RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-25-2014, 09:29 AM   #21

We had a 38 foot class A gasser on a Ford V10 chassis and now have a 24 foot class C diesel on a MB Sprinter chassis. The class A was fabulous, but every manouver you made had to be planned. The class C drives like a mini van and can even be parallel parked (I've done it a number of times)and can do a U turn on most streets. The class C is so manouverable and driveable that we do not bother to pull a car. If I watch my speed I can get almost double the mileage out of it as well. I really miss the size and comfort of the class A, but there are definitely major postive things about the class C.
We will likely buy another class A if we retire and full time, but travelling in a class C is much less complicated.
Mike
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:32 AM   #22

When looking at Class C's, I always felt that the cockpit area was a waste when set up at a site. In our Georgetown, we turn the drivers seat 180* and use the passenger seat + dash as a computer desk. Makes the full length useable.

that said, most of the Class C's seemed to cost less than the A's.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 02:05 PM   #23

It's just me, but if I could get a Class A for the same amount of a Class C, I would definitely go with the A.

Class C = More aerodynamic, less expensive, if shorter easier to drive

Class A = No wasted cockpit space, bigger means more stuff and more space, I would think better resale value
Old 05-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #24

We settled on a Georgetown 280 after looking at every C and small A on the market.
I'm a big guy and the C cockpit in all of them cramped me in the passenger seat and turning the seats 180 degrees (where available) was a good days exercise and not nearly as comfy as the A's we sat in.
The choice of a 280 was largely personal taste (it has now been discontinued in favor of the 270 so...so much for our taste! LOL) ...but we did want the fiberglass roof that a lot of other small A's don't offer.
With the FR3's and ACE's and other small A's gettable starting right at around $70k...it has now become much less about a price difference and much more about the kind of RVing you want to do it seems.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:43 PM   #25

What about class B's? They always seem to miss out on these discussions. Easier drivability right? What are the cons? Smaller?

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:34 PM   #26

Less space, less storage, same cost!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #27

Having just bought a 32' class C I will say the biggest deal really is the wasted cab space when setup. On a Class C the cab is useless where as on an A class you get usable captains seats. Not to mention the cab is certainly smaller when driving the thing.

No one has mentioned this but I think you get a heavier, more stable ride out of an A class as opposed to the C class. When a truck passes us in our C class on the highway it can be a white knuckle experience.
howzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:39 AM   #28

so much info --- thanks for all the comments. The cab usability hit home as one of the things we are looking for is evening sitting around comfort. The small units are usually limited to a sofa and dinette for seating. The ability to pin the cab seats around are a huge factor in decision.

for once we are really taking out time with this and we will find the right one.
thanx
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:58 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovetail View Post
so much info --- thanks for all the comments. The cab usability hit home as one of the things we are looking for is evening sitting around comfort. The small units are usually limited to a sofa and dinette for seating. The ability to pin the cab seats around are a huge factor in decision.

for once we are really taking out time with this and we will find the right one.
thanx
Just a word of warning. Have the seller turn the seats for you.

Some owners of some Georgetown models cannot turn the drivers seat. It sure is nice in our unit and I have seen lots of others where they were turned.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by zook View Post
When I went to my dealer the sales person greeted me and asked if I knew what I wanted.. my answer was "yes a great big class A,, but that's not what I need."

For me, the wife and a couple of big dogs a 31' class C with the entertainment center up front instead of the bunk was our best way to go. Has the same Ford V10 and the class A and has all the power to tow our Wrangler Unlimited.

People ask us, how many people can you sleep in there? the answer is always the same..2 people and 2 dogs..
these are really nice class C`s buddy at work just picket up one. has the TV above the cab
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-class-super-c-diesel-motorhomes-36G-Ghost (8).jpg
Views:	148
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	53462  

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #31

true that you can't use the cab on a class c but you get the huge permanent bunk over the cab. On a class a you can get one with the bunk but its not permanent it has to fold down.
motodude79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:40 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by motodude79 View Post
true that you can't use the cab on a class c but you get the huge permanent bunk over the cab. On a class a you can get one with the bunk but its not permanent it has to fold down.
It doesn't matter if it's permanent or not. Sleeping quarters are sleeping quarters. The truth is that you loose that space in a Class C no matter how you look at it.

I think were the Class C shines is for people that don't like the big feel of a Class A. The Class C is more like driving a regular truck which most are used to. Even better yet, it feels like a regular truck without the rig issue while backing up like a TT or 5er.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:51 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
It doesn't matter if it's permanent or not. Sleeping quarters are sleeping quarters. The truth is that you loose that space in a Class C no matter how you look at it.

I think were the Class C shines is for people that don't like the big feel of a Class A. The Class C is more like driving a regular truck which most are used to. Even better yet, it feels like a regular truck without the rig issue while backing up like a TT or 5er.
It matters to me and my wife that the beds are permanent. We have 3 small kids. We're the ones that have to do all the work setting up the beds. That is one of the main reasons I went with a class C bunkhouse. We looked at a class A georgetown and hurricane and both had fold down bunks over the cab. The other reason was just the size. We didn't want something that was larger when the class C fit our needs and got better mpg.
motodude79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:16 AM   #34
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
these are really nice class C`s buddy at work just picket up one. has the TV above the cab
Isn't that the Super C class they just introduced?

Old 05-28-2014, 09:59 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
Isn't that the Super C class they just introduced?
yes, it is pretty nice but way over priced...and it has the junk 6.4 diesel.

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #36

Class C has a crash worthy front end. Class A has fiberglass between you and the crash.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:59 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
Class C has a crash worthy front end. Class A has fiberglass between you and the crash.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
That is absolutely true if you are riding in the cockpit. The only thing we have going in a Class A is that we sit higher...but it isn't much.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:34 AM   #38

A class vs. C class

We went from 26' TT to 35' A class last year. We liked them both but like everything else, nothing is perfect. With the TT we had the truck to get around in. With the A class you need a towable. Otherwise we have really enjoyed our Coachmen Encounter Class A.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #39

We love our B+ C- or whatever they call them. 28' with three slides. Queen walk around bed. It is just the two of us plus a largish dog and we have lots of room. Cabinets and tv over the cab area. I like that it is not as high off the ground as some A's and like the three entry doors. We use it for a short trips throughout the year and some time south in the winter.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:25 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzball View Post
No one has mentioned this but I think you get a heavier, more stable ride out of an A class as opposed to the C class. When a truck passes us in our C class on the highway it can be a white knuckle experience.

If that's the case your handling is not setup right. I have a completely stock Sunseeker 32 ft class c and have no handling issues. I don't even notice a semi passing me whether going in the same direction on a freeway or coming at me in a two lane road.

We love out Class C and we frequently have the debate on whether to go with a Class A or not in 4 or 5 years. The only only thing we'd like to have in our C is a bigger shower and vanity area, otherwise it's been perfect.

The ease if getting around will be missed if we move up. We have decided no more than 36 or 37 feet tops on our next motorhome if we go class a. I personally would like to go super c.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote