Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2021, 09:09 AM   #1
NXR

Any concerns about retracting SlimRack slides in 20-degree temps?

Because we're in TN and KY for the next three nights it will be way below normal temps. On Friday when we leave here it will be 21 degrees F at 7 AM and maybe getting to about 28 F when we leave around 9 AM.

The next day will be about the same, mid-20's on Saturday morning.

I already know I need to retract the main slide tomorrow when it warms up to 41 F, the one with the long topper that accumulates water, because it's been raining all day. (A friend clued me in on that one. He had the water on the same slide freeze and when he retracted the slide large sheets of ice rolled off and hit the ground.)

We're running off of tank water so there are no concerns with freezing of pipes, etc. unless the furnace quits or the tank heaters quit etc.

Thanks,

Ray
Old 04-01-2021, 10:54 AM   #2
Btm

SlimRack slides in cold weather

I got caught in an early ( Nov ) rain, sleet, snow storm in Northern Arkansas.

The morning we were to leave it was 25 deg. Most everything was covered in some form of frozen precipitation.

When bringing in the long slide, ice/snow/sleet started coming off the slide cover in sheets. Once the ice started falling I decided not to stop the retraction, in case the slide would not operate again. I was concerned that the slide or cover was damaged, but after arriving home, inspection did not show any damage.

There was a small amount of moisture on top of the slide after it was retracted, but a towel dried it off.

The SlimRack motors did not seem to be straining when bringing in the slide. I think the weight of ice/snow stretched the slide cover, but not enough to make any repairs. It now seems to move more if the wind blows hard.

I tried to add more tension to the rollers, but the sag is still there. Maybe it is the way it always was and I never noticed the sag before.

Btm
CHF rear, CHF front, Sumo springs front
Btm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:35 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I don't believe the cold temperatures to be an issue as far as the mechanical portion of the slides but agree, any snow or ice on them should be taken care of BEFORE retracting the slides. Toppers do help with this situation.

We are in the mountains of NC and headed to WV with the same conditions. I have no qualms about operating my slides in these temps.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:14 PM   #4
NXR

Thanks, folks. I think we will leave them out based on Btm's assertion. All the water stuff is disconnected and we do have a small heater and a Thermo Cube in the wet bay as well.

The winds today were "brisk" and really made a topper make noise so that blew all of the standing water off, plus it got to 40 degrees.

Ray
Old 04-06-2021, 10:14 AM   #5
NXR

As follow-up, the SlimRack system performed normally in the 22-24 degree temps for those two departures. There was no water or snow, just cold.

Prior to leaving Florida I had applied Rejex to the slide sides so they would be nice and slippery again. I don't know if that made any difference but I needed to do it anyways.

Ray
Old 05-07-2021, 01:35 PM   #6
Chief tinkerer

Good info NXR, thank you. We were in Denver last October and got caught in a cold snap. It was in the 20's the morning we were to leave and I had a heck of a time getting the leveling jacks to retract. I just kept cycling them up/down inches at a time, until the fluid had moved around enough that they would come all the way up. I would have retracted them the day before while it was warmer if I had known.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:49 PM   #7
NXR

If you have the same Lippert jacks we do, their operating pressure is 2,500 PSI. Cold should have zero effect on them because each one is rated for 8,000 pounds.

A more likely cause is one or more jacks, or the pump, is bypassing internally due to a seal problem in the cold.

You also might want to assure the Allen screws on each of the pump solenoids is snugged up. Those allow you to release pressure manually if needed.

Ray
Old 05-07-2021, 07:56 PM   #8
Chief tinkerer

Well, it did. The cold had an effect on the viscosity of the fluid. Not really something to overthink.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Old 05-07-2021, 08:39 PM   #9
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
Well, it did. The cold had an effect on the viscosity of the fluid. Not really something to overthink.
Lippert jacks use plain old DEXRON III automatic transmission fluid, not some special hydraulic fluid. Cars with automatic transmissions that would not shift properly below freezing might not sell very well.

Ray
Old 05-07-2021, 09:11 PM   #10
Chief tinkerer

Ok
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Lippert jacks use plain old DEXRON III automatic transmission fluid, not some special hydraulic fluid. Cars with automatic transmissions that would not shift properly below freezing might not sell very well.

Ray
Ok Ray.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS

Tags
slide