Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2014, 09:09 AM   #1

Thumbs up FR3 vs.Ace 30.1

Thanks for this good information! We looked at a FR3 yesterday. Also looked at the ACE 30.1.
Both have things I want that are not on the other coach. Like the ceiling fan in the ACE bathroom and none in the FR3. But the FR3 is better in tool many other ways to count.
Looking for the best price and who will give us a good trade in value.
Jean & Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:46 PM   #2

We also compared the two, and went with FR3 - knowing we could add some of the little things to the FR3, like a bathroom fan! We just purchased ours in August, and already there are a lot of things that are standard that are on our wish "add-on" list.
Pammyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:51 PM   #3

I see that they have already fixed some of the items on the newer FR3 but the prices are higher. So to get a better price you have to get one and do your own add ons. Are there shelves in any of the cabinets? What can you store behind the TV? Does it get hot in that cabinet from using the TV? Still leaning toward the 30 DS!
Old 03-06-2014, 07:52 AM   #4
PDG

Hi,

I just went through the same exercise comparing the ACE 30.1 to the FR3 and chose the FR3. The Ace had lots of conveniences I really liked. The flip out passenger seat dash tray with 12volt and AC outlets in the tray compartment. Really well thought out. I liked the 32" TV adjustable bracket arm to turn the TV toward the front seats so you could easily watch TV while eating or having cocktails on the removable table that is mounted between the front seats. Very nice and well thought out. However, my wife and I thought the dinette and coach seating was cheesy and not comfortable and would not be comfortable sleeping on either. The ACE drove very nice but had very limited external storage capacity.

We both thought the FR3 was better quality and loved the sofa hide a bed with built in foot rests. The hide a bed was a full queen just like in the bedroom. I found in most coaches the queen bedroom mattress was the shorter 60" X 75" mattress. I am not that tall at 6"1" but would hate my feet hanging over the end of the bed. I also liked the leather seating and the driver and passenger seats were very comfortable. The external storage capacity was almost double that of the ACE. The ACE had only 68 cu ft verses FR3 112 cu ft a big difference especially for extended trips for a month or more. Even 112 cu ft may be challenging for long extended trips. The storage is an issue to really think about.

Hope this helps,

PDG
PDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #5

We decided on an FR3 also. Love the couch with the foot rests. Now to fill it with everything from the sunseeker. There were a few ACE being picked up when we picked up our FR3 but I am glad we made the decision to stay with Forest River. Happy camping all!
Old 04-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #6

We looked at both the Ace and FR3 and went with the FR3. One of the big things for me was the couch with foot rests and the overall comfort of the coach. I have found that in previous coaches, I was always uncomfortable with the standard furniture and needed to change out equipment to be comfortable. So far, I have not had to do that with the FR3. It is a very comfortable coach throughout. All that I have added is a memory foam topper to the bed.
wolfgang22 is offline   Reply With Quote