Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2019, 11:53 AM   #21

I too had the exact dilemma and went with the class A, same floorplan. When I test drove the class C, the sun reflected off the windshield and cab-over bed causing a big problem seeing out the windshield with glare. The class A sits higher than the class C so when you are exiting a driveway it doesn't bottom out.
Ready2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:55 PM   #22

Class C, worked for us

We have a 3171DS We also had the 12 foot door issue, we bought a one year old unit, $$ was the big issue. We have not been to the mountains, so we don't know about the Ford engine, yet.
We like the unit and the short Queen has not been a problem, we try to spend as much time away from the unit as possible.
Cab over bunk is a nice day use storage, don't travel with much up there.
Wish we had recliners vs crappy couch, but maybe in the future.
Good luck with your decision
retiredintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:32 AM   #23

We have a 2016 Sunseeker 3010DS. When we got to the Appalachian Mountains, on the way to Arkansas, we put it in Tow/Haul mode. It went up and down without a hitch. The rpms were high, but this is no problem for the V10 with the 6 speed transmission, just floor it and go. It does slow down when going up, but she kept up with the Class A's. Just learn to tap brake on way down, to downshift for engine braking. But, like was said, it's personal preference. Test drive both types, don't just rely on what others like. You may want to rent a class c for a few days and then a class a for a few days, to see what you like.
2017 Ford Fiesta toad
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:56 AM   #24

We have had both Class A and Class C, albeit they were shorter. The last was a Sunseeker 2500TS on a E450 chassis.

The first Class C we owned was on a Dodge chassis and it seemed roomier both for driving and camping. DW likes to drive the Class C because it is more car/small truck like. The cab doors are more convenient, but a pain when having to use them in the rain. The E450 cab is like being cramped into a fighter jet. And, the swivel seats were difficult to position when swivelling and were equivalent to sitting on the floor when camping. It was better for storage.

The Class A was a Winnebago. The cab area was way more useful and we actually had our daughter's crib on the passenger side. We enjoyed the added space when driving and ease of getting from the driver/passenger positions to the living area. Both seats were useful for driving and camping. DW and I drove it without difficulty.

As for the OP's selection, the biggest attraction to the A is the king bed. Have you considered an Isata on a Ram chassis or a Super C? It would have the E450 features with a lot more cab room. If we were shopping, that may be the compromise we would consider.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:05 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
We have had both Class A and Class C, albeit they were shorter. The last was a Sunseeker 2500TS on a E450 chassis.

The first Class C we owned was on a Dodge chassis and it seemed roomier both for driving and camping. DW like to drive the Class C because it is more car/small truck like. The cab doors are more convenient, but a pain when having to use them in the rain. The E450 cab is like being cramped into a fighter jet. And, the swivel seats were difficult to position and were equivalent to sitting on the floor when camping.

The Class A was a Winnebago. The cab area was way more useful and we actually had our daughter's crib on the passenger side. We enjoyed the added space when driving and ease of getting from the driver's/passenger positions to the living area. Both seats were useful for driving and camping. DW drove it without difficulty.

As for the OP's selection, the biggest attraction to the A is the king bed. Have you considered an Isata on a Ram chassis or a Super C? It would have the E450 features with a lot more cab room. If we were shopping, that may be the compromise we would consider.
I am solo. no need for a big bed or Super C.

I am interested if anyone looked at, or especially drove, a class A FR3 or the 3011 or 3010 Forest river class C's

They look almost the same on the inside and are made by the same company. The only big difference is one is a C the other an A.

If anyone test drove both I would really love to hear from you!
alikair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:47 PM   #26

Class C 3011DS VS the the class A FR3 30DS.

My comments above are based on test driving both FR3 28 DS FR3, 30DS, and Forester 3011 on the same day. But again you need to experience it for yourself. Your perception of handling and what you may be willing to put up with is going to be completely different than someone else. There is nothing like spending time in both and contemplating current and possible future needs and / or desires. You don't want to be trading in two years and losing 40% or more on the trade, because you did not realize x, y or z. Don't ask me how I know.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #27
Chief tinkerer

Alikair, I can't give you a comparison, but I will share with you that we looked a long time before getting our 2017 3010DS. The close quarters when swinging your legs from the driving position to the right to stand and go back to the coach was a complaint we had. I swapped out the massive center console between the seats with a "Slimline" console like you see in UHaul trucks fixed the problem. Everything else, Ushaped Dinette, Theater seats, 4 door fridge with ice maker, are great!

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:17 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
Alikair, I can't give you a comparison, but I will share with you that we looked a long time before getting our 2017 3010DS. The close quarters when swinging your legs from the driving position to the right to stand and go back to the coach was a complaint we had. I swapped out the massive center console between the seats with a "Slimline" console like you see in UHaul trucks fixed the problem. Everything else, Ushaped Dinette, Theater seats, 4 door fridge with ice maker, are great!
Gidyupgo, do you recall where you purchased the slim line console?
BehindBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:40 PM   #29
Chief tinkerer

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d.php?t=120511

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, class c, fr3