Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2014, 06:04 PM   #1

A class vs. C class

Thinking about moving over to the motorhome world.

What are the pros and cons of A vs C types?

We would want something in the low 30' range.
Need a walk around bed which most seem to have,
Although some are pretty tight.

Also would want comfortable seating for evening relaxing.
Love the recliners in my 5ver!

As some guy on TV says, "what say you?"
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:26 PM   #2

The C's floor plans are really designed more for family with kids.
I have owned both a and c.
With kids I would have a C, if it was just the wife and I, I would get an A.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:12 PM   #3

Never thought of it that way. Guess i figured various layouts were availble in both.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:53 PM   #4

I have had trailers, 5th wheel and now a 38ft motorhome (gas V10) and if I only had the money 15 years ago I would have bought a motorhome right from the get go and would have saved a lot of $$$$$.
I sold my 2011 8285WS for a 2012 Georgetown 378TS (38ft) and have 23,000 miles on it so far and plan a 10,000 mile trip starting the end of this month.

Now that I told you about me.
If you plan long vacations say at least a week or two during a year and some short local camping I would stay with a trailer or 5th wheel.
If you have lots of kids and are limited only to take vacations during the summer I would stay with a trailer or 5th wheel.
If it is for you and your spouse and you are retired and want to hit the road for a few months a year I would go for a motorhome.

Noticed I haven't said anything about a Class C....
I personally think they are ok if you want something easier to drive and it can pull a small car behind. Actually they cost about the same a gas motorhome.

So I would suggest to hit the local RV dealers and shows and look around and don't jump the gun so quickly. You may even find a 1 or 2 year old motorhome gas on Craigslist and you will save at least $50,000 to $70,000 off of retail price.
Most gas motorhomes are in the $150,000 range but NEVER pay that price as you can get that one for about $110,000 out the door which includes tax and lic.

Good luck and hope you find the one that fits your needs.
Iggy
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:58 AM   #5

My suggestion would be to go drive both that is what steered us to a class c the dw did not feel comfortable driving a class a and the class c felt to her more like driving her pickup .
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:50 AM   #6

check out some of the crossover class A motorhomes. They are a slightly small class A but have some of the features of the class C. Slightly shorter wheel bases and the drop down or power down bunk over the drive seats.

We were looking at the Thor ACE, Forest River FR3 and then ended up with the Coachmen Pursuit. At slightly over 33 feet it drives nice and is fairly easy to get into the camp sites we have been to.

Having worked on the class C cut a way chassis on ambulances for several years I wanted the slightly stronger chassis that is under the class A. The front leaf springs and heavier king pin type axle are slightly less work over the life of the unit. The van chassis with ball joints and coil springs rode better but required slightly more work and parts over the life time.

Just my 2 cents worth.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:36 AM   #7

The FR3 25ds is awesome. My wife and I are not full timers but find it very spacious. I could easily see it work out for one.
I have taken groups on Wayne tasting trips and navigated in and out of crowded parking lots with no issues. The stretch limos had to do 9 point turns. The cab over bunk is there if you need it but takes up no space when folded so the actual floor space goes up into the front seat area.
Enconcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:11 AM   #8

For the most part it is just me, DH, and two little dogs that go out almost every weekend. We have done the TT, 5vers, and almost 3 months ago moved into our Georgetown, we love it. I have driven it, it handles very nice, and I like to be comfortable. I believe it is all about the lay out, it really depends on what you are looking for and how much you plan to use it. Keep an open mind and just go looking around, when you find the right one your will know.

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:38 AM   #9
Certified Curmudgeon

We recently went from an upscale 5th wheel to a small Class A.
A lot of traveling looking after a lot of research.
We are similarly situated to Iggy so our needs dictated our purchase.
We traveled 10,000 mi last year towing our 39' 5er. We passed way to many places we wanted to stop at because we didn't fit. This year we are also planning another 5 digit miler. Our choice in RV made this trip a no brainer as we can stop almost everywhere. So what's best for us may not work for you.
Kids, pets, length of stay, distance and that nasty old wallet issue are all considerations. I will say that we liked some of the C's and a B but the DW wanted a private bath and liked the king(ish) bed so the field was narrow in the under 30' range. Our baby A came in at just under the $70k mark so we opted for basic and I upgraded as necessary.
As for drivability, the C's handle better out of the box but the A's are on Ford F-53 truck chassis which can easily be upgraded so the handling is just fine.
I can point you at some good picks if you post your specific needs. Hope this helps.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:54 AM   #10

It sounds like there is just two of you from your signature.

