RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2017, 09:52 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastover, SC
Posts: 145
Flat towing - Ford Edge AWD

Got tired of putting my Escape up on our dolly so I trade it on a very low mileage 2014 Edge AWD. Owners manual says it can be flat towed by following a few simple procedures.

I went to my local camper store an ordered a Falcon 2 tow bar and all the other needed parts for my car.

However when I stopped by Ford dealer to pick up my extra key the service manager advised that in addition to what the owners manual said to do that I would need to install a negative battery terminal switch and cut the power to the car before I tow? No mention of this in the manual. He says it is in another Ford publication.

Wanted to ask other with knowledge of flat towing the Edge ... do I follow the manual or the dealer service guy.

Very confused .... having parts install on the third .... who is right?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1498402287.221741.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	427.1 KB
ID:	142663
__________________
Alec
Eastover, SC

Prior Campers
1996 Coleman Sun Valley (1995 - 2002)
2017 Forester 3011 DS (2016 - Present)
SharpPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:10 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpPI View Post
Got tired of putting my Escape up on our dolly so I trade it on a very low mileage 2014 Edge AWD. Owners manual says it can be flat towed by following a few simple procedures.

I went to my local camper store an ordered a Falcon 2 tow bar and all the other needed parts for my car.

However when I stopped by Ford dealer to pick up my extra key the service manager advised that in addition to what the owners manual said to do that I would need to install a negative battery terminal switch and cut the power to the car before I tow? No mention of this in the manual. He says it is in another Ford publication.

Wanted to ask other with knowledge of flat towing the Edge ... do I follow the manual or the dealer service guy.

Very confused .... having parts install on the third .... who is right?Attachment 142663
Did you ask him what the rationale was for cutting off the power? Did you ask him for a hard copy of the other publication? The owners manual doesn't detail the simple procedures?
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:22 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastover, SC
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
Did you ask him what the rationale was for cutting off the power? Did you ask him for a hard copy of the other publication? The owners manual doesn't detail the simple procedures?


He is getting me a copy of publication ... so we will see. Owners manual gave easy to follow steps.
__________________
Alec
Eastover, SC

Prior Campers
1996 Coleman Sun Valley (1995 - 2002)
2017 Forester 3011 DS (2016 - Present)
SharpPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:23 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 848
And they are?
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:28 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
RedLdr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 1,955
Alec,

Our 2016 Edge has the battery disconnect requirement in the owners manual. I believe 2016 was the first year it was published in the owners manual. I had my local Ford dealer install a Blue Sea 500Amp battery disconnect I picked up at a local boating store.

The reason Ford is now advising to install a battery disconnect is due to dead batteries while towing. When your TOAD braking system, I use a Patriot, presses on the Edge's brake pedal it wakes up the cars electronics, specifically the Body Control Module (BCM) and some other systems. The BCM stays on for 10-15 minutes each time this happens and after several iterations, without starting the vehicle, it can drain your Edge's battery. Ford had previously advised running the Edge for 15 minutes every 6 hours to keep the battery charged. I suspect most folks weren't following that advice so now they advise using a battery disconnect.

There are two ways to prevent this, a battery disconnect, as Ford advises, or with a 12VDC charge line from your motor home to the Edge's battery to keep the Edge's battery charged. Since I was modifying a brand new Edge, and wanted no potential warranty issues, I followed Ford's advice.

Installing a battery disconnect meant I had to pull 12VDC power in to the Edge from our GTS to power both the Patriot and the TowMate wifi rear brake lights I installed. Not a big deal it took less than two hours to run power in to the Edge and use two 12VDC adapter plugs, cigarette lighter style, to plug in my brakes and lights. I used wiring kits, and the adapters, from Deltran Battery Tender to keep the wiring clean and simple.

If you want more details let me know...
__________________
Wayne and Christine
2021 R-Pod RP-192 with OEM Solar
2020 Ford F-150 Lariat SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow Package with 1572# Payload
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:34 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastover, SC
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Alec,

Our 2016 Edge has the battery disconnect requirement in the owners manual. I believe 2016 was the first year it was published in the owners manual. I had my local Ford dealer install a Blue Sea 500Amp battery disconnect I picked up at a local boating store.

The reason Ford is now advising to install a battery disconnect is due to dead batteries while towing. When your TOAD braking system, I use a Patriot, presses on the Edge's brake pedal it wakes up the cars electronics, specifically the Body Control Module (BCM) and some other systems. The BCM stays on for 10-15 minutes each time this happens and after several iterations, without starting the vehicle, it can drain your Edge's battery. Ford had previously advised running the Edge for 15 minutes every 6 hours to keep the battery charged. I suspect most folks weren't following that advice so now they advise using a battery disconnect.

There are two ways to prevent this, a battery disconnect, as Ford advises, or with a 12VDC charge line from your motor home to the Edge's battery to keep the Edge's battery charged. Since I was modifying a brand new Edge, and wanted no potential warranty issues, I followed Ford's advice.

Installing a battery disconnect meant I had to pull 12VDC power in to the Edge from our GTS to power both the Patriot and the TowMate wifi rear brake lights I installed. Not a big deal it took less than two hours to run power in to the Edge and use two 12VDC adapter plugs, cigarette lighter style, to plug in my brakes and lights. I used wiring kits, and the adapters, from Deltran Battery Tender to keep the wiring clean and simple.

If you want more details let me know...


Thank you very much!
__________________
Alec
Eastover, SC

Prior Campers
1996 Coleman Sun Valley (1995 - 2002)
2017 Forester 3011 DS (2016 - Present)
SharpPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:37 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 37
I have a charge line from my RV to the 2013 Ford Edge. Never a problem. RV charges the Edge.

Jim
jimmiejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:39 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiejim View Post
I have a charge line from my RV to the 2013 Ford Edge. Never a problem. RV charges the Edge.

Jim
Now, that's the way it should be!
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:01 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,396
Sharp

When you get the information from Ford, please post it. We just purchased a 2016 Edge and I want to know Ford's reasoning about the battery disconnect requirement. We bought it from a Ford dealer. Their expert on towing said without it the transmission would be damaged. I don't know how true that is.
__________________
RamblerGuy
2011 Sunseeker 3100
2016 Ford Edge Toad
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:13 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 21
Caution

We used to flat tow a 2012 Ford Escape which Ford said could be done. I also installed a 12 volt line from the MH to keep the car battery charged. I read on a forum not to fill the trans fluid level above the low range mark because the fluid would foam up and burn up the trans. Everything was fine until some "technician" at the Ford garage topped off the trans fluid. This resulted in a burned up tranny which Ford replaced under warranty. Shortly after this we received a letter saying it was no longer recommended that our 2012 Escape be flat towed and doing so would void the warranty. We ended up down sizing our diesel pusher to a fifth wheel and we no longer drive Fords. I don't know if the Edge has the same tranny as the Escape but it's something to check into.
RonAnne48858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:44 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastover, SC
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiejim View Post
I have a charge line from my RV to the 2013 Ford Edge. Never a problem. RV charges the Edge.

Jim
I spoke with RedLdr1 and he said that is all I needed to do. Ford changed there policy on towing because people would not start their car every 6 hours to charge the car battery and would come back to Ford all upset.

I am told the Edge flat tows nicely.
__________________
Alec
Eastover, SC

Prior Campers
1996 Coleman Sun Valley (1995 - 2002)
2017 Forester 3011 DS (2016 - Present)
SharpPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:55 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 40
Towing 2016 ford edge

I have a 2016 ford edge awd with the 6 cyl engine. Note that the base 4 cylinder engine can NOT be flat towed - only the larger 4 and the 6 due to different transmissions.

I am using a patriot 2 brake which needs 12v. The installer ran 12v from the battery (hard wired to pos terminal and not disconnected with the disconnect) to a new socket he put in the left coin drawer along with the break away plug. When setting up the patriot i pull the breakaway plug out of the draw and plug into the patriot and pull the 12v wire up from the patriot to the socket in the draw.

The installer wired a remote rocker switch into the drivers left side kick panel. This rocker activates the battery disconnect.

The ford service manager told me that in addition to concern over running down the battery, ford is concerned that not disconnecting the battery may result in the computer getting confused by some inputs on the bus from the car rolling / transmission activated but othef bus signals not activated. I can not vouch for the accuracy of this statement.

By the way the new patriot 2 unit has a reduced battery drain. I do not have a 12v charge line from the rv to the edge.

Hope this helps.

Ps - you may need a step down receiver to line up the blue ox base plate with the receiver. I think mine is a 3 inch drop for a ford e450 based class c.
pkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:58 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,396
The owner's manual for our 2016 Edge says those with the 2.0 liter turbo engine cannot be flat towed but those with other engines can. They have different transmissions.

----

Edit - Sorry, my post is redundant to the previous one.
__________________
RamblerGuy
2011 Sunseeker 3100
2016 Ford Edge Toad
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:59 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
RedLdr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 1,955
It can be a real PITA getting flat towing info. Add in that some versions of the Edge, like the ones with the 2.0L EcoBoost engine, are not flat towable at all...

You can download the "official" Ford Towing Guide for your model year Here. See the Four-Wheel Down Towing page for a list of flat towable vehicles and the constraints.

You can download a copy of your Owners Manual Here.

You can find out which model transmission you have by downloading a Summary Report, or "build sheet" as they used to be called, at the Ford ETIS website Here. You will need your VIN.

Note: ETIS works for most Ford vehicles so you can also download the Summary Report on your E450, or Transit, chassis. I copied and saved the info on all of our Fords in to a MSWord docs.

Even with all these "offical" resources I would still confirm with my Ford dealer that there are no Technical Service Bullentins (TSB's), or any other VIN specific info, that applied to my vehicle as far as flat towing it...
__________________
Wayne and Christine
2021 R-Pod RP-192 with OEM Solar
2020 Ford F-150 Lariat SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow Package with 1572# Payload
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:02 PM   #15
Member
 
dougpatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Lakeville, IN
Posts: 50
2013 Edge

I tow a 2013 Ford Edge with a Roadmaster Sterling bar and Brake Buddy. Initially I had the battery drain issue, going only 30 miles or so, to the point that there was not enough juice to operate the Brake Buddy. I had a toad Charger installed, and no problem, now. Some folks are electrically gifted enough to install wiring to trickle charge the Edge from the coach. I am not, and my Ford dealer paid for the Toad Charger installation (long story). Edge tows well.
__________________
Patti Z.
2011 Lexington 283
Husband - Doug
Springer Spaniel - Sheldon
dougpatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:36 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
RedLdr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 1,955
Here is a photo of our Edge and GTS on the way to the Goshen Rally last year.



Although they are not required in all states I picked up a couple "Caution Vehicle In Tow" magnetic signs and place one on the lower left side of the hatch. The TowMate wifi lights I mentioned earlier are at rear bumper level.

I won't claim "I don't know it is back their!" but it tows very well and tracks quite nicely behind our GTS...
__________________
Wayne and Christine
2021 R-Pod RP-192 with OEM Solar
2020 Ford F-150 Lariat SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow Package with 1572# Payload
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:42 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Wisconsin/Florida
Posts: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
Now, that's the way it should be!
If you wanted to go the TV charging the toad idea, take a look at the RVibrake battery tender. Simple install using the 5th pin on the wire harness. Note, the battery tender only works when the TV ignition is on, no power with ignition off.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:43 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Hotsprings, Ar
Posts: 188
We have a 2016 AWD Edge 6 cylinder that we flat towed with the Air Force One brake system. I had my Ford dealer install a negative battery disconnect which was in my owners manual as a requirement. Dealer was unsure why possibly the electric power steering or power drain when the brakes are activated. The Edge tows great. Very happy with it. 4.5K on the odometer.
__________________
2016 Georgetown 328ts
2015 Fiat 500 Toad
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:50 AM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1
Ask another service rep
Shanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:15 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkaplan View Post
I have a 2016 ford edge awd with the 6 cyl engine. Note that the base 4 cylinder engine can NOT be flat towed - only the larger 4 and the 6 due to different transmissions.

I am using a patriot 2 brake which needs 12v. The installer ran 12v from the battery (hard wired to pos terminal and not disconnected with the disconnect) to a new socket he put in the left coin drawer along with the break away plug. When setting up the patriot i pull the breakaway plug out of the draw and plug into the patriot and pull the 12v wire up from the patriot to the socket in the draw.

The installer wired a remote rocker switch into the drivers left side kick panel. This rocker activates the battery disconnect.

The ford service manager told me that in addition to concern over running down the battery, ford is concerned that not disconnecting the battery may result in the computer getting confused by some inputs on the bus from the car rolling / transmission activated but othef bus signals not activated. I can not vouch for the accuracy of this statement.

By the way the new patriot 2 unit has a reduced battery drain. I do not have a 12v charge line from the rv to the edge.

Hope this helps.

Ps - you may need a step down receiver to line up the blue ox base plate with the receiver. I think mine is a 3 inch drop for a ford e450 based class c.
I also have the Patriot 2 and the power draw hasn't been any problem whatsoever. I can drive 8 hours and the toad starts right up.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ford, towing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 PM.