the wife can help if needed.
Youtube should have plenty of hitching videos but you can PM me and I could make a quick video of our process for you or answer other questions.
That helps a lot. Thanks. What tools are needed to remove that hitch?
__________________
2021 Wolf Pack 355 Wolf Pack 355 PACK 14
2016 Ram 3500 Longhorn Laramie Cummins DRW Aisin transmission
2018 XLR Nitro 29KW SOLD
2015 Ram 2500 Crew cab 4X4 6.4 Hemi SOLD
CollinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:25 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
asr524's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Michigan
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinP View Post
That helps a lot. Thanks. What tools are needed to remove that hitch?
Literally nothing! Refer back to the picture...those gold lynch pins come out of two levers that turn 90 degrees towards the center of the hitch. So 4 levers total, then you lift up and its out.
__________________
2021 Wolfpack 315Pack12
2014 Ford F350 6.7L Diesel
2019 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse
asr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cat, wolf pack

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 AM.