Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2021, 03:02 PM   #1

FR level of quality

Within the FR family, which are the best quality class C? I'm considering going to a C and would like a 27'+-, slides OK but not full wall type, queen bed(residential queen best), on a E/F450 or equivalent chassis (want to tow over 5K). I like the looks and function of the Trekker cap on the Forester Classic. Prefer things like a double bowl kitchen sink since I cook in and that means dishes. About half the trips will be alone, other half with GF so no critters to need the cab over bunk or any other bunks for that matter. Other desires would be full body paint, dual pane windows, 2 air conditioners if possible to install ( I live in the Deep South), ability to have a decent solar bank and room to install adequate house batteries.

I'll think of other things later but this gets us started.

2012 Prime Time Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 03:27 PM   #2

Best build quality among the FR class Cs? I think they are all about the same. You get to pay more for a Dynamax, but from reading their subforum for 1.5 years, they seem to have lots of problems, more problems than Sunseeker/Forester/Coachmen. Seeing them in person at their factory, the visible quality of the Dynamax paint is nice but no better than a Forester or Sunseeker with full body paint option. Foresters and Sunseekers are painted by a different local paint shop, whereas Dynamax paints theirs in-house.

Forester used to have a few features that were not on Sunseeker, but with the latests models, the two lines are nearly identical. Coachmen has a lot of nice class C models, so check out their brochures. From what I know, there are no Trekker caps on E450 Coachmens.

Trekker style caps seem to be going away, but are still available on about any Forester/Sunseeker Classic Ford E-450. Dynamax seems to put front overhang bunks on everything except optionally on the small MBS model.

I don’t know of any FR class C built on an F450, but there are lots of E450s, most new ones with 7500 pound tow ratings. Dynamax currently does not build any RV on an E450, but they do have a Dodge Ram 5500 ISATA 5, however it comes mandatory with front overhang bunk, and it’s longer than your 27’ guideline.

Two ACs are possible with the available option and with the power management device on some 30 amp class Cs, otherwise you’ll need to modify it to 50 amp or go with a super C Dynamax. Check the Sunseeker and Forester brochures to see which model has optional dual air conditioners. It says dual AC available on “most models” of Classics.

I require a 2 bowl sink, too, and we have that in our 27’ Sunseeker. Check the floor plans as they usually show the sink style.

Good luck!
Old 02-14-2021, 03:56 PM   #3

Thanks I looked at a Forester Classic 3051S but it's too long, 32', and don't like that slide. I didn't get deep into build quality but it seemed relatively solid. Basically typical build quality seen out of Elkhart was my opinion. It didn't have the Trekker front but did have the 2 airs with load shedding feature to the electrical system. Nice thing about it was a "real queen" bed which didn't break in the middle. Also longer wheel base with a 57% length to wheelbase. Forester lists suspension upgrades which includes Firestone air springs but no mention about whether or how they are adjustable. I may have difficulty finding everything I want in a C. Also looking at Winnebago Minnie Winnie but more $$$$ for not sure if that much better. New model 26T with things I want gets pricy.

Old 02-14-2021, 04:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Thanks I looked at a Forester Classic 3051S but it's too long, 32', and don't like that slide. I didn't get deep into build quality but it seemed relatively solid. Basically typical build quality seen out of Elkhart was my opinion. It didn't have the Trekker front but did have the 2 airs with load shedding feature to the electrical system. Nice thing about it was a "real queen" bed which didn't break in the middle. Also longer wheel base with a 57% length to wheelbase. Forester lists suspension upgrades which includes Firestone air springs but no mention about whether or how they are adjustable. I may have difficulty finding everything I want in a C. Also looking at Winnebago Minnie Winnie but more $$$$ for not sure if that much better. New model 26T with things I want gets pricy.
I think since Winnebago did away with their Cambria/Aspect lines, they have cheapened their class Cs and there are no “Trekker” cap offerings. I looked at their Minnie Winnie seriously, but ended up with a Sunseeker.

For Sunseeker/Forester, you need to be 30’9” or more to get a full time walk around queen bed. If you want to go to a shorter coach, you either get a bed that splits and is on a slide, or you go with a rear corner bed.

The Firestone air bags are great for marketing, but I have them and I and find them pretty worthless. You adjust them with air pressure at Schrader valves found in the basement compartments.

A better time to buy a Class C might have been in the middle of the last decade. There is less variety now and features are being dropped, perhaps to cut costs/increase profits.
Old 02-14-2021, 05:33 PM   #5

I am still quite happy with my 2007 2860DS floorplan and if I buy a new or newer coach I'll either buy the same plan again or a Leprechaun with a similar floorplan.

The walk around bed is nice, it is tight on the sides, but, you can get dressed sitting on the end easily reaching your clothing.

The slides are simple and reliable and not weighed down by heavy appliances.

The cab over mattress is very comfortable and its the coolest place to sleep when its hot outside. The rear bedroom can be made cooler with a couple small fans (1 AC only in mine and its not ducted).

With all the mods and upgrades I've made it will be hard to part with what I've got and do them all over again!
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 06:19 PM   #6

You might want to look for a used Winnebago Aspect or Cambria model 27K.

There are also some nice older Coachmen Concord models, as well as maybe used Sunseeker and Forester GTS models.

If money is no issue, look at the well built Phoenix Cruiser B+ models. Another nice, but expensive, option is the Nexus Viper class C.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
You might want to look for a used Winnebago Aspect or Cambria model 27K.

There are also some nice older Coachmen Concord models, as well as maybe used Sunseeker and Forester GTS models.

If money is no issue, look at the well built Phoenix Cruiser B+ models. Another nice, but expensive, option is the Nexus Viper class C.
I have looked at the Phoenix Cruiser online. Might look physically at a Cambria nest week. I'm in no rush fortunately.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:59 PM   #8

We are casually looking at the Forester Classic 3051S with the Trekker cap. We like what it does inside the coach but haven't been able to see if the outside is different. Anyone have a picture of the outside with the Trekker cap?
Old 05-13-2021, 10:37 PM   #9
Ambassador Member

We have the GTS2800QS because it had the floor plan that worked for us, the storage we need and a price within our budget. If we had a bigger budget we would have gone with the Coach House 272XL.
Posting exclusively* in the Forester/Sunseeker section.
The ignore function is the electronic version of a smelly sweat sock in the pie-hole.
Duckogram is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality