RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-22-2017, 02:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
Sharp

When you get the information from Ford, please post it. We just purchased a 2016 Edge and I want to know Ford's reasoning about the battery disconnect requirement. We bought it from a Ford dealer. Their expert on towing said without it the transmission would be damaged. I don't know how true that is.
Here are the results .... My SEL is equipped with LED lights and Ford says that if I was to wire directly into the PCIM (?) board I could fry the system.
We did not have to get a disconnect or make any other modifications.

This past week we flat towed from SC to TN. No issues. I followed directions in book to include stopping after 6 hours and running motor for 5 minute.

All was good. Car did great!

Prior Campers
1996 Coleman Sun Valley (1995 - 2002)
2017 Forester 3011 DS (2016 - Present)
SharpPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:00 PM   #22

SharpPi

Thanks.

The "PCIM" is probably "PCM", the powertrain control module, which is the main computer.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:15 AM   #23

Looking for something to flat tow ,behind my 2016. Georgetown. Recommendations!!
will vw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:16 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by will vw View Post
Looking for something to flat tow ,behind my 2016. Georgetown. Recommendations!!
We tow a Mini. Low clearance but makes up for the costs of a typical Jeep. Doesn't rust out on the frame either. Plus we got a used cheap but dependable Mini so all those pieces of gravel and other road matter pelting the toad doesn't bother us.😁
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:22 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc40 View Post
I also have the Patriot 2 and the power draw hasn't been any problem whatsoever. I can drive 8 hours and the toad starts right up.
I agree the Patriot we use doesn't kill tge battery. However I wired it directly into the fuse box using a piggyback fuse holder on a circuit that's always on. So when the Patriot initiates a braking event it doesn't turn anything else on. I've never ever had a dead battery even after driving all day long.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:23 AM   #26

We are having good success with the Edge

Prior Campers
Old 08-14-2017, 08:44 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by will vw View Post
If you want something fairly compact, yet not too small, consider a Jeep Liberty 4x4. We purchased a 2012 in Oct. 2016 with 8,012 miles from the original owner. It was purchased new by an elderly lady just before she had to quit driving. It had a clean car fax and still had the new car smell. This model Liberty has great headroom, cabin space, and side air bags as well. Unfortunately, 2012 was the last year for the Liberty. Most of these are trail rated, so they have some off-road capability. The good news is that we saw some really nice ones before we settled on this low miler.

This Jeep was so easy to set up. It has a neutral in the transfer case, so the odometer doesn't register when being towed. They do not have a steering wheel lock. The tail light assembly has a space for a Blue Ox tail/brake/turn bulb installation. There are two kits: one is incandescent and the other is LED. The wiring was extremely easy to run to the front. The only panels I had to remove was the far rear corners-also very simple. Once that was done, it had a totally separate system for the lights and no battery draw on the toad. I added a backup camera and a 7,500 hitch while in the process.

We used a Blue Ox base plate, a Blue Ox Aladdin 7,500 lb. tow bar, and a Blue Ox brake controller. The brake controller is plugged into the Jeep cigarette lighter. When we bought the Jeep, the lighter port only worked with the ignition on. On the fuse block under the hood, we moved the fuse over one slot and the cigarette light was then operable without the ignition on. Because of the brake controller drawing juice from the toad, I added an RVibrake battery tender with the feed wire going to the 5th terminal on the umbilical to the TV. The TV is wired so that lead is hot only when the TV ignition is on. The umbilical is wired to the proper terminal on the TV 7-pin. It is a win-win.

This was a totally DIY project except for the base plate. This would have been easy enough, but the prior owner had cosmetically damaged the front bumper cover. We had the body shop install the base plate while they were replacing the bumper cover.

This Liberty is pretty comfortable and peppy for a 4x4 with a V-6. It is very capable of towing as well as being towed. On average, it gets about 18-22 mpg, depending on driving conditions. It is a great toad, yet it has room for two bikes in the cargo area or everything we need for a day at the beach-including one-piece fishing poles. The rear seats fold flat as does the right front passenger seat. Our Liberty did not come with a roof rack, but I have found them on-line. They are also very simple to put on because all of the attachment points are already present.

Before our last jaunt to Florida, DW was opposed to a toad. She (we) wanted to drag the boat. It didn't take a lot of convincing to change her mind. Once we got to Florida, the MH may have well been on a foundation. It didn't move for 3 months. But we certainly got out a lot. She now refers to it as "my jeep".
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:38 PM   #28

I'm considering towing our 2010 FWD Edge..... Any recommendations ??? I'd like a braking system that doesn't activate when I use the engine brake... Any help there???
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:48 PM   #29

A Blue Ox Patriot braking system senses when you are decelerating and applies the towed vehicle's brakes. It does not connect to the towing vehicle's brakes or brake lights. It has a wireless remote with which you can apply the toad's brakes at any time. I use it to verify it's working.

I don't know about other braking systems but others on this forum can comment.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:00 PM   #30

With the engine brake causing the coach to decelerate I believe the Blue Ox might brake constantly..... I've read some where about a system that isn't activated by the engine brake... Just can't remember what it was....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:06 PM   #31

You can use the remote to adjust the Patriot's braking force, including dialing it down to zero. I do that when I'm in stop and go traffic. Even with it set for normal force, it doesn't activate when I lightly apply the coach's brakes. The exhaust brake may or may not brake hard enough for the Patriot to apply itself.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:52 AM   #32

About to set up a 2017 Edge. What is lost for memory with battery disconnect?
Loringj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:54 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loringj View Post

I have not had to disconnect the battery. The 2014 does not call for disconnecting it. I stop a run car for 5 minutes every 4.5 hours.

Prior Campers
Old 09-07-2017, 08:43 AM   #34

Quote:
We never lost anything when we disconnected the battery on our 2016 Edge.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:07 AM   #35

I am also about to set up a 2017 Edge, SEL with LED lights

Quote:
Hi, I am new to this forum & noticed your post & others concerning the Edge & I have a few questions.
Is your Edge an SEL, Titanium or Sport?
What did you come up with for your set up ?
I have done a ton of research & cannot find a real reason for the neg. terminal disconnect. My dealer & others cannot answer why, Ford help line refers me back to my dealer, so that is a useless loop. They all simply parrot the owner's manual to disconnect the neg. terminal, without any explanation. One dealer did allude to a transmission problem, saying it might shift into park under tow. I find that quite disturbing if true.
I would much rather install a charge line from the coach, but I have heard that it is not advisable.
Also, I am looking at the Hopkins HM 56011 light cable, recommended for the Titanium & Sport. Sense I have the LED lights, I think it should fit my SEL. It would be easier than slicing in diodes. Anyone have experience with this cable ?
Jim L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:41 PM   #36

Reply to Your Questions on Ford Edge Toad

1. We have a 2016 Ford Edge SEL with the 6 cyl engine. The base 4 cyl engine is not flat towable. The larger 4 cy engine is flat towable.
l
2. We are using a Blue Ox set up -

Blue Ox Long Shank Bar 84-0047 (needed for the KarGuard II)

Blue Ox KarGuard II BX88255

Blue Ox Base Plate w/removable arms BX2667

Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar - 6,500 lbs BX7365 (note that at least last year the latest and greatest Blue Ox tow bar (Avail?) would not work with the KarGuard II and Edge. If you are interested in it I would talk with Blue Ox. I wish I could have used it.

Drop down receiver adapter (I think it was a 4")

Blue Ox Patriot II Portable Proportional Braking System BX2016

Roadmaster Automatic Battery Disconnect RM766

3. I can not give you a definative answer on the battery disconnect. However, the best answer I have gotten (can not speak to its accuracy) is that if the battery is connected, the CANN bus (electronics) some of which stays on even with the ignition turned off can get confused with inputs that don't make sense when towed.

I find disconnecting the battery to be a non-issue. With the remote switch mounted under the coin holder on the drivers kick panel, the only downsides are (1) an inability to lock the drivers door (I have a non-key push button ignition and the door locks and non-keyed unless you use the emergency key), (2) having to reset the clock to day light savings time, (3) having to reset the last used radio channel (AM, FM, Sirius) - not the presets just the last used. If we stop and leave the coach I just flip on the remote battery disconnect switch and use the push button to lock the doors than disconnect before we depart.

4. I also have LED lights. I can only speak to my installer's experience last February. At my suggestion after talking with various dealers, he ordered in the Hopkins kit which was supposed to work with my car. After completing the install one of the rear light would not work properly. The installer called Hopkins who said the kit must be defective. They sent a replacement kit, it had the same problem. Hopkins than said the wiring must be in error. The installer removed the kit and used his normal diode approach. Everything works fine (and has with 3,000 miles of towing). I am not bad mouthing the Hopkins kit and it may work fine now - just relaying my experience which resulted in significant hours spent trying to make it work.

I hope this helps.

Toad - 2016 Ford Edge SEL AWD w/6 cyl
pkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:58 PM   #37

Usually the reason for disconnecting the battery is the key must be turned to release the steering lock before towing. With the key turned it would drain the battery while towing. HOWEVER, it doesn't matter what the reason is since this is an easy thing to do and required according to the manual.

Ask yourself if you really want to tempt fate or just put a quick disconnect on the battery to prevent any potential problems. If you use common sense the answer should be apparent. Sometimes spending all this time making calls and asking questions can be an exercise in futility and a huge waste of time as well. Buying a quick disconnect and installation takes no time at all in comparison.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:29 PM   #38

pkaplan, your reply was great, thank you. Yes my Edge is a v6, auto & w/ awd. I too have the push button start. I am using the Roadmaster base plate & their air brake system. I will take your experience & install diodes for the lights.
For the battery disconnect, I was just hoping that I didn't have to reach way in there & get the battery out to connect the disconnect. I'm getting old & batteries are getting heavier every year, LOL.
I am doing all the installs myself. I have done this 3 times previous. I have a big long pit in my barn & a full machine shop, I like to "play".

Chrisc40, thanks for your input too. I appreciate it.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:10 PM   #39

Hook up a charge line problems over

Jim
jimmiejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:56 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiejim View Post
Hook up a charge line problems over

Jim
I really want to agree with you, but even Ford & their dealers can't agree on why to disconnect the battery. With the potential inconveniences of lost presets, and/or the alluded to computer & transmission issues, I think I will go with the outrageously priced Roadmaster battery disconnect system.

Tags
ford, towing