Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2017, 08:24 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc40 View Post
I'd go to synthetic if it weren't for the huge price increase of an oil change and the fact once you go full synthetic you can't go back.
Mobil One is cheaper @ Sam's than the Blends are @ the auto parts store ???
Other than Sam's the best prices I see is the 5QT bottle,,, often on sale !!!
Mobil One is all I use,,, 5 W 20 in my FORDS & 10 W 30 in my lawn tractors !!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:35 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon 2 View Post
I cannot be bothered crawling under our unit to change the oil and filter. By doing ones self you have to dispose of the filter and oil and that is a bit of a pain. We get our oil changed for 102.97 plus tax but there is a lot more to it than that. They check tire pressure and rotate the ties if needed, check the alignment Check the brakes.check the battery, rad coolant, Wiper blades , brake fluid, transmission fluid, wiper blades, and drive belts and give us a condition report of the unit as a whole.
A standard oil change on my 2010 F-150 is $82.41. Plus if anything is screwed up , filter leaking etc. they will stand behind their work. Brandon2
Each to there own !!! That is a lot of $$$ to pay for an oil change !!!
I did out V10 yesterday,,, Mobil One + Motorcraft filter,,, cost about $35 !!!
I do agree the worst thing about DYI is taking the oil to the auto parts store

Check alignment & rotate tires if needed,,, on a MH ???
Old 07-22-2017, 08:46 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
Consider this, mobile 1 enhanced performance oil is rated for 15,000 miles between oil changes. Like i said earlier, a 5qt jug of any viscosity costs around $25 and qts are $8 something each. For my 7 qt oil change it's $41 for the oil and $8 something for the mobile 1 filter which is only a little more than i paid for an oil change on my ford expedition for 7500 mile change interval. So you get twice the mileage for just a little more cost. It's cost effective to go with the full synthetic oil. Do the math yourself!!!
My 2013 seams to be full @ 6 Qts ???
Old 07-22-2017, 08:56 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
My 2013 seams to be full @ 6 Qts ???
Mine is a 7qt system. Yes, paying $80+ for a "standard" oil change is ridiculous
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:07 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
Mine is a 7qt system. Yes, paying $80+ for a "standard" oil change is ridiculous
Strange I have read some say 6 Qts - some say 6.5 Qts and some say 7 Qts !!!
They are all hard to check when the Mobil One is new & clean !!!
Old 07-22-2017, 09:09 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by wana65stang View Post
WHAT!!!! Completely untrue.
X2
Old 07-22-2017, 09:11 AM   #47
Site Team

Quote:
Check alignment & rotate tires if needed,,, on a MH ???
Yes, Ford advises rotating the front tires on a MH (dually) every 7,500 miles and the rear tires:

"* Vehicles with dual rear wheels should rotate the front wheels when specified; rear wheels only if unusual wear is noted."

See Page 182 of the Owners Manual I linked earlier for the rotation diagram.

I know most MH folks never rotate their tires but it is what the manual recommends.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:17 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Yes, Ford advises rotating the front tires on a MH (dually) every 7,500 miles and the rear tires:

"* Vehicles with dual rear wheels should rotate the front wheels when specified; rear wheels only if unusual wear is noted."

See Page 182 of the Owners Manual I linked earlier for the rotation diagram.

I know most MH folks never rotate their tires but it is what the manual recommends.
Yes that makes total sense to me !!!
I just did not know a shop would do an alignment & rotate Duels as part of an oil change !!!
Old 07-22-2017, 09:21 AM   #49

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemac1947 View Post
Talking about oil changes, does anyone know how to access the front hood of a 2016
Georgetown 270S to check and add oil, there is no room when the hood is raised
If you haven't been able to access it yet, you might want to post this question on the Georgetown sub-forum.
lakewood90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:40 AM   #50

I'm able to do the oil change and many other things on the chassis but I have the oil changed at my local Ford dealer anyway. I'll continue to do that until the warrantee expires.

Why? Well the next closest dealer that can handle a MH is at least 1.5 hours away while the one I use is 5 minutes away. So they might overcharge on oil changes but I write it off to keeping a good relationship going instead of being "that guy" who only comes in when he has a problem he can't fix. Yeah they have to do the work blah, blah, blah. But they can always put you at the back of the line too, among other things.

Once that warranty expires THEN I have more options for repair shops and THEN I'll do the oil changes etc. It's the price I'll gladly pay to make sure I'm numero uno and able to exert some pressure to get the work done fast to prevent the MH sitting for weeks during the summer.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:58 AM   #51

Quote:
Strange I have read some say 6 Qts - some say 6.5 Qts and some say 7 Qts !!!
They are all hard to check when the Mobil One is new & clean !!!
Just finished looking in the chassis owners guide my 2011 GT capacity is 7 qts.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:33 AM   #52

GT stands for Georgetown right ???
Man would I love to have a FORD GT !!!
LOL !!!
Old 07-22-2017, 10:38 AM   #53

Quote:
GT stands for Georgetown right ???
Man would I love to have a FORD GT !!!
LOL !!!
Yup[emoji16]
Old 07-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #54

Quote:
I cannot be bothered crawling under our unit to change the oil and filter. By doing ones self you have to dispose of the filter and oil and that is a bit of a pain. We get our oil changed for 102.97 plus tax but there is a lot more to it than that. They check tire pressure and rotate the ties if needed, check the alignment Check the brakes.check the battery, rad coolant, Wiper blades , brake fluid, transmission fluid, wiper blades, and drive belts and give us a condition report of the unit as a whole.
A standard oil change on my 2010 F-150 is $82.41. Plus if anything is screwed up , filter leaking etc. they will stand behind their work. Brandon2
Go to Fords web site for the "Works" oil change coupon for your F150. It's 39 bucks plus tax ! That $ 82.41 is way to much !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:38 PM   #55
Site Team

Even after paying an "oversize vehicle" fee my first service; oil and filter change, front tire rotation, installing the zerk fittings and lubing the front suspension, and the Multi-point inspection was $49.00. That was with Ford's Synthetic Blend Oil, not the pure Synthetic. I'm not even going to consider doing my own maintenance at those prices...
Old 07-22-2017, 05:21 PM   #56

Rotating tires on any vehicle is a must, and a front end aligned is extremely important. even alignment on a travel trailer or 5th wheel. I have seen trailers "dog tracking" because the axels were not aligned.
When we bought our 2014 the front end was out and once it was aligned it saved a lot of wear on the tires. and it tracked right down the center of the lane, before it was all over the road. Probably the previous owner had hit a curb or never touched the factory setting. After all they are the only thing that keeps the unit off of the pavement and there is nothing worse than driving with having to fight the wheel to keep the unit straight.
There is a story about a guy , buys a new travel trailer and the wheels were so far out of balance he blew a bearing taking it home. He was over 100 miles from the dealer and because of that they would not cover the cost. These units leave the factory with no wheel balancing or alignment. Buyer beware !! not to mention the safety issue. When on the highway there is a lot going on back there.

Brandon2
2014 2500TS
Sun Seeker
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:04 AM   #57

Quote:
Rotating tires on any vehicle is a must, and a front end aligned is extremely important. even alignment on a travel trailer or 5th wheel. I have seen trailers "dog tracking" because the axels were not aligned.
When we bought our 2014 the front end was out and once it was aligned it saved a lot of wear on the tires. and it tracked right down the center of the lane, before it was all over the road. Probably the previous owner had hit a curb or never touched the factory setting. After all they are the only thing that keeps the unit off of the pavement and there is nothing worse than driving with having to fight the wheel to keep the unit straight.
There is a story about a guy , buys a new travel trailer and the wheels were so far out of balance he blew a bearing taking it home. He was over 100 miles from the dealer and because of that they would not cover the cost. These units leave the factory with no wheel balancing or alignment. Buyer beware !! not to mention the safety issue. When on the highway there is a lot going on back there.

Brandon2
2014 2500TS
Sun Seeker
I don't think anyone is saying that front tires on a MH should not be rotated,,, or that the Alignment should not be checked from time to time,,,
What I was saying was I find it hard to believe that a shop would rotate MH tires every time & do an Alignment every time you got your oil changed ???
Sorry Brandon,,, but I believe you are being raped on both your MH & F-150 oil changes !!!
Old 07-23-2017, 04:46 PM   #58

I must have miss worded that. I did not mean you would align the front end and rotate tires every time you do an oil change. That would be silly. How about when the unit seems to steer differently and it shows some tire wear.

Brandon2
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:59 PM   #59
DMC
Retired Military

Isn't 5W20 for the 30 valve and 5W30 for the 20 valve ?
DMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:09 PM   #60

Dmc-- wondering which reply and who you're referring to?

Tags
ford