RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-13-2017, 08:31 AM   #1
RETIRED AND LOVING IT

2 Motorhomes ..too much?

Might be cabin fever or winter blues but I'm considering a second motorhome. Last Fall after I retired DW and I used the Sunseeker for some day trips and found that it really made the trips more enjoyable with its conveniences that allowed us to bring food ,eat comfortably,relax and have our own bathroom. So I have a 28' Sunseeker which isnt bad for day trips and I have no intention of trading it in,as its perfect for the long trips but for these day trips I was thinking of a B van conversion. The size is the biggest factor, being able to fit in trail parking lots would be great and bring the comforts we're use to in the sunseeker. My question would be are there any 2 motorhome families out there? How do you use the 2? What B do you have?
2016 Ford Race Car Red 350HD Diesel Cargo Van HR DRW EXT "Red Roamer"
"I am in the prime of my decrepitude"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:22 AM   #2

I could go for a pair of Prevost's.... One in in full body paint, the other half stainless, half paint. Problem is, I'm not Donald Trump.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:30 AM   #3
RETIRED AND LOVING IT

Definitely not a Trump in the pocket book. But I sure like to get my own way and enjoy life's creature comforts
Old 01-13-2017, 09:48 AM   #4

I think you just got the "fever". Most here have some form of it.

You can collect RVs. You can see how small or large you can get/find. How much redesigning/modding you can do. How much maintenance you can do. Lol..how much griping you can do. My issue...how much buying crap you can do. I'm still thinking.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:52 AM   #5

I don't own a class B, but my wife and I have taken a serious look at them. Actually, I have taken a seriously look at all the classes and started on this forum a while back related to the Dynamax super C option.

My original goal was to tour, not sit and fish, or full-time, etc. There are four things at the top of the list regarding floorplan: comfortable bed, dry bath, comfortable recliner, and optionally taking my 75 pound Boxer along.

The first two are easy and LeisureWay and PleasureWay topped the list. The Murphy Bed options allow basically for either matching power recliners (not the most comfortable) or a power reclining sofa from PW a more comfortable option. Boxer doesn't make the cut if we go with a class B.

After we spend 10 days doing a mfg pickup for CruiseAmerican, traveling from Illinois to SF, Cal, we will do a trip to France and try to decide if we want an RV or we decline and will focus on international trips. Dog won't be with us for either trip.

At this point, having considered all classes of RV over the last four years, and most recent truck/5th and Class B...my secret vote is for taking my Boxer with us, traveling in the U.S. and all done in a Tiffin Red 33aa diesel 35 ft MH, with a car of wife's choice since the wife is letting me pick out the MH as long as the color scheme is not of the dark color variety. My wife gets motion sickness so she will probably act as a scout in the car rather than sitting with me in the MH getting sick - she hates the motion sickness medicine and would rather drive the car.

Fitness for purpose is very compromising and hard to have one MH that does it all that you want. Buying used can mean having a fleet if you want.
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:37 AM   #6
2012 Solera

"Whoever dies with the most toys wins!" Go for it - you only live once!
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:41 AM   #7

"Whoever dies with the most toys wins!" Go for it - you only live once!"

That really sounded persuasive when I first heard that when I was 16 years old. For some odd reason, it doesn't sound so persuasive to me at 66 years old.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #8
RETIRED AND LOVING IT

Seriously Iwannacamp I do have the fever. Since we started with the Sunseeker we have been filled with wanderlust and love the whole atmosphere of camping.As far as maintenance and mods my coach hasnt been back to the dealer since I bought it. Adding a Travato to my "fleet" wouldnt add up to a combined cost any more than a 1998 Prevost or a 2017 Pleasure-way and certainly below a 2017 Tiffin.
Philos3 we looked at a Tiffin Breeze 28.Loved the idea of a pusher but the 28' Sunseeker met most of our requirements similar to yours except the recliners. I'm adding a loveseat recliner in the spring in place of the sofa.
An additional thought I might be able to use a Travato as a toad
Old 01-13-2017, 01:31 PM   #9

Thumbs up Toy Hauler & Motor Home

Go for it.

