RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-03-2017, 11:54 AM   #1

Best anti sway bar

I am asking for people's opinions on the type of anti sway bars that you have added to you coach.
How easy were they to install, brand you bought and how much of a ride improvement did you get?
What I have found are replacements with larger bars and some you add to the existing rear bar so you end up with 2 bars.
I have a 2013 Georgetown 378XL, 24,000# chassis.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:23 PM   #2

I had blue ox installed in front and rear and made a big difference.
Pacostaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:05 AM   #3

After doing the CHF, I think the best Anti sway bar is the one that came with the coach.

Ford F53s come with sway bars installed front and rear. These bars have an adjustment that most F53 owners know nothing about. Its commonly refereed to as the Cheap Handling Fix (CHF).

The adjustment consists of moving the attach links from the front holes on the bar to the rear holes on the bar.

I've made this adjustment on my current and past F53 and the adjustment made a significant improvement in handling, especially in crosswinds and when large vehicles pass by.

You can re-use the original links when doing the CHF, but I'd recommend extending the links by 3 inches. Mine is an older F53, but its exactly the same on all newer F53's

Personally, I wouldn't spend any money on aftermarket suspension components until after performing the CHF and evaluating the change that it made.

CHF – Cheap Handling Fix – Fix for sway and handling – 1999 Southwind 35S

IMPORTANT - On newer F53 chassis (2006 and above) the rear attach point (sway bar to axle) have a bad record of the bolts being loose, falling out, bending the mount brackets. If you own an F53, keep an eye on this. I'd remove the bolts, install blue locktite and torque the bolts to 65 ft lbs.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
After doing the CHF, I think the best Anti sway bar is the one that came with the coach.

Ford F53s come with sway bars installed front and rear. These bars have an adjustment that most F53 owners know nothing about. Its commonly refereed to as the Cheap Handling Fix (CHF).

The adjustment consists of moving the attach links from the front holes on the bar to the rear holes on the bar.

I've made this adjustment on my current and past F53 and the adjustment made a significant improvement in handling, especially in crosswinds and when large vehicles pass by.

You can re-use the original links when doing the CHF, but I'd recommend extending the links by 3 inches. Mine is an older F53, but its exactly the same on all newer F53's

Personally, I wouldn't spend any money on aftermarket suspension components until after performing the CHF and evaluating the change that it made.

CHF Cheap Handling Fix Fix for sway and handling 1999 Southwind 35S

IMPORTANT - On newer F53 chassis (2006 and above) the rear attach point (sway bar to axle) have a bad record of the bolts being loose, falling out, bending the mount brackets. If you own an F53, keep an eye on this. I'd remove the bolts, install blue locktite and torque the bolts to 65 ft lbs.
Thank you! Right on the money with the warning! We have a 2016. About 2 weeks ago as we were on the beltway around DC a passing motorist beeped and pointed at our toad. I pulled over immediately and found the front tire of the toad completely blown away. At that point I wanted to just get the spare on and get the heck off the side of the beltway.

Later I noticed the sway bar on the RV with the linkages hanging nearly to the ground. That's right both were hanging! Got under there and the sway bar and linkages had absolutely no apparent damage except it was unattached. I'm thinking the bolts came clear off with one of them blowing out the toad's tire.

The Ford dealer bolted down the linkages and after I got the RV back I got under there again. Apparently they decided to double up on the nuts for more holding power? I'll have to ask if they used loctite and torqued the nuts.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
I am asking for people's opinions on the type of anti sway bars that you have added to you coach.
How easy were they to install, brand you bought and how much of a ride improvement did you get?
What I have found are replacements with larger bars and some you add to the existing rear bar so you end up with 2 bars.
I have a 2013 Georgetown 378XL, 24,000# chassis.
I think Waiter21 has the right way to do things. But to answer your question the work neede to install sway bars isn't that difficult. There's also a device to dampen the jitter of the steering wheel called a "return to center" which is essentially a sort of sideways mounted shock absorber that resists the sudden side to side steering. I've heard Roadmaster is a good product and if you call hitch source they can be helpful.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway