Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #1

Coach A/C vs House A/c....when driving

I'm curious if there has ever been a study done, or if any of you have done your own non-scientific study of which is better.

While driving down the road on hot summer days to you choose to run your air off of your motorhomes engine or do you run the generator and use the house a/c unit?

Does one way use less fuel then the other? Our generator pulls directly from the RV's gas tank.

Is it harder on your engine or harder on your generator?

On our Sunseeker I have choosen to run the generator and house air over the extra strain on the engine. I have a fan that sits right behind the drivers seat that I use to circulate the air up to the front.

Thoughts???
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

If it's just my wife and I the Dash AC is fine and I leave the vents open in the back. If we're traveling and our daughters are back there I run the generator and the front AC unit and the Dash AC for us as well. Either way we're still using the same fuel tank. Which uses less? Have no clue. There are too many variables to worry about. Time of day, amount of sunlight, outdoor temperature, and traffic conditions all contribute to fuel usage.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
Anacortesians

I'm with Charlie. Dash only when it's just I, DW and hounds. So far we haven't had any passengers (or that many very hot days either!)
Old 04-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #4

What Charlie & Frank said.