I have a toy hauler & pickup plus a 24' Forester MH. I found the toy hauler had me passing places I wished to just pull off to spend a short time. The 24' MH is the touring vehicle & the toy hauler is for point to point extended camping.
larry.mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:58 PM   #10

We've had a Class C and a 13ft TT for several years. The class C is perfect for longer trips and the little trailer is great for roughing it in places the Class C won't fit. I say go for it if it fits your budget. Life is short!
Hoffwmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:53 PM   #11

Life is short. If you can, go for it. Before we bought our 3071DS Sunseeker, we were cruising America in our 1994 Lance Squier 8000 truck camper. Loving it. Go anywhere, do anything, parking is a breeze. If we are visiting the kids or short trips, we take the Lance. If we are taking the kids and grandkids we take the Sunseeker with the tote. The extra room is great. Hope this helps. I just had to share.
Galavanting Lollygagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:23 PM   #12

Have a DP always thought about getting a B as a dinghy. Go 4 it.
OkiePat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:02 PM   #13

Over at Airstream, they are (were) now (until recently?)promoting the idea of matching their Airstream Class B touring van, with an Airstream Trailer...hard to say if that will get off the ground?????

So there is a lot of creativity being experimented with.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:26 PM   #14

Isn't this like asking a guy if he has too many Tools? Or toys?? Lol
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:19 PM   #15
RETIRED AND LOVING IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffwmn View Post
We've had a Class C and a 13ft TT for several years. The class C is perfect for longer trips and the little trailer is great for roughing it in places the Class C won't fit. I say go for it if it fits your budget. Life is short!
I have a Subaru and thought of pulling a 13' Scamp but again this is only for day trips or 1-2 niters and bringing the Scamp into the tighter trail parking lots would be a bit of trouble
Old 01-13-2017, 08:33 PM   #16
RETIRED AND LOVING IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philos3 View Post
Over at Airstream, they are (were) now (until recently?)promoting the idea of matching their Airstream Class B touring van, with an Airstream Trailer...hard to say if that will get off the ground?????

So there is a lot of creativity being experimented with.
Now your talking a chunk of change $150,000 Interstate with a $40,000 Basecamp.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:38 PM   #17
RETIRED AND LOVING IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Isn't this like asking a guy if he has too many Tools? Or toys?? Lol
You betcha And we all know the answer
Old 01-13-2017, 11:38 PM   #18

I haven't done it yet but I think about it every day. I use my 24' Dynamax REV at least a couple of times a week all year unless snow and ice keep it home.

We would like something maybe 35 to 38 feet long for vacations. But it has to be as nice as the REV or better.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:24 PM   #19
Dragonship Captain

Guilty.

Last "fleet plan" was a one ton Chevy dually DMax/Allison which pulled a 45' Heartland Cyclone 4100 (for a LOA of 64') or carried a 4500# Lance truck camper with slide and all the goodies.

The Cyclone was for the two 3-week vacations every year, the Lance went on smaller trips, including a few nights in friend's driveways for parties.

Once parked the Cyclone was awesome. LOTS of space. But there were a lot of places we just couldn't get in to. 64' is a lot. Truck stops and "big rig" campgrounds. Most parks were out of the question.

The Lance was very comfortable, but even it was a little large when it ame to some of the "driveway missions".

So, we wanted something smaller that could do more of the missions. Vacation, shorter trips, and fit in parks. The 39' Berkshire we have now is perfect. And, it is VERY comfortable.

But, too large for the really small missions. Soooo, there's a Ford Transit van being built somewhere in Kentucky soon. And I will personally build that into a "stealth camper". A class B that will fit anywhere, and be very unobtrusive, but with all the comfort needed inside.....

And, my son may need a small TT......

No, you can NEVER have too many RV's.....lol.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
Guilty.

Last "fleet plan" was a one ton Chevy dually DMax/Allison which pulled a 45' Heartland Cyclone 4100 (for a LOA of 64') or carried a 4500# Lance truck camper with slide and all the goodies.

The Cyclone was for the two 3-week vacations every year, the Lance went on smaller trips, including a few nights in friend's driveways for parties.

Once parked the Cyclone was awesome. LOTS of space. But there were a lot of places we just couldn't get in to. 64' is a lot. Truck stops and "big rig" campgrounds. Most parks were out of the question.

The Lance was very comfortable, but even it was a little large when it ame to some of the "driveway missions".

So, we wanted something smaller that could do more of the missions. Vacation, shorter trips, and fit in parks. The 39' Berkshire we have now is perfect. And, it is VERY comfortable.

But, too large for the really small missions. Soooo, there's a Ford Transit van being built somewhere in Kentucky soon. And I will personally build that into a "stealth camper". A class B that will fit anywhere, and be very unobtrusive, but with all the comfort needed inside.....

And, my son may need a small TT......

No, you can NEVER have too many RV's.....lol.

You have fever Sir. Either a pampered sweet wife or single.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome