RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-15-2017, 12:30 AM   #41

We purchased a 2016 Edge this spring to tow behind our Sunseeker on a Ford E450 chassis. Due to commitments we couldn't make any trips this year and I haven't set it up to tow yet. I did install a battery disconnect switch. I used a Blue Sea switch like the one on our Sunseeker. I will post a photo and more details on a few days.

I will install a 12 volt feed from the Sunseeker, but it will go to the brake controller, not to the Edge's 12 volt system.

As a side note, I had the battery disconnected for at least two hours while I installed the switch and went to get the cables I needed. The Edge didn't lose any presets or the clock setting.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:31 AM   #42

Here's the battery disconnect on our 2016 Ford Edge, which is an SEL V6 with AWD. I used a Blue Sea 6006 M (Mini) disconnect, which is a little smaller than the one on our Sunseeker. I bought it from Hodges Marine for $24 including shipping.

I used battery cables with ring terminals on both ends. I removed the ground cable from the battery and bolted a new cable to the ground cable's battery connection. I didn't have heat shrink tubing large enough so I taped the bolted connection heavily. Although since it's a ground it wouldn't have been a problem if it had touched anything (except the positive battery terminal!) I wanted it to be neat. I used some decking screws to attach the switch to a flat place on the side of the engine compartment.

One thing to consider if you are using an electric braking system like a Blue Ox Patriot is that if you power it with a 12 volt feed from the coach, when you shut off the chassis engine, you lose 12 volts to the braking system. Our Patriot 2010 has an emergency battery that will then eventually run down. I don't know how long it will last, but you may have to reset the braking system after a stop. In addition, you really don't want the emergency battery to be run down when you start driving, since its purpose is to provide power if the toad breaks away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Edge Battery Disconnect 20170823.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	338.7 KB
ID:	156453  
Old 11-15-2017, 09:37 AM   #43

RamblerGuy, that is a bunch cheaper than the RM 766 & is just as good, thanks.
Jim L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:05 AM   #44

I forgot to mention the cables were about $20, but overall it's a lot simpler than a remote relay.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:38 PM   #45

Plug for Patriot 2

For what ever it is worth, when the installer wired my Edge, he brought the brake away plug through the firewall and put it in the coin drawer (coiled up to be pulled out to plug into the Patriot). He also hard wired a 'female 12 V cigarette outlet' directly to the battery (so it will always be hot, even when the disconnect is engaged) and ran those wires to the same coin drawer. The Patriot has a male 12 V cigarette plug with a cord long enough to reach up to the coin drawer. This way I do not have to 'worry' about the internal battery on the Patriot running down when driving long distances (note that the Ford manual says to run the Edge for at least 5 minutes, I think, after 6 hours of towing.

If you do this, you MUST push through the 'Set Up' button on the Patriot 2 after turning off the engine and before towing. The Set Up button presses the brake pedal down 5 times to clear out the brake fluid pressure built up by starting the engine. It takes longer to describe this than it does to actually do it - and it is only needed after starting the engine - not connecting the battery to lock / unlock the doors.

My only comment on the Blue Seas disconnect is I believe you will need to open the hood and manually disconnect. I find the ease of the remote switch is worth the extra money - but you need to make your own decision.

Just passing these comments along for your consideration, I do not think there is a right or wrong approach other than what Ford and Blue Ox say.

Toad - 2016 Ford Edge SEL AWD w/6 cyl
pkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:51 PM   #46

I agree with pkaplan's comments. I'll look into the power outlet in the tray arrangement. I'll install an in-line fuse if I connect it directly to the battery.

Can you post a photograph showing where the power and breakaway wires go through the firewall?
Old 11-15-2017, 03:21 PM   #47

Thanks guys.
I just finished fabricating a bracket for the battery disconnect. Now I need to run into town (30 miles) for the cable fabrication. I will post photos later.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:45 PM   #48

2017 Ford Edge Installation of Roadmaster Brake Away cylinder & Marine 12 volt 300 amp battery cut off switch
As promised, I am posting my documentation of this installation. Ford sure doesn't leave very much room for adding parts or for my big hands !
Prior to installing the Roadmaster Tow Bar bracket, I installed the Roadmaster air, Brake Away cylinder & the battery cut off switch.
I am waiting for the Hopkins HM 56011 wiring kit before I start the tow bar bracket installation. If anyone is interested in photos of that, let me know.
The following is a photo sequence of that installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Towel to catch parts.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	157257   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Switch bracket.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	157258   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Attaching cables.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	157259   Click image for larger version

Name:	8 Close up of Brake Away cylinder & upper bracket in place..jpg
Views:	68
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	157260   Click image for larger version

Name:	9 Everything in place.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	157261  

Old 11-27-2017, 07:34 AM   #49

After looking at all the ways there are to install a brake system I'm glad I decided on the Patriot II. It took much less time and effort. One wire drawn from grill through fire wall into the cabin. The power wire tapped into the fuse box on a fuse that's always on even when the engine isn't so the battery doesn't drain. 2 wires, 20 minutes, and done.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:25 AM   #50

Advice on next ford edge purchase

We currently have 2015 edge that is not dinghy towable from what we have learn from owners manual. It is a lease vehicle so the plan is to turn in and get another edge that will support dinghy towing. We have 3ft forest river class a rv.

Can u provide feedback on other years edge specifications and experience in towing? What type of RV are u driving, and what tow package. Did u need to have adjustment to support baseplate?
What about the battery drain resolution.

Newbies needing help asap. Lease is up and miles are over...

Thank you.
dwalk44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:01 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalk44 View Post
We currently have 2015 edge that is not dinghy towable from what we have learn from owners manual. It is a lease vehicle so the plan is to turn in and get another edge that will support dinghy towing. We have 3ft forest river class a rv.

Can u provide feedback on other years edge specifications and experience in towing? What type of RV are u driving, and what tow package. Did u need to have adjustment to support baseplate?
What about the battery drain resolution.

Newbies needing help asap. Lease is up and miles are over...

Thank you.
The powertrain determines which Edges can be flat towed. Our 2016 with the 3.5 V6 and all wheel drive is flat towable, but the 2.0 with the CVT is not. Apparently the 2.7 can also be flat towed. We will be towing it with a 2011 Sunseeker 3100SS on a 2010 Ford E450 chassis.

You can download flat towing guides for all vehicles of any year model from Downloadable Dinghy Guides | Motorhome Magazine

You can download Ford Towing Guides for various year models at Fleet.ford.com. The 2017 Guide is at http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...e_r3_Oct19.pdf

I already had a Roadmaster Falcon 2 towbar. Roadmaster has two types of baseplates for the 2016 Edge. One, their 524444-4, requires the use of a crossbar, which I had for our previous toad. With the other type, the tow bar arms connect directly to the baseplate "side arms". I chose the type that requires the crossbar because the tow bar arm connection is higher and I did not have to use a drop hitch. I just installed it a few weeks ago and have not towed it yet, and I don't have photos yet.

Before I purchased the brackets, I asked Roadmaster the connection heights of the two bracket types and received this from them:

524444-4 car side is 14.75" from ground
524444-5 car side is 12" from ground

Starting in 2016, Ford has required the battery to be disconnected when flat towing. I haven't heard a convincing reason why, but I am following their requirement. I installed a battery disconnect switch, which I documented in a previous post in this thread. I will feed our Patriot braking system with a wire from the Sunseeker's 7-pin trailer wiring connection. Other posts in this thread described how they ran the feed wire. If you read through this thread, you will find that some are towing 2015 and earlier Edges and do not disconnect the battery.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:24 AM   #52

Ford edge toad

You should start with the dingy towing guide on the fmca web site. Then verify via on line owners manual / call to manufacturer (not dealer).

However, we tow a 2016 awd edge. We bought the 6 cylinder engine which is towable, the larger 4 cylinder is also towable. The base / standard 4 cylinder engine is not towable due i believe to its transmission.

We have a blue ox set up behind a e450 based coachmen 260ds class c. No problems towing and no battery drain issues.
pkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:14 PM   #53

I have a 2013 SEL Edge, that I tow behind a class C (Lexington). The base for the Roadmaster was done at a shop,so I don't know about any of that. I had a Toad Charger installed after experiencing some battery drain, and now that is fine. Started with a hitch receiver drop/rise due to height difference between Edge and coach, but after installing rear air bags on coach, it is not needed. I use a Brake Buddy, and if I continue RVing, would like a permanent brake system installed. I am a 63 year old woman, and all of this is pretty to connect. Edge tows fine. I have to remember it is back there, at times. I am considering selling the Edge,and think if I do, the RV community would be the best place to start. I've ironed out the wrinkles for someone else, I figure. Maybe you can find a toad ready to go, and save yourself the worries.
Springer Spaniel - Sheldon
dougpatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:51 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiejim View Post
I have a charge line from my RV to the 2013 Ford Edge. Never a problem. RV charges the Edge.

Jim
That is what I have too
lacrawgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:37 PM   #55

Researched 2015 ford tow guides. Looks likw our 2015 edge sport awd 2.7l can dinghy tow. BUT owners manual conflict with tow guide, it says "all wheel drive" cannot be towed on all four. What/who do i go with?
dwalk44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:23 AM   #56

I would trust the owner's manual.

Call Ford.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:54 AM   #57

We have a 2015 30 ds fr3. We tow a 2007 Suzuki grand vatara we donít even know itís there. We travel back and forth through the Canadian Rockies no problem We have a blue Ox tow bar... we also have the blue patriot braking system but we never use it
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:42 AM   #58

Everything I've read says the AWD can't be towed 4 down....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:49 AM   #59
Kanadian Kamper

ernest917.....

The only thing to read that really matters....the owners manual for the year of vehicle youíre looking at. The heading should be titled ď Recreational towing ď or something close to that. Donít listen to anything else.....the Internet, others, or for heavenís sake, the salesman.

Certain vehicles may or not be towed depending on Year, engine size, transmission. These things can all change just year to year.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S
and might rarely get pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:43 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
ernest917.....

The only thing to read that really matters....the owners manual for the year of vehicle youíre looking at. The heading should be titled ď Recreational towing ď or something close to that. Donít listen to anything else.....the Internet, others, or for heavenís sake, the salesman.

Certain vehicles may or not be towed depending on Year, engine size, transmission. These things can all change just year to year.

People need to remember that "Book" they got when they took delivery of their vehicle from the Dealer. It's really good for more than just filling up the glove box

All the vehicles I've purchased, the Dealer actually had a form I had to sign that acknowledged that I received the "Owner's Manual".

You'd even be surprised at all the features your car has when reading

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, towing