Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2020, 08:05 PM   #1

flat towing, weight and MPG

I currently have a 2006 jeep liberty I used to Toad behind my Truck camper. its 4200 lbs which is the max for my current MH.

I also have a 2011 and 2017 ford escape but you can't tow either one.

I been looking at the Honda Fit manual because I can flat tow it (and it gets 50% more MPH than 2011 and 100% more than 2006).

today we stopped at a ford dealer to see the Festiva (way to small for me) and my wife fell in love with the 2020 escape hybrid, which can be flat towed, and weighs 3500-3700 lbs.

Do you think I will even notice the difference between 2500 lbs (fit)
and 3700 (2020 Escape)
or 4200 lbs (Jeep liberty)?

yes I have brake system for Toad and a nice Blue Ox tow bar system that I have been using on the Jeep.

I would think the jeep has the worse towing resistance because of the larger tires, with the Honda having the least.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:46 PM   #2

Do you mean Ford Fiesta? I haven’t seen a Festiva for a long time.

My past experiece towing things behind a class C motorhome toaught me that it really doesn’t matter what it is when it comes to the motorhome’s fuel economy. Whether towing a rectangular cargo trailer, a little Ford Fiesta, or a 20 foot boat, the more important factor in the motorhome’s efficiency is all the square feet of frontal area on the motorhome itself. In fact, I have suspicions that the motorhome mileage is actually slightly better when something is towed behind it. Maybe it has to do with how the air closes back in behind the whole rig.

To answer your question, I think you should just tow along whatever it is you want, because I don’t think the choice will make much difference to the motorhome, as long as you stay within its weight ratings.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
In fact, I have suspicions that the motorhome mileage is actually slightly better when something is behind it. Maybe it has to do with how the air closes back in behind the whole rig.

Thanks. in fact nothing I tow is bigger than the hole the Motor home already punched through the air as it goes down the road.
Even my 7 x 14 (7K GVWR) dual axle trailer is well inside the slip stream of the profile of the MH.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg, towing, weight