Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2020, 11:38 AM   #1

Class A crash

I haven’t seen this posted.
You don’t get first hand videos very often. Hopefully everyone is ok, it looks pretty bad!

https://youtu.be/VuRtNajq-Yo

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:26 PM   #2
Broken Toe

I love his justification that he did nothing wrong. He claims it happened because the blue truck stopped suddenly. I guess blue truck was just supposed to drive thru the back of the white truck?

He's got another video were he goes over the video frame-by-frame like the Zapruder film. Doesn't change the fact that you hit the guy in front of you, its your fault.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:35 PM   #3
Site Team

Yep, failure to yield. I got cited for it once even though the truck I hit came out from a side road and came to a dead stop in front of me while I was doing around 55 MPH.

I don't think that was the case here though. If the semi had time to stop, so did this guy.

Although in the comments he insists that he didn't get a ticket.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:47 PM   #4
RV There Yet?

anyone else notice that he almost clips that white SUV when he tries to move out of the way? this is 100% the RV drivers fault.it didnt even look like he tried to slow down, just tried to go around the semi.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:49 PM   #5

most folks don't 'get a ticket' just because they were in an accident - it's called an accident because it's an accident. ... of course, we all want to 'blame' something else, when yes, he was following 'too closely' for conditions, meaning 'his' conditions as a large truck pulling a heavy RV needs to stay well, well back of other traffic....
but, then again, we all know what it's like to have someone 'suddenly' slam on brakes ahead of you, when things were going so well for the last 50 miles : )

no, authorities don't always hand out 'tickets' just because an accident has taken place, but you can well assume that the RV owner's insurance carrier will assess a nice 'at fault' accident pay-out to his record, for both the Liability of the semi-trailer damage, and his own truck and RV's damages... : /
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:58 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
no, authorities don't always hand out 'tickets' just because an accident has taken place, but you can well assume that the RV owner's insurance carrier will assess a nice 'at fault' accident pay-out to his record, for both the Liability of the semi-trailer damage, and his own truck and RV's damages... : /
He says on his second video that he was transporting the RV. So it may not have even been his!

Also said that the semi took off after the accident.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:04 PM   #7

appears that the blue truck came to a normal stop.
The RV driver had ample opportunity to move lane IF he had been looking farther down the road.

he claims no ticket. That may be so but the dash cam does not lie. He failed to yield by waiting too long to do evasive maneuver (change lanes).

Driver error.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:07 PM   #8
Site Team

Donno if it's changed but way back in my High School days in Illinois- if there was a wreck, someone got a ticket.
If nothing else it was "failure to stop" or "too fast for conditions" but someone got blamed.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:55 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Donno if it's changed but way back in my High School days in Illinois- if there was a wreck, someone got a ticket.
If nothing else it was "failure to stop" or "too fast for conditions" but someone got blamed.
I got clipped by a semi in Chicago one time that decided to make a right turn from the left lane as I was passing him in the right lane.

Cop showed up and didn't issue any tickets.

Although these days they won't even show up to minor accidents like that. It's up to the individuals to go find a police station to fill out an accident report. At least in the city of Chicago.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:48 PM   #10

Some years ago (like over 20) I got a call at work from my oldest daughter that she and my youngest daughter (who was driving) had been in an accident, no injuries, and police had been called. I left work and went to the scene.
Carolyn had tried to turn left into a shopping mall entrance and slid on some road slush into the path of an oncoming car. Other car was driveable and our's had to be towed. Everyone was fine but no sign of Carolyn when I got there.
The sheriff's deputy told me he had her in the back seat of the patrol car so she could calm down (she was crying her eyes out). She was at fault: failure to yield, driving too fast for conditions, temporary stupidity, take your pick. The deputy told me his report would show her as the cause and he should issue her a ticket, but he didn't have the heart to do so. This saved her getting points on her license. It was my car so my insurance took the hit.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:58 PM   #11

If it was foggy it wouldn't have been his fault right?

Tags
class a