Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2023, 10:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jheiser View Post
Check Harbor Freight. I recently bought a 5 drop hitch from them for another project. They just might have what you need. Another place that has a large selection of various drop hitches is Northern Tools.

Are you towing the mini four down or are you using a dolly? If you are using the dolly have you had any issues with dragging the bike rack when entering driveways etc?
I am towing 4 wheels down. I originally bought a dual hitch but it was not a 6 drop and I did not want to put it on up side down to get the drop. I was told the upper receiver for a bike rack would not be strong enough for a car.
Larnold0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 10:59 PM   #22

This is my setup, I purchase my double hitch extension at Harbor Frieght. Thousands of mile with no issue. **NOTE in side view pic my motor home jack are down so MH is a little higher up to toad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9C0D9287-960C-491A-ACF9-E5C99D9F5B00.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	358.3 KB
ID:	283906   Click image for larger version

Name:	B5B0627E-F0F0-4E10-8E19-445C30B47B0B.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	344.4 KB
ID:	283907  
Tmrut5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 11:59 PM   #23

2 x 70LB ebikes. I have tried both the double hitch behind the MH and behind the toad suv. Preference is behind the toad. Reason being behind the MH may require extending cables, mine were at the limit. There is also the rocking motion of the large bikes on top of the double hitch, hard to get that out. You could also quickly exceed the capacity of the double hitch or your MH hitch, extending reduces the capacity of your MH hitch. Behind the toad, Hollywood racks build an excellent rack with capacity for heavy bikes, its flat towing certified, easy to load bikes and very stable behind the toad. The rack will even lean out by removing a pin to open the tailgate. And when you unhitch the toad, the bikes are with you so if you are planning a day into town and want the bikes along no need to move the hitch and bikes to the toad.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 02:56 AM   #24
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larnold0000 View Post
I wanted a dual hitch to tow a Mini Cooper behind my Sunseeker with a bike rack. However, I needed a 6 drop and Ive not found one. One person told me to use the dual hitch up side down but I have been advised not to do that - anyone know where I could get one? I put the bike rack on the Mini Cooper now
Gen Y Mega Hitch will offer what you need. More than what youre asking for and a bit expensive, but quite nice.
Old 02-14-2023, 12:42 PM   #25

Bombproof setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Vista View Post
Anyone flat towing using a dual hitch and a bike rack? I'm in the planning stages for full-timing towing a 2-3" lifted Cherokee Trailhawk and I have a Kuat bike rack. I'm interested in 1) how to get the hitch level with the Jeep with the offset and 2) what bike racks seem to work very well. The Kuat is nice but heavy, but it does have integrated locks. We'll be carrying (2) $5000 bikes and any ooops are unacceptable. Thinking a NSA tow bar and brake setup and Blue Ox baseplate. Thanks!
Yakups makes a kayak rack that can be used for bikes, I had them make a 3" to 2" receiver then added a rise for my Canyon that has a 6" lift. The top part of the extention accepts any 2" bike rack. Since i carry surfboards and bikes I had Larry make it all , great guy, knows how to overbuild. I have over 25K on that set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16763960156276333728511007788974.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	283927   Click image for larger version

Name:	16763960821057435804934048071079.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	385.8 KB
ID:	283928   Click image for larger version

Name:	16763961124573037327125733089992.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	281.2 KB
ID:	283929   Click image for larger version

Name:	16763961306546213676557681835460.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	415.3 KB
ID:	283930  
BrianSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 02:19 PM   #26

Send a message via MSN to Denver Dan
I flat tow my Cherokee Trailhawk with a Thule T2 Pro XTR bike rack on the back of the Jeep. I prefer having the bikes on the Jeep as mountain bike trailheads generally aren't convenient to the campgrounds so I need to haul the bikes a ways before I start a ride, and since they're already on the toad I'm set to go as soon as I unhook it from my motorhome.

On the downside the bikes get filthy when you spend a day on wet roads. Mine aren't high-end bikes so I don't baby them but I could understand how that could be a deal breaker for someone with nicer bikes.
Denver Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 09:48 PM   #27
Piloting Millie & Vanilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The OP has a gas van chassis Class C, not a huge and powerful Dynamax.
Not sure if their towing capacity is high enough.

Definitely not! Thanks!
Full-time Day 350, CG#78, 11,600 miles
Homer Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 09:51 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Dan View Post
I flat tow my Cherokee Trailhawk with a Thule T2 Pro XTR bike rack on the back of the Jeep. I prefer having the bikes on the Jeep as mountain bike trailheads generally aren't convenient to the campgrounds so I need to haul the bikes a ways before I start a ride, and since they're already on the toad I'm set to go as soon as I unhook it from my motorhome.

On the downside the bikes get filthy when you spend a day on wet roads. Mine aren't high-end bikes so I don't baby them but I could understand how that could be a deal breaker for someone with nicer bikes.

I thought about that, but since we'll be doing a lot of sightseeing and offroading, having the bikes on the Jeep is not convenient. Mounted on the RV would be out of the way and easy enough to moving the rack to the Jeep when needed. Having the bikes covered securely would keep them cleaner and a bit more secure... hopefully!
Old 02-19-2023, 09:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSB View Post
Yakups makes a kayak rack that can be used for bikes, I had them make a 3" to 2" receiver then added a rise for my Canyon that has a 6" lift. The top part of the extention accepts any 2" bike rack. Since i carry surfboards and bikes I had Larry make it all , great guy, knows how to overbuild. I have over 25K on that set up.

Interesting setup! I'm looking for something simpler that I can easily move between the RV and Jeep... thanks!
Old 02-20-2023, 05:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Are your $5000 bikes mountain Ebikes?

No. 25lb hardtails
Old 02-20-2023, 05:07 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
2 x 70LB ebikes. I have tried both the double hitch behind the MH and behind the toad suv. Preference is behind the toad. Reason being behind the MH may require extending cables, mine were at the limit. There is also the rocking motion of the large bikes on top of the double hitch, hard to get that out. You could also quickly exceed the capacity of the double hitch or your MH hitch, extending reduces the capacity of your MH hitch. Behind the toad, Hollywood racks build an excellent rack with capacity for heavy bikes, its flat towing certified, easy to load bikes and very stable behind the toad. The rack will even lean out by removing a pin to open the tailgate. And when you unhitch the toad, the bikes are with you so if you are planning a day into town and want the bikes along no need to move the hitch and bikes to the toad.

Thanks! My current Kuat hold very tight, has integrated cable locks and tilts back out of the way. It was expensive and I'd prefer to keep that if possible.

Tags
bike, bike rack, hitch, tow, towing