RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-19-2017, 01:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
..Pulse charging is snake oil and while it can perform minor charging duties like maintenance...pulse frequencies have ZERO effect on sulfation and battery life.
I suggest you do a little more reading before making blanket statements. Two university studies were funded by the US army, who uses the product extensively.

Excerpt:

"The US Air Force Management Equipment and Evaluation Program also conducted studies of Pulse Technology and shared their findings:

This evaluation indicates that many batteries previously condemned could be reclaimed if Pulse Technology were used extensively; assuming there is no internal damage to battery, i.e.: plates, etc." The report goes on to state: "In conclusion, Pulse Technology worked by removing sulfation from the battery plates as the manufacturer claimed. It is unknown exactly how long a battery will last with Pulse Technology connected, but it is estimated at least eight to ten years of life can be added."

I managed to bring back 2 of the 4, 3rd ones on the charger now. Even bought PowerPulses to leave connected full time. When fully charged in the RV I could barely muster 12.1 volts under load. Now 12.7.

Feel free to keep buying new batteries that get only 70 t0 80% capacity after a few months. I'll keep rubbing the snake oil on mine.
Modmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:33 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modmike View Post
I suggest you do a little more reading before making blanket statements. Two university studies were funded by the US army, who uses the product extensively.
That's how snake oil works. I've been following these things since the mid 2000's and whenever they are subject to independent and proper testing...they fail to show any performance benefit over trickle charging alone. I suggest you read the post from MaineSail at the link. He in an ABYC certified tech who tests products using lab grade equipment for independent entities and whose word is the LAST word. But do as you please...you won't be hurting anything.
Money quote:
" In every single situation standard equalizing procedures has beat the desulfator and done so in a matter of hours as opposed to 6+ months."

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...device.184507/
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:44 PM   #23

I love how you refer to studies that dispute desulfation but ignore the ones I linked. I realize the internet loves echo chambers but this is a bit much. Opinions are not facts. The "people say" argument is no argument.

Don't ask me read something without even taking the time to read what I linked. The fact that the US army funded two 2 year studies and is now one of their main clients should tell you something.

By the way let me disabuse you of your cell equalization. The only reason cells become unbalanced is because sulphates build up on a particular cell, causing it to take and release energy at a different rate, thus the different voltage.

Cell equalizers are nothing more than desulfators.

It's time to start a desulfation thread.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:04 PM   #24

You need to take care of your batteries better. You will be back in less than 2 years with the exact same issues with your new batteries
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modmike View Post
I love how you refer to studies that dispute desulfation but ignore the ones I linked. I realize the internet loves echo chambers but this is a bit much. Opinions are not facts. The "people say" argument is no argument.

Don't ask me read something without even taking the time to read what I linked. The fact that the US army funded two 2 year studies and is now one of their main clients should tell you something.

By the way let me disabuse you of your cell equalization. The only reason cells become unbalanced is because sulphates build up on a particular cell, causing it to take and release energy at a different rate, thus the different voltage.

Cell equalizers are nothing more than desulfators.

It's time to start a desulfation thread.
I read what you linked and there is no actual report from the army or the universities where we can see the actual test performance and conditions or who paid for the studies (which was pulse tech in the university examples they give without links). Yes of course EQ = desulfation. Desulphators that rely on current and heat are quite different than ones that claim their pulses of a certain frequency perform their cell voodoo. One thing you might ask yourself is that with every pulse manufacturer using a different frequency and with ever battery mfr. using different formulations....how come one frequency supposedly works on everything.
You can have the final word but I'm happy to look at any actual test data you may wish to link to. I'll believe the extensive real world testing and evaluation of a guy who would do nothing but benefit from the sale of pulsers if he could only convince his instruments to report some benefits. I'm done.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:11 PM   #26

babcock,

Again, you are right and I fully acknowledge that. I am trying to get my buddy to allow me to install an external electrical socket in the back of his building, which would go a long way.

That being said, batteries will naturally and quickly sulfate, affecting performance. A place to plug in all the time will not negate the need for PowerPulses. Even if I did everything as per your recommendations (which i fully agree with) it would not prevent sulfation. It is my opinion that everyone should have these no matter how perfect their battery maintenance regimen is.

The $70.00 I paid for 2 devices is a small price to pay for better capacity, longer life, and most importantly, peace of mind.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:14 PM   #27

cam,

The results of the x-ray imaging from the study are linked and I think that says it all. PulseTech developed and patented this technology so anyone else claiming it is lying. Most current desulfators like the Noco Genius use high voltage pulses that can go as high as 60 volts to literally boil off sulphate.

I went through this in another thread so rather than duplicate my efforts in non topic specific threads, I am pooling all my info in a new thread on desulfation alone. All the information will be linked there.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:16 PM   #28

My suggestion....call up Trojan or email them. They email me back within a day or two. Ask them what they think of this device.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:18 PM   #29

Last people I would trust. Much prefer the US Army, unfortunately they are not taking my calls right now!
Old 10-19-2017, 03:25 PM   #30

So you prefer the echo chamber of the people that make this...got it.

Please post a link of anyone reviewing this device that isn't originating at the manufacturer's website. If this is so great, you must be able to find SOMETHING somewhere on the internet that isn't selling it!

Call or email any battery manufacturer and see what they say.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:35 PM   #31

I guess I never realized that this thing just attaches to the battery and has no 110V input? Am I seeing things here or is that what is really going on
Old 10-19-2017, 03:35 PM   #32

There are plenty. I am not preferring the echo chamber and I really have to ask, why is the US army not a good enough reference. Please take the following with the best intentions, I find you an intelligent person and a pleasure to debate.

Your refusal to even discuss the value of the US Army study and the results of the plate X-Rays is perplexing. You also seem to have spent no time researching or even accepting the possibility that their tech works.

Again, look at both sides like I did, look for and research supporting and contradicting information. Try to get hard facts, not opinions form self proclaimed experts, especially those that looked at this issue pre PulseTech.

Please save your posts for my new thread because we strayed way off topic. I invite everyone to the same and flame me in my new thread.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I guess I never realized that this thing just attaches to the battery and has no 110V input? Am I seeing things here or is that what is really going on
Nope, you are not seeing things. One is a charger and plugs in. But as an electrical engineer can you tell me with a straight face that you don't understand how a device can produce the same desulfating pulse using battery power from the very battery it is conditioning? I think you refuse to acknowledge that desulfating can be achieved with something other than high voltage,

It's all about the pulse.

But please, can we save the debate for the new thread? I can't get it done if I keep responding here.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:45 PM   #34

Sorry...this is it for me. This is just so hilarious. Yeah..it basically charges up a capacitor and releases the charge through a small coil to get a pulse. Sounds like something I would NOT want on my battery all the time.

I am done with this circus. Won't be joining the discussion on any thread you are on.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:57 PM   #35

You are guilty of two logical fallacies:

1) Straw man argument - no one said it's a capacitor. Doesn't the Tesla use it's own battery power to keep itself warm and performing at peak capacity in cold weather?

2) Willfull ignorance fallacy - Simply not discussing how the technology works and conversely why it can't is not a proper debate.

I am really sorry to read your last post, I was hoping to call you and thoroughly discuss what I understand so I can write a balanced post.

Any chance you could set you feelings aside and accept to help me come at this from both sides of the argument? I would REALLY value your input.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:34 AM   #36

That was fun ��
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:37 AM   #37

Wait until you see my new thread, kaboom!
Old 10-20-2017, 08:15 AM   #38
Site Team

Moderator note-- We appreciate the fact that this was a very spirited discussion with 2 (or more) distinct opinions.

Just a gentle reminder that it's not your job or anyone's job to change anyone's mind. Feel free to state your opinion backed up with what ever studies you care to mention and THEN LET IT GO.
Calling a discussion a circus isn't nice.
Please be nice.

We appreciate the restraint that was evident in many of the posts in this thread!

Happy Trails!
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries