Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2016, 04:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodaman View Post
Recently, I have been doing some mods on our camper. I sometimes run the AC especially with the 90 plus degree days around my place. I haven't installed a 30 amp plug yet but plan on it soon. I am running a 10ga ext cord with the 15 amp adaptor. I only run the AC. I use flashlights if needed.

While doing a remodel in basement a few years back, it worked out we ran a dedicated 15 amp outlet. So I use that one only with that ext cord. The heat gun never has shown an increase in heat at either cord end. And the volt meter shows 119v when compressor is off and when it kicks on, the volts drop to 117v.

I probably have 6 or 7 more days where I'll be needing to do this. at the most, it is 5 to 6 hours at a time. When finished, I can start the process of adding a 30 amp box. Would this be relatively safe to continue this. Or should I just skip the work and add the outlet?

Thanks for the replies.
I would add the outlet and then go back to your mods. Better be safe then sorry. Your pushing the envelope now. If you blow the compressor from low voltage you will be kicking yourself. Your start up amps is quite a bet more then your running amps at FLA. Your right it relatively safe.....So why not just be safe....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:13 AM   #22

I installed one of these outside. I ran 10 gauge wire (with ground) back to the main panel. Mine took about 40 ft of wire to get from my panel to the outlet box. ($30 form Menards)

I have several unused positions in my panel, so I plugged in a 30 amp breaker.the outlet to the breaker.

The only downside of the receptical box is no breaker in the box. I make sure everything in the MH is turned off before plugging / unplugging the MH.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2016, 01:32 PM   #23

After seeing all the replies, I decided to get one of the 30amp outlets and a 30amp breaker and play it safe. That way I won't have to worry if I'm going to fry something. Thanks again for all the responses!
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:12 AM   #24

Just put in a 50 amp combo pedestal. It will have a 50 amp, 30 amps and 20 amp plug. No worries if you should upgrade your rig later.
1 Cockatiel-Lucky
dogsgocamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:31 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian217 View Post
After seeing all the replies, I decided to get one of the 30amp outlets and a 30amp breaker and play it safe. That way I won't have to worry if I'm going to fry something. Thanks again for all the responses!
That is great Brian, it's just makes sense to do now, Appliances cost a lot to replace, we have read many horror stories on this forum. Also safe travels to you and yours...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:01 AM   #26
7 Year Class A RV'er

On our old RV, we kept it parked in the drive with a 50' cord and a 30A/15A adapter. I believe it was 12 ga. We ran the whole RV (one A/C and the fridge plus occasional TV) with that while stored. Being in FL, the A/C was on most of the time. I did plug it into a separately protected circuit just in case but never had an issue. As for power consumption in the RV, your biggest culprit is when you fire up the microwave. Just make sure the extension cord doesn't run under anything like rugs, etc. that would catch fire if it happened to overheat. Check the cord from time to time to make sure it's not getting too hot and you should be fine. If it gets hot, go to the next larger wire size.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB with 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Gigi, Poppy and Sadie the Jack Russell (all 14 lbs of her)

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote