Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2010, 12:22 PM   #1

And yet another RV Question.

We have a plan to upgrade to a MH in the future.
In talks with DW and Given our situation (kids,pets,toys) we know what to look for in respect to floorplans...bunks/kitchen/slides/etc,etc.

But, Here is the 64K?....What is your preference & why between a class A and class C?

or what opinion/suggestions you have (if any) between the two?

functionality, drive, mechanical, challenges...

Thanks
2007 Sub 5.3L 3:73
Hot DW
1 Princess & 2 Busy Boys
Ventura County, CA
Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:36 PM   #2

It really comes down to what fits your needs best and your budget. We have had both.

With class C motorhomes you don't have an unrestricted view out the front when standing up in the rig like you do with the Class A. Depending on the unit you also have to watch what the towing capacity is on some class C motorhomes as many were lower than for a similar length class A. Many class C motorhomes top out at 31' in length so if you want longer you will be looking at a class A. With kids, the bunkhouse models are hugely popular and for good reason, you have two beds that are always made for the kids and aren't in the way of movement through the unit.

Exterior storage on many class Cs can be quite a bit less due to the way they are made than a class A so if you carry a lot of stuff you might want to pay close attention to that.

Since our friends are in the market for a smaller class C right now I will tell you what they have found. The class C motorhomes are running very high in price on the used market because of their popularity. In many cases you can get a much larger class A used for the price of a smaller class C.

Ultimately the floorplan sells the rig.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:37 PM   #3

Initially I thought about buying one of Cruise America's refurbished units mainly for cost. However, when touring the unit I kept hitting my head every time I went to sit in the driver seat and I didn't like that the driver was separated from from the back by being lower. I had a tt w/out slides and I wasn't sure I wanted to do that again. I ended up w/a new dp. I like the roominess and how you sit up high and can view everything. I have the bunks that give you more room for kids and they have their private area. I never drove or rode in a mh and driving has been an easy transition from tt.
Good luck
Old 07-29-2010, 01:45 PM   #4

We started out renting Class C motorhomes and after a few trips decided we didn't like them. The kids really enjoyed the over cab sleeping. My wife and I hated the noise level. Both road noise and engine noise made holding a conversation difficult at times. The ride was also an issue on long trips. After 6-8 hours of driving, we would stop somewhere and it felt like you were on a boat. You brain got use to the rocking and once you were on solid ground, you kept rocking.

When we started the purchase process we went straight to Class A's and didn't even consider a Class C. We test drove a couple and the ride and noise level was much better than the Class C.

We then made the mistake of trying a diesel Class A. If we hadn't done this, we'd have been very happy with a a Class A gas. However, after trying the diesel, the ride and noise level had me sold. A really big difference that I noticed too that I had not really thought about until driving the diesel, was the brakes. On the gas Class A's, when you hit the brakes, you can feel that you are carrying a lot of weight. The coach doesn't slow down like a car. You get use to leaving yourself a lot of room for braking. However, with the diesel, the braking feels just like a car. The coach can stop quickly and without that feeling that you are being pushed.
RoamingEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:07 AM   #5

Thanks for all your comments....they all are good feedback.
I can't tell you how much I trust your input. I had a feeling that Class C would be out of the question.

and in the context of comments, Take it one step further.
What do you think Class A or 5th wheel?

Sorry don't mean to bore you with this...just making sure when we are ready to spend all that money...we spend it wisely.

Thanks Partners
Hot DW
1 Princess & 2 Busy Boys
Ventura County, CA
Old 07-30-2010, 01:03 AM   #6

I have never considered trailers over a motorhome for purely personal reasons and because of a dangerous situation we encountered when I was a kid and my folks owned a truck and camper. We were camped off the road on a trip when a bunch of drunk idiots started making trouble around us. My dad had to leave the protection of the camper to get in the truck to drive us out of there. We got rid of the camper and truck immediately and bought the first class C motorhome. My dad said he would never own a rig he had to exit in order to drive away. Again, not a common occurrence but I grew up with motorhomes and will stay with them from now on. Nothing against trailers though and if I was going to pull a trailer it would most definitely be a 5er.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:04 AM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We did the upgrade thing from Tent to Pop-up to Hybrid Trailer and the next step was a motorhome. We were initially interested in a Class C and even went to Jayco's plant in Indiana and took the tour. However, as we finalized our decision all we were waiting to do was look for a good deal. In the meantime we saw the Georgetown line and the cost of the Class A with all the features on it versus the Class C we wanted was about $13,000. We figured the loss of our investment once we would upgrade to a Class A didn't make much sense. We changed our minds and went with the Class A. More room, more features, it was the best choice for us.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #8

We just upgraded form a tow behind to a Class A. The useable space in the Class A is a major bouns, like the bathroom, while driving. For us it made all of the difference, plus a Class A will have truckloads more exterior storage. The bunk plan was perfect for us, and Im very happy with it
mr.ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:27 AM   #9

Awesome....thanks again. just goes to show you how great minds think alike...we are not too far from your thoughts but you guys being ahead of the game and already owning a Class A definitely gives us a light at the end of the tunnel.

A 5'er for us woul dmean to shiop/buy another vehicle and that would just be another expense....not sure if we want to do that.

thanks again!
Hot DW
1 Princess & 2 Busy Boys
Ventura County, CA
Old 07-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #10

Class A, Class C or 5th wheel ?

My thoughts...

Class A
Is for full timers or lets say 6 month or more on the road. You need lots of cash to buy, use, store and maintain. You will need to tow a car for transportation which is another expense. Usually a diesel engine.
$195,000 and up

Class C
Great for weekend trips or a month onthe road during the summer. Usually lighter than Class A and most of the time a gas engine. You may still need a second vehicle. Easier on the budget to buy but still cost to maintain but less than a Class A rig.
$45,000 and up

5th wheel
Less cost than Class A or C. You will need at least a 3/4 ton pickup gas or diesel. Less expense to use, and maintain, easy to park. Easier to sell than a Class A or C. Has more floor plans to choose from. Bunkbeds, toy hauler. You stll need a place to store and buy insurance which is reaosnable compared to a Motorhome. Also the annual registartion in your state is less.
$25,000 and up

Truck
A new Ford F-250 with diesel $28,000 and up but you can also use the truck the rest of the year when not camping.

I have
I have a Forest River Rockwood Signature ultra lite Model 8285WS that is for traveling for my wife and myself 6 months a year. This is our 3rd 5th wheel since 1991 and love it because it is eawsy to pull, park and we have a truck to see other things in the area. It is light (under 10,000 lbs loaded) and very easy to pull down the highway with a reasonable PU truck. I have a 2003 F-250 long bed with the Powerstroke 6L diesel.

Now you have a little more information for you to decide what you really need and want. Hope this helps a little.

Bottom line...
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #11
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Class A, Class C or 5th wheel ?

My thoughts...

Class A
Is for full timers or lets say 6 month or more on the road. You need lots of cash to buy, use, store and maintain. You will need to tow a car for transportation which is another expense. Usually a diesel engine.
$195,000 and up

Class C
Great for weekend trips or a month onthe road during the summer. Usually lighter than Class A and most of the time a gas engine. You may still need a second vehicle. Easier on the budget to buy but still cost to maintain but less than a Class A rig.
$45,000 and up

5th wheel
Less cost than Class A or C. You will need at least a 3/4 ton pickup gas or diesel. Less expense to use, and maintain, easy to park. Easier to sell than a Class A or C. Has more floor plans to choose from. Bunkbeds, toy hauler. You stll need a place to store and buy insurance which is reaosnable compared to a Motorhome. Also the annual registartion in your state is less.
$25,000 and up

Truck
A new Ford F-250 with diesel $28,000 and up but you can also use the truck the rest of the year when not camping.

I have
I have a Forest River Rockwood Signature ultra lite Model 8285WS that is for traveling for my wife and myself 6 months a year. This is our 3rd 5th wheel since 1991 and love it because it is eawsy to pull, park and we have a truck to see other things in the area. It is light (under 10,000 lbs loaded) and very easy to pull down the highway with a reasonable PU truck. I have a 2003 F-250 long bed with the Powerstroke 6L diesel.

Now you have a little more information for you to decide what you really need and want. Hope this helps a little.

