Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2018, 10:57 PM   #1

Best Refrigerator Setting While Driving

My wife and I camp in our 2017 Forester 2401WS We typically leave our refrigerator set to “On” and “Auto”, but have had the “check” light on the refrigerator illuminate a few times while driving in very windy conditions. The light goes off after pressing the “On-Off” button on and off. I assume the light comes on because the refrigerator was running on propane and the pilot light was extinguished.

Could anyone tell me if it is better to turn off the “Auto” setting on the refrigerator while driving and set it to “DC” instead?
CarolinaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:56 PM   #2

If gas failed then it would switch to DC, however I doubt your fridge is a 3-way (AC/DC/LP) and is more likely a 2-way (AC/LP). That is how ours is.

What model fridge? Do you just have “Auto” or “Gas” modes?
Old 04-22-2018, 01:19 AM   #3

Thank you. RV being serviced so can’t check to see if it is two or three way, but it would explain if it is a two-way system. Son just got a new Casita. It has a 3 way fridge with instructions to use DC setting while driving. Made me think.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:16 AM   #4

On some units they have had a "Baffle install recall" depends where the Refer is placed in regards to "Air Flow" under Normal conditions,add "Very Windy Conditions" and its a New Ballgame! I doubt your 2017 has a "Pilot Light"! Youroo!!
Old 04-22-2018, 06:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
On some units they have had a "Baffle install recall" depends where the Refer is placed in regards to "Air Flow" under Normal conditions,add "Very Windy Conditions" and its a New Ballgame! I doubt your 2017 has a "Pilot Light"! Youroo!!
Thank you. Didn’t know about recall and will check to see if the baffle is the problem.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:58 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBlue View Post
Thank you. RV being serviced so can’t check to see if it is two or three way, but it would explain if it is a two-way system. Son just got a new Casita. It has a 3 way fridge with instructions to use DC setting while driving. Made me think.
If it isn't a residential fridge, it's 2-way.
Casitas are a tiny trailer, therefore a tiny 3-way fridge.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 12:49 PM   #7

CarolinaBlue, your son just got a new Casita with a recommendation to use DC when traveling?

That is the standard manufacturer recommendation.

In my 20 foot TT when I use DC, I arrive at the campground with an almost depleted battery. If connecting to shore power when setting up, then no problem. If planning to boon dock, not so good.

I now travel with my TT frig set to LP. I then arrive with a fully charged battery.

Caution: Be sure anything using LP is turned OFF when fueling the tow vehicle.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormickJim View Post
CarolinaBlue, your son just got a new Casita with a recommendation to use DC when traveling?

That is the standard manufacturer recommendation.

In my 20 foot TT when I use DC, I arrive at the campground with an almost depleted battery. If connecting to shore power when setting up, then no problem. If planning to boon dock, not so good.

I now travel with my TT frig set to LP. I then arrive with a fully charged battery.

Caution: Be sure anything using LP is turned OFF when fueling the tow vehicle.
Thank you. Wouldn’t the tow vehicle alternator charge the Casita battery when the fridge is in DC - mode and being towed?
Old 04-22-2018, 04:18 PM   #9

Yes. The tow vehicle provides charging to the TT battery when connected and towing. However, on my TT and all others I know of (there may be exceptions), the refrigerator draws more than the tow vehicle provides charging. Thus the mostly depleted battery when I arrive.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBlue View Post
Thank you. Wouldn’t the tow vehicle alternator charge the Casita battery when the fridge is in DC - mode and being towed?
Most tow vehicle's 7 pin plug only supply a small amount of 12V power to the trailer to prevent over-charging the battery. The fridge set to 12VDC will probably draw more current than the truck can provide.
This diagram tells you the standard pin-out of a trailer harness, it might be a good idea to check the voltage at pin 4 of your truck's outlet to make sure it's at least providing some current.

DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
Most tow vehicle's 7 pin plug only supply a small amount of 12V power to the trailer to prevent over-charging the battery. The fridge set to 12VDC will probably draw more current than the truck can provide.

This diagram tells you the standard pin-out of a trailer harness, it might be a good idea to check the voltage at pin 4 of your truck's outlet to make sure it's at least providing some current.

The limitation from the TV to the trailer isn’t to prevent overcharging as the TV would end up overcharging its own battery as well. The limitation is simply one of physics and how many amps can flow through the wiring to the trailer before the voltage starts to drop due to draw from the trailer, at which time the amperage draw exceeds available amps and will start draining the trailer’s battery.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormickJim View Post
Yes. The tow vehicle provides charging to the TT battery when connected and towing. However, on my TT and all others I know of (there may be exceptions), the refrigerator draws more than the tow vehicle provides charging. Thus the mostly depleted battery when I arrive.
Thank you for some great information. I also sent you comments on to my Son with the Casita.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:55 PM   #13

We had the baffle replaced many years ago. Old refer goes down the road with no problem.
Portagie1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portagie1968 View Post
We had the baffle replaced many years ago. Old refer goes down the road with no problem.
Thank you. We have a 2017 Forester 2401WS. I’m wondering if the baffle issue was resolved before we took delivery. Plan to check with local Camping World thatvdoes our service.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
The limitation from the TV to the trailer isn’t to prevent overcharging as the TV would end up overcharging its own battery as well. The limitation is simply one of physics and how many amps can flow through the wiring to the trailer before the voltage starts to drop due to draw from the trailer, at which time the amperage draw exceeds available amps and will start draining the trailer’s battery.
I was wondering if it had to do with the carrying capacity of the wiring or how many appliances were running off the TV alternator. Sounds like both help to deplete the TT Battery.

Tags
refrigerator