We loved our TT, but decided to move to a Class A because it was more comfortable for the kids and dog. If it wasn't for the kids we would have stayed with the TT as it was more than enough for two adults and it was used as an RV, not a home. If we were millionaires then for sure a luxury Class A. Keep in mind that we travel from OH to FL at least twice a year.

Now, if it was going to be our only home, then we would have gone with a luxury Class A...having the money that is.

If you are looking for an RV and want to move to a MH, then it's all about preference. To be honest, I don't know why we didn't look at Class Cs. I think it was one of those things were we decided to go ahead and get the best we could for the money. We started with a tent, then pop-up, etc., and I guess decided to skip one Class. Well, DW fell in love with the Georgetown and the price was more than right for a brand new coach with more than everything we needed.

Also, as you already know, you lose a commuter with a Class A or C unless you use a TOAD. We haven't had the need for one as of yet since we borrow G-mas while in FL.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #11

Hey, thank you for all those thoughts. We do not travel with kids, but it would be possible with a mh.
99% just the two of us. I would like to take some more extensive trips and it just seems a mh would be easier. We do have car that be used for a toad.

We are into that 6,4,2 guideline. 6 for cocktails, 4 for dinner and 2 for sleeping.

We get about 10mph with our trailer. Mhs get somewhere close?

Gonna have to mention this to dw pretty soon.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:36 PM   #12

Here is a great example for a used Georgetown near Dallas/FT Worth.
2009 Motorhome class A

This has bunk beds for the kids.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #13

Class A, all the way!!
Old 05-16-2014, 12:59 PM   #14

Yes a Class A is great for travel with kids as they can laydown or go to the bathroom without stopping. You can also enjoy SAT TV while driving if you have a dish dome that moves while travelling.
The kids will really like a lot more than a PU and trailer.
Have Fun!
Old 05-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovetail View Post
Hey, thank you for all those thoughts. We do not travel with kids, but it would be possible with a mh.
99% just the two of us. I would like to take some more extensive trips and it just seems a mh would be easier. We do have car that be used for a toad.

We are into that 6,4,2 guideline. 6 for cocktails, 4 for dinner and 2 for sleeping.

We get about 10mph with our trailer. Mhs get somewhere close?

Gonna have to mention this to dw pretty soon.
You will probably loose 2 or more MPGs. We get anywhere from 6 to 8 MPGs with our 20.5k lbs. F53 chassis with the V10. I don't baby it at all. If you take off from a stop much slower and keep it bellow 60 MPH, you will do better in a long haul.

To us is a win win because we can get to FL and back for about $1k which is much less than tickets for four people. Not to mention leaving the dog in a kennel, and a heck lot more fun than sitting in a plane. My only gripe is windy situations. I've improved the ride a lot, but it still makes you sore to have to concentrate through areas with lots of wind. I've corrected the problem with road conditions, but winds still do push it a bit.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Here is a great example for a used Georgetown near Dallas/FT Worth.
2009 Motorhome class A

This has bunk beds for the kids.
Would be good without the bunks . Just don't want to tempt the grandkids all that much
Old 05-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovetail View Post
Would be good without the bunks . Just don't want to tempt the grandkids all that much
Yup, and each bunk bed has their own TV/DVD player. Our kids love them.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Yes a Class A is great for travel with kids as they can laydown or go to the bathroom without stopping. You can also enjoy SAT TV while driving if you have a dish dome that moves while travelling.
The kids will really like a lot more than a PU and trailer.
Have Fun!
The other grandpa has a huge upscale mh. The little one keeps asking where my steering wheel is.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #19

When I went to my dealer the sales person greeted me and asked if I knew what I wanted.. my answer was "yes a great big class A,, but that's not what I need."

For me, the wife and a couple of big dogs a 31' class C with the entertainment center up front instead of the bunk was our best way to go. Has the same Ford V10 and the class A and has all the power to tow our Wrangler Unlimited.

People ask us, how many people can you sleep in there? the answer is always the same..2 people and 2 dogs..
zook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zook View Post
When I went to my dealer the sales person greeted me and asked if I knew what I wanted.. my answer was "yes a great big class A,, but that's not what I need."

For me, the wife and a couple of big dogs a 31' class C with the entertainment center up front instead of the bunk was our best way to go. Has the same Ford V10 and the class A and has all the power to tow our Wrangler Unlimited.

People ask us, how many people can you sleep in there? the answer is always the same..2 people and 2 dogs..

Not sure why people always ask the same question.