Bottom line...
Your Class "A" price is off by quite a bit. Class "A" Motorhomes aren't just diesel powered. Everyone doesn't necessarily want to buy a diesel. There are plenty of Class "A" Gas powered RVs that start in the middle $80,000s less if you buy new but a few years old. There are even plenty of diesels that don't touch $195,000.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
I have never considered trailers over a motorhome for purely personal reasons and because of a dangerous situation we encountered when I was a kid and my folks owned a truck and camper. We were camped off the road on a trip when a bunch of drunk idiots started making trouble around us. My dad had to leave the protection of the camper to get in the truck to drive us out of there. We got rid of the camper and truck immediately and bought the first class C motorhome. My dad said he would never own a rig he had to exit in order to drive away. Again, not a common occurrence but I grew up with motorhomes and will stay with them from now on. Nothing against trailers though and if I was going to pull a trailer it would most definitely be a 5er.

Wow NWJeeper,

Sorry to hear about that unfortunate adventure. I agree when it comes time to protect your family - you gotta do, what you have to do.

thanks for the input though
Hot DW
1 Princess & 2 Busy Boys
Ventura County, CA
Old 07-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #13

I know everyone's needs/wants are different and that is a good thing. You take a little piece from everyone's info and apply it to our situation. I appreciate all of them, gives me a lot to think about.

It is a big expense/investment whether is 45K, 65K or 195K. we know we are an outdoorsy familiy with kids...we camp out throughout the year locally for short distances and quick getaways. keeps the kids busy and the fam content. I like many of you grew up camping and DW enjoys it. we make our long trips during the summer and we are going further and further away every year (hence the future plans to upgrade).

I work in the same industry as NWJeeper and fortunate enough to accumulate quite a bit of of time off which helps taking the fam camping.

Whew.....now I need a cold one!
Hot DW
1 Princess & 2 Busy Boys
Ventura County, CA
Old 08-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #14

Its basicly what fits your needs, I started with a class a, up graded to another class a, then decided a toy hauler would be best, then a new toy hauler with 3 slides, then back to another class a, and ended up with another class a pusher. The toy hauler was nice , as you had your toys plus a vehicle to go out and about, the down side was having to stop more often for fuel. Plus side of Motorhome, wife can fix a sandwich while still on the road. Idiot driver who pulled in front of my police motor unit also helped decide since I dont ride bikes as much.I would recomend going to various shows and looking at all the floor plans and decide what fits you and family, a must is something with slides.
bad1032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:31 PM   #15
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Again, you have to look at your needs. I would disagree wholeheartedly with Iggy's cost on a good class A diesel. On a clean deal you can buy a Berkshire 390bh for around $150,000. There is a Coachman bunkhouse model that is similar to the 390 that can be bought on a clean deal for around $130,000. What are you going to use the unit for? How often are you going to use it? How long do you plan on keeping it? How many people will you be taking with you? If you have to have a vehicle when you get to where you are going can you just rent a car when you get there? (BTW, this is what we do and it makes more sense than having a 3rd car which goes down in value daily and has continuing costs like insurance.) How much storage do you need for your travels? Are you a short hop weekender or a cross country junkie?

These are the questions we asked ourselves. We have gone from a C to an A to a bunkhouse A to a Diesel Pusher bunkhouse A. For us the C didn't work because of the view, the handling, and the storage available. The first C had no slides and was a pain to take down and put up for the kids. The second C had the bunks but it's scary driving a gasser down a mountain in Wyoming with hydraulic brakes on your rig. We tend to take long trips and we find we can make better time with the motorhome because our stops are very short for everything but fuel. Everyone can do their own thing in the motorhome without getting on each other's nerves, at least to a certain extent. Those of you with teens know what I mean!
Old 08-04-2010, 03:20 PM   #16

TaxMan,

Yes - We are Short-Hop weekenders (while the kids are in School).
Yes - We would like to become Long-Trip junkies (Summer & Holidays)

Yes, I think we've seen that class A (Coachmen BH) for close to 119K. (but Berkisher's are nicer)

but I think (Iggy's comment) a 5er/TV combo would still be cheaper. But will be happy?.......not sure

I appreciate the shared experiences with class C....it gives us a great deal to think about. I think it's either 5er or A. (either have to BH)

BTW - this will defintiely be a long term.
Hot DW
1 Princess & 2 Busy Boys
Ventura County, CA

« Hello | water leaks »