Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2018, 05:38 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
teach the family to take navy showers and normally there is no need to shower every day while camping. I have the oyxgenics (sp) shower head installed on my rig. Use paper plates and plastic utensils
You Navy guys had lots of water. How bout us "grunts" that learned how to use a wash cloth and about 1/2 a canteen of water to just wash "the important parts"?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:45 PM   #22

Lots of water for us squids? I served on a sub 40 years ago, and even now when I get in the motorhome shower I can hear the chief of the boat yelling in my ear to keep it short.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikedog View Post
Lots of water for us squids? I served on a sub 40 years ago, and even now when I get in the motorhome shower I can hear the chief of the boat yelling in my ear to keep it short.
Was it a nuke or a diesel electric?

All the documentary's I see on modern nuclear subs seem to brag about how much fresh water they can make due to the abundance of power from the reactor.

When I was in the Army, sometimes we weren't anywhere near water of any kind other than what was towed behind a truck.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
You Navy guys had lots of water. How bout us "grunts" that learned how to use a wash cloth and about 1/2 a canteen of water to just wash "the important parts"?
X2
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:53 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Was it a nuke or a diesel electric?

All the documentary's I see on modern nuclear subs seem to brag about how much fresh water they can make due to the abundance of power from the reactor.

When I was in the Army, sometimes we weren't anywhere near water of any kind other than what was towed behind a truck.
It was a nuke, but an older one (3rd one ever built). The fresh water evaporator was a tiny piece of junk, always needed descaling. We got one shower a week. That by far was the worst part about sea duty. We were a fast attack sub, so we didn't go under for months, however. Always heard boomers (missile subs) had more amenities, so maybe that's what you heard.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:07 AM   #26

Were'er talking camping here not the do or die situations of military life. Conversing water while camped without services can take many forms and is an educational problem. Shorter/less showers, recycle gray for toilet flushing, paper/plastic dinnerware,where you go (1or2); can make a big difference in amount of water use.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:37 AM   #27

As has been said already, use gray water for flushing toilet, ... a mod that makes that easier to do is a shutoff valve to the toilet, ... it's also useful if your toilet valve ever starts leaking, can open/close as needed until repairs can be made, ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0278.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	166525   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0279.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	166526   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0280.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	166527  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:19 PM   #28

We bring 7 gallon water containers that were purchased form Walfart.

Remove the plastic spigot. Install a male water house quick disconnect into the plastic spit hole by heating it up with a propane torch and then screwing it into the water jug to cut a new thread and make it water proof connection.

Go to Harbor Freight and purchase their 12 volt water pump. Wire it with quick connect/disconnect to a 12 volt power supply At first I used the 12 volt socket on my ATV and then the 12 volt output on my generator, and then a 12 volt waterproof socket that I wired and mounted to the outside of the my RV next to the water intake.

Use white RV water hoses to connect the pump to the blue water container and the output hose to the tank inlet. Put blue container on its side and turn pump on and enjoy easily refilling your water tank.

We carry 35 gallons of extra water with us for our week long camping trips and this really helps.

Another thing you can do is install a 30-50 gallon water tank under your bed-assuming your bed lifts up with underbed storage area.

Good luck!

Also, no dish washing-use paper plates and plastic utensils for everything. Male campers urinate in the woods. Use handiwipes to clean your hands. Brush your teeth with pure grain alcohol because fluoridated water is a communist conspiracy.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:20 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Male campers urinate in the woods.
Isn't that gender discrimination?

Old 03-31-2018, 10:30 AM   #30
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
As has been said already, use gray water for flushing toilet, ... a mod that makes that easier to do is a shutoff valve to the toilet, ... it's also useful if your toilet valve ever starts leaking, can open/close as needed until repairs can be made, ...
Nice work! Thanks for the idea.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:55 AM   #31

One thing I did is to go to Lowes and pick up a little shut off valve I installed at the base of the hose. So instead of wasting water turning it on and off trying to get the temps right again, I just push the little button and the water essentially stops (a TINY stream still flows)

Allows me to conserve water immensely.

Mark
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water