Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
Roy

Flexing, spongy floor

Have a 2004 Georgetown model 342DS. Unit has developed a softness in the floor structure between the tubular steel flooring framing only where the ducted heat is running under the floor decking. This area is in a high traffic area in front of the counter, fridge and bathroom . From the cross-section view of the flooring in the Georgetown brochure it appears that this area doesn't have any of the block foam like the rest of the floor.
Looking for any suggestions how I might firm up this area where the ductwork runs without having to remove the present floor decking.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

On a few models, and not a Gerogetown, I have removed the floor duct, and managed to get a 2x4 up on edge, and screw it to the floor, just under the vinyl. Not sure on your unit, have to look and see. The factory leaves a wide space for the ductwork, and it does/can get soft.

Good luck.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Roy

Thanks for the reply to my problem with the floor. Unfortunately the flexing and sponginess is quite a ways from the floor vents. Maybe I will have to put another piece of wood over the linoleum or try some laminate to firm it up.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #4

Not trying to sound like a complainer,but what is wrong with the factories.Springy floors due to ducts is a problem that has been around for quite a while,and not just with Forest River products.They know it happens yet they still build them the same way,expecting people to put up with it.I build houses and if there is so much as a tiny squeak in the floor the customer would have a fit and rightly so.I just think they could plan their runs a little different so they could avoid this.People spend alot of time in their RV and shouldn't have to walk on a soft spot,which is usually in the busiest spot of the whole floor.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malco View Post
Not trying to sound like a complainer,but what is wrong with the factories.Springy floors due to ducts is a problem that has been around for quite a while,and not just with Forest River products.They know it happens yet they still build them the same way,expecting people to put up with it.I build houses and if there is so much as a tiny squeak in the floor the customer would have a fit and rightly so.I just think they could plan their runs a little different so they could avoid this.People spend alot of time in their RV and shouldn't have to walk on a soft spot,which is usually in the busiest spot of the whole floor.
to answer your question, these units are designed by engineers who have never used an RV, its a lot like Detroit using engineers to design cars that have never driven a car.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote