Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #21

We are also considering trading our TT for some type of motor home. We are both retired now and are starting to make plans for some extended travel in 2015. we had 6 weeks of camping planned for 2014 until last week when I was told by doctor that I will need some minor surgery on my right shoulder. Our rig is a straight drive 6 speed ram 2500 with 34' TT. The DW is very intimated with just the thought of driving this rig. So I have had to cancel one of our trips already. We both feel that she would be able to drive one of the C class or even a smaller Class A but not the current rig that we have. So we are starting to investigate what will be involved with us trading our TT in for a Motorhome. We tend to move slow in making decisions like this so it maybe some time next year before we finally make a decision. we just don't want to get out somewhere and have to leave our current rig because something happens to me and the DW can not drive. She can drive the truck but not with the TT hooked up. Also she has driven a school bus before she retired. So she is ok with large vehicles.

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #22
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota EV View Post
We are also considering trading our TT for some type of motor home. We are both retired now and are starting to make plans for some extended travel in 2015. we had 6 weeks of camping planned for 2014 until last week when I was told by doctor that I will need some minor surgery on my right shoulder. Our rig is a straight drive 6 speed ram 2500 with 34' TT. The DW is very intimated with just the thought of driving this rig. So I have had to cancel one of our trips already. We both feel that she would be able to drive one of the C class or even a smaller Class A but not the current rig that we have. So we are starting to investigate what will be involved with us trading our TT in for a Motorhome. We tend to move slow in making decisions like this so it maybe some time next year before we finally make a decision. we just don't want to get out somewhere and have to leave our current rig because something happens to me and the DW can not drive. She can drive the truck but not with the TT hooked up. Also she has driven a school bus before she retired. So she is ok with large vehicles.
We are in the process of doing pretty much the same thing. We looked into trading our 2012 Cedar Creek and F-350.
The dealers near me were very interested in taking our rig in trade however they would only pay 1/2 of the value. So we decided to sell privately. After considering the tax on full price for the new RV, we will still be five figures ahead. We sold our trailer on this forum's classified section. Shortly, we will be advertising the F-350.
As for what to buy. That depends a lot on your wallet and needs. We have done some in depth research and have narrowed the field. The bottom line will be the $'s as there is little difference between the floor plans we like. They are all built on Ford F-53 chassis with the 362hp V-10.
The C's are on F-450 chassis. They have 1/2 the storage and are almost as pricy for the fully equipt models like the leprechaun and Melbourne. We tried to find a Dynamax but could not. Even posted in the MH section and got no response.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #23

My wife and I have had 4 different trailers. 3 TT and 1 5ver. The 5ver was extremely easy to pull and everything on it was remote controlled. We lived in it for a year and had no problems. While you can't use the restroom while rolling, you can stop pretty much any time you like and do so, you can likewise stop in a rest area or parking lot and have lunch as well. We prefer trailers due to having a vehicle to drive once we park. If you are wanting to do national parks etc, driving a class C through them will be limiting. We have now traded back to a toy hauler TT that is 36' and it is my favorite for real camping and has the option of allowing someone we bring along to have their own bedroom etc. As stated before you need to look at all you can, there are usually many RV shows in the spring and you can see a lot to get ideas from and talk to people there as well. Happy hunting.
Scott Colegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Colegrove View Post
If you are wanting to do national parks etc, driving a class C through them will be limiting. .
I don't understand the difference in the "limit" of a class C (or class A) versus a tow truck and a 30+ foot RV trailer. Some of the parks we've been to prohibit commercial vehicles but allow most motorhomes. My class C is 32' and I tow our Equinox and my overall length is much shorter than my old truck trailer setup. The turns are actually easier since the car follows right in-line of the MH.
Are there NP that actually prohibit MH but not TT or 5th wheel RV?

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #25

Quote:
I don't understand the difference in the "limit" of a class C (or class A) versus a tow truck and a 30+ foot RV trailer. Some of the parks we've been to prohibit commercial vehicles but allow most motorhomes. My class C is 32' and I tow our Equinox and my overall length is much shorter than my old truck trailer setup. The turns are actually easier since the car follows right in-line of the MH.
Are there NP that actually prohibit MH but not TT or 5th wheel RV?
Sorry I didn't mean to imply you can't go through the parks in a class c. Being a mechanic by trade I am inclined to have a few vehicles with a powertrain as necessary. I was under the impression that the original poster didn't want to pull another vehicle behind the class C. If you put the trailer in one of the campgrounds most of the parks have you are then clear to drive your tow vehicle. Works either way, it's just a lot of powertrains and accompanying maintenance with the class C (in my opinion and experience).
Scott Colegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #26

I can only give you our decision. We had pop ups, travel trailers and almost bought a 5ver once several times. I had a 2008 Dodge MegaCab diesel. Our original thought was to go fiver. But I took a new job and they gave me a work truck and it's hard to have a $50000 truck in the garage when it's not being driven so I sold it and later bought a 2007 Suburban 2500 with 90000 miles in perfect shape to tow a new travel trailer we were going to buy. Got a great deal on the burb.

But then we ran across the Sunseeker 3010 and we both fell I'm love with it and bought it. I've been to Maine, Hilton Head, Michigan and Colorado this last 1.25 year. It's a cruise machine. Doesn't have the raw power the Dodge had but it runs great and it has what I'd say is surprising power. In other words much better than I thought.

I like having the DW make me a sandwich while we are going or getting me a drink. Stopping in a Walmart or gas station is easy. We couldn't be more pleased.

In 4 years, lord willing, we will upgrade to a Class A and do some real traveling while retired. I truly believe each option has trade offs. Travel trailer, 5ver, motor home.

Right now we are fine and believe we will ultimately be in a class a however we have both agreed to look at the fiver once more before we go class a.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #27

I've had 1 TT, 2 5ers and 3 MH's including a DP, a Class C and a Class A gasser. Class C too small and very limited storage. We love traveling in our Georgetown MH. Much more comfortable & convenient. Can literally set up without going outside. Less expensive to operate than DP.
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #28

Owned pop ups, trailer, 5thwheel, class c and class a. Class A with toad only way to go.
msm1827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #29

I could have written this one year ago. We has 2 TT's, went to 5W, and now have class C. My husband's health declined while we had the 5er, and so we chose to go down to a C. You cannot beat the 5W (32' w/ 3 slides) for space. I had cupboards and storage spots that were empty, we had so much room. If you plan on lots of time on the road, 5W cannot be beat. Hooking/setting up can be made easy with more auto add-ons, but they are pricey. It was great to unhook for days/weeks and have the big 4WD truck to use. Even though my husband became a masterful parker with the 5W, there were many "discussions," and he did not like the idea that we could be far from home, and he be unable to drive. We chose class C because 1) easy for me to drive (we tow an SUV that is easier to hook/unhook than the 5W-don't even know it is back there), 2) it would fit in our inside storage space (5W too tall-so was a class A), 3) he can go back and rest/eat/drink while I drive, and I can monitor him, 4) class C has generator to support O2 equipment regardless of where we are camping. Biggest downside is loss of storage, but we carried too much anyway. We can put a few things in the toad, but we now try to travel as light as possible. Another downside is that we will not plan on spending months at a time in the class C, like we did in 5W. It is more for travel and 4-6 week trips. If you know someone who will let you try both, or rent, do it before you decide. We are happy with our decision, but it was a big one to make! Good luck!
dougpatz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, fiver