Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2017, 09:20 AM   #1

Alignment question

I have a 2015 Sunseeker 3010. It has around 9500 miles on it. I never had the front end aligned. I also have a safe-t-steer installed.
On our first trip this year I noticed a pretty good pull to the left. My first thought was the safe-t-steer needs to be adjusted back to middle. Is there a way to know if it is that or an alignment issue?
I should also add that I just installed hellwig front and rear Sway bars before this trip. I don't think that should effect steering, though.
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:23 AM   #2

Your first check should be of the tire pressure ensure they are both the same in the front tires. Has the position of your steering wheel changed when going straight on a flat not crowned road?
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Your first check should be of the tire pressure ensure they are both the same in the front tires. Has the position of your steering wheel changed when going straight on a flat not crowned road?

I run 75 up front and 80 in the rear. I check it right before every trip. When going down a straight away, the wheel is definitely turned to the one side more than middle and if I let go it immediately goes left. Not quite as bad not having my wife's car being pulled.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:39 AM   #4

Given you have checked for proper inflation and you were on flat road From your description I think I would take it in and have the alignment checked there is no reason to think its the safety steer unless for some reason you exceeded the limits of the safety steer. let the forum know how you correct the problem
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Given you have checked for proper inflation and you were on flat road From your description I think I would take it in and have the alignment checked there is no reason to think its the safety steer unless for some reason you exceeded the limits of the safety steer. let the forum know how you correct the problem

Thanks. I guess my thought was to get the alignment done, but wasn't sure if there was a way to tell which one it is. I really don't know if i readjust the safe-t-steer to track correctly, could it be out of alignment and cause uneven wear, while I'm thinking it's fine.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:56 PM   #6
Dragonship Captain

Did you install the safety steer yourself? It's been a while since I saw the installation instructions, but I would think that a few bolts removes the damper. Take it off and take it for a ride see what happens.

If that doesn't fix it and nothing is binding and the tire pressure is OK then it is indeed alignment time. I would bring it in WITHOUT the damper installed to preclude any whining on their part.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
Did you install the safety steer yourself? It's been a while since I saw the installation instructions, but I would think that a few bolts removes the damper. Take it off and take it for a ride see what happens.

If that doesn't fix it and nothing is binding and the tire pressure is OK then it is indeed alignment time. I would bring it in WITHOUT the damper installed to preclude any whining on their part.

Good idea about removing it to see if that's the problem. I did install it myself so I should be able to take it off, but some of those bolts are a real pain without an air tool!
Old 05-30-2017, 10:08 PM   #8

Red face Concord 300

We purchased a Coachmen Concord 300TS and by the time we had 2100 miles on it, the steering wheel was in an 8-2 slant instead of a 9-3 and I experienced a significant pull to the right.

We took it in and the front end was seriously out of alignment. We were told that they go from the chassis factory to the MH outfitter without having alignment done.

Ours was done for $150 which I thought was very reasonable.
Lexi2007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment