Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2017, 12:25 PM   #1

Class C Ride Height Clearance Issues?

Hubby and I are ready to trade our travel trailer in for a small motorhome (28-30ft). We've researched and gleaned lots of info - thanks to everyone here!

We've flip flopped several times on whether to go with a Class A or C and at the moment are leaning toward the C.

Our main concern is the lack of clearance and possibility of bottoming out on less than flat surfaces. While most of our camping will be in established campgrounds and not remote site boondocking, not all campground entrances and camp sites are completely level. Our own driveway entrance is semi-steep and pulling our 21' travel trailer doesn't pose a problem - but we're not so sure with a 30' motor home ... and our home is an hour from the dealership so can't swing by on the test drive. No steep inclines near the RV dealership either.

Has anyone had maneuverability issues with the lack of clearance, or damage to the undercarriage as a result? It was mentioned here on the forum to be sure the sewer connection pipe is located in a compartment, and not exposed which would make it vulnerable to damage. Are there other areas we should be looking at as well?

From what we've gleaned, the Class A (much more clearance) is more difficult to handle on the road due to its "less than aerodynamic body style" (someone else's quote - not ours). Nevertheless, we'll be test driving one today to get some first hand comparison experience.

Thanks for any input you can share - everyone here is awesome. You all were so helpful prior to us purchasing our travel trailer!
Save
Save
Save
Save
https://ourgildedabode.blogspot.com/

CA-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:53 PM   #2

That can be a problem, I have a 24' class C MH and have had problems with clearance on steep drives and some city hills. Not so much the tail end of the Rig but the stabilizer jacks, which sometimes drags. I have seen some class A which have a sloped rear end to allow for clearance The ACE by Thor is one. Good luck on finding what you want.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:56 AM   #3

We have a 3171 Forester which is approx. 31ft long and it scraps the road every time we pull it up into the driveway which is not very steep. Always dragging on those two angle brackets at the back of the motorhome. Have had it drag going in and out of gas stations also that have curb and gutter. Haven't hit the leveling jacks yet, thank goodness.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:22 AM   #4

We've had leveler issues in our short Class C

We have a Forester GTS 2431S which we LOVE (Stats below)! We've had it just under a year. Great floorplan for us and the full wall slide gives us extra room. We're small and yet we have good Cargo Carrying Capacity (not so much storage but we've managed).

We have had issues with our levelers dragging on our driveway and a few spots on the road / driveways where it's steep. Without the levelers we would have no issues. We have made the issue better by putting more air in the air bags. We're still waiting for this issues to be fully resolved by service.

Here's the link to my leveler issue which I will update once we have resolution -- hopefully in October.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ed-140864.html

Good luck in your search.

Nookaroos : )
Nookaroos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:05 AM   #5
Road Trippin

I have a Forrester 3011 class C. Love it, drives perfect but I too scrape the little scrape bars on the rear end going in/out of some gas stations. Not sure how long they are going to last. I try to drive out at a slight Angle when I can to help with the scraping.
pismolocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:32 AM   #6
Wait till next year...

28" Sunseeker and for the last 2yrs had only one instance of the rear hitting bottom when I entered an incredibly steep gas station entrance, jacks which I believe can be adjusted if too low have been fine
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:19 AM   #7

Thank you all so much for the info and replies. I think it will simply be a mental adjustment for us to go from not having to worry about our travel trailer height to being constantly aware that the motor home is much lower.

And that our journeys may take on a "safer" feel to them ... not taking chances on less smooth road surfaces.

On the flip side, the increased enroute comfort level they provide is a real advantage.

As with all changes, there are many pros and cons, right?

Old 09-08-2017, 01:10 PM   #8

We have a FR 2291sf (same as 2301but has a slide out) very big for the two of us and we rarely use the slide out. It is 25ft and no problems with clearance but we did put a wheel in the hitch hole and it prevents any scraping problems. About $35 on amazon. Works great.
CDRJML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:01 PM   #9

I have a Lexington 26ft class C. Love it, drives perfect but I too scrape now and then on the rear end going in/out of some gas stations, and I think any RV (trailer or MH etc. will have it happen at some point) I drive in/out at a slight Angle and that will help with the scraping, just the way you have to get used to entering/leaving.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:39 PM   #10

I have a 40' class A and I DON'T drag.... Airbag ride keeps rig at a height that I have avoided that issue - so far.... I hope I don't find myself in a situation where that would occur because I don't have the drag bars mounted underneath....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:52 PM   #11

My C would drag at a few entrances even coming at an angle. Never had that problem with the class a. The 6 point system on my 5er makes me wonder at times but so far has been good.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:22 PM   #12

We have a 2017 Forester 3011DS 32' Class C and a driveway that rises (slopes in an arc) about 5' over a 25' distance. We back it in at an angle and have no problems. Sometimes when we leave, if we don't cut the angle going down acutely enough we get a sloight drag. DW spots me going up and down and warns if there is going to be drag. We just finished an 11,600 mile Alaska trip over some of the most difficult terrain imagineable and dragged only one time at a gas station with a fairly severe slope.

2013 Keystone Raptor TH
2013 Ford F350 Dually TV
Rokslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:37 PM   #13

Sure do appreciate the info! We finally got to test drive both a Class A and C and our newbie motor home comfort level is with the Class C. Now to decide on a make and model - we've narrowed it down to 2 and it's been an overwhelming process. Will be so happy to be past this stage and on to our next journey! Thanks again for all the input!

Old 09-12-2017, 05:17 AM   #14

Which 2 are you looking at, maybe we can help you out?
Old 09-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #15

Then there were two ...

We have narrowed down our selection to:

2018 Coachmen Concord 300DS (local dealership - not nationwide chain - with affiliate service locations nationwide) and

2018 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV (Camping World)

We are really hoping negotiations on the Concord result in a purchase, because we much prefer our shopping experience at the local dealer. More personalized and less frenzied. Our experience at CW is .... well, let's just say it's a different atmosphere.

Thank you, hkreck!! Any and all input is appreciated!

Old 09-12-2017, 11:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA-Texas View Post
We have narrowed down our selection to:

2018 Coachmen Concord 300DS (local dealership - not nationwide chain - with affiliate service locations nationwide) and

2018 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV (Camping World)

We are really hoping negotiations on the Concord result in a purchase, because we much prefer our shopping experience at the local dealer. More personalized and less frenzied. Our experience at CW is .... well, let's just say it's a different atmosphere.

Thank you, hkreck!! Any and all input is appreciated!
I'd definitely buy the Jayco over the Coachman. My last 3 were bought from CW in Myrtle Beach and my next one will be too.
I had a 30' class c before the class a and found it very cramped. The cockpit took up so much space we went to a 40' class a. Not excited about the DP and finally another 5er and now a 43' Montana 5er and it is just right for the 2 of us and a small dog.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I'd definitely buy the Jayco over the Coachman. My last 3 were bought from CW in Myrtle Beach and my next one will be too.
I had a 30' class c before the class a and found it very cramped. The cockpit took up so much space we went to a 40' class a. Not excited about the DP and finally another 5er and now a 43' Montana 5er and it is just right for the 2 of us and a small dog.
Thanks! What are your thoughts on CW service?

Old 09-12-2017, 11:47 AM   #18

I think the CW service is like anything else, depends of the dealership and how busy they are. I think you'd be fine with either of the brands. I'd look at storage space for one and comfort.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:04 PM   #19

Good points! We start by hubby selecting a first group based on mechanical and utilitarian criteria and from there I make the next cut from that same group based on floor plan and cosmetic criteria. Has really helped to make a daunting task more manageable. 😄

Old 09-12-2017, 01:13 PM   #20

I have a 2016 Forester 3051 and I have never dragged the slides on any roadway yet. I do go over dips at an angle just to make sure.
radman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c