Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2015, 09:00 AM   #1

Question Bike Rack Suggestions for a Class-C

We have a family of 5 and are looking for a way to transport 5 bikes with out Sunseeker 3170 Class-C. The options are:
  1. 5 Bike Hanger in Hitch
  2. 4 Bike Platform in Hitch + Hang 1 from ladder
  3. Some sort of enclosed trailer (used for other stuff too)

We're leaning towards option #2 for ease of use and the ability to hold any bikes like kids and step-through bikes without top bar adapters like option #1. I like #3 but we'll eventually tow a car so that would nix the trailer.

Wondering if anyone out there has been in a similar situation and has any thoughts or comments to offer?
knockando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:25 AM   #2

I have the Yakima holdup 2, expensive but its pretty nice. Locks to the receiver and integrated individual cable locks for each bike using 1 key is convenient.

I would say it depends on what type of biker you are. I can say that the guys I ride with that have the hanger style racks are jealous of the guys with the platform racks as they are just quicker and easier to load and unload. but that convenience comes with a steeper price and less bike space.

also keep in mind that the platform style are 2-3X as big so when not in use they take up more space in the garage, harder to put on and off the vehicle, etc.

My teen son and I go trail riding by our home and I love my holdup 2 rack for that. If I was buying for my RV currently I would get that 5 place rack.
6inthefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:46 AM   #3

Another consideration would be to put a front bumper mounted hitch for a couple of the bikes and do the same hanger type on the back.
If you're family is likely to evolve into multiple outdoor activities, like kayaking, motorcycles, etc....seriously consider the enclosed trailer. We call ours the toy box because of the forementioned interests. It's the more expensive option, but a really good investment for the long term. Those trailers seem to hold the re-sale value as well. Just my 2 cents.
Best wishes
RingoRoy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingoRoy15 View Post
Another consideration would be to put a front bumper mounted hitch for a couple of the bikes and do the same hanger type on the back.
If you're family is likely to evolve into multiple outdoor activities, like kayaking, motorcycles, etc....seriously consider the enclosed trailer. We call ours the toy box because of the forementioned interests. It's the more expensive option, but a really good investment for the long term. Those trailers seem to hold the re-sale value as well. Just my 2 cents.
Best wishes
I like hearing this b/c it's exactly what I though initially until my wife shot me down. I said in the long run purchasing a small (8-10ft) enclosed trailer will be the best so we can evolve. Man...more to think about but thanks!
knockando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 03:50 PM   #5

We are a family of 5 also in a 2011 3170DS. I modified a cargo carrier to squeeze in 5 bikes... However those five bikes grew in size and now 2 of my kids ride adult sized bikes. Bring 4 adult sized bikes and a 16" wheel sized bike was a game changer and they no longer fit. Plus 5 full size bikes are heavy! We already owned a 12ft utility trailer, that's what we now use. 👍

If you can weld and like modifying like me you can keep adapting other parts as your family grows, or just buy the trailer now.

I will tell you the trailer is easier and we can bring kayaks too!
Old 12-02-2015, 12:51 PM   #6

I installed a front hitch receiver on my 3171 and put my 4 bike rack up there. No issues at all - no overheating and can still see clearly forward of the hood. I tow our Equinox and did have a hitch splitter to mount the bike rack over the tow bar but I didn't care for the bikes hanging so close over the car.

In the photo I angled the ladies bike higher because I didn't install the cross support for the short trip we were taking.

https://goo.gl/photos/VdD8JAScjMFP7oCg6
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:56 PM   #7

Bought a Swagman 5 bike hitch-mounted carrier last year. It was great until I learned there are significant weight limits that are well below the weight of 5 bikes. Saw a guy dragging his family's bikes down I-75 last year. So, be sure to check weight limits to keep your bikes and warrantee in tact.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:29 PM   #8

http://www.northshoreracks.com this company makes a bike rack for six and they hang vertically. We loved it for traveling with six of us living at home. We did have to bend the part that held the bikes some since we didn't all have mountain bikes. If you are short, it is a bit tough to lift the bikes onto the supports. It might be a good option.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1449116965.439916.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	95457

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
MzZorro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack