Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2019, 06:57 AM   #1

Frozen Pipes

Well, I believe my pipes froze. It's still below freezing and will be for a couple days. Any suggestions where to start?

One of you kindly suggested yesterday that I put a light near any outside fixtures. I forgot about the shower head down in the tank drain compartment. I put an incandescent light down there this morning.

The symptom, of course, is that I have no running water this morning.

Help me, Obi-wan-ki-forum, you are my only hope!
Parkfreeon6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:23 AM   #2

Are you connected to a water spicket outside or just pumping off your on-board water tank?

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:56 AM   #3

Pumping on-board
Parkfreeon6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:48 AM   #4

The first thing I'd do would be to open up all the faucets to relieve the air pressure in the pipes. Water expands as it freezes and it's possible that some of the water is still freezing.

You could try to unthaw some of those pipes with a hair dryer, but since many of them are hidden, that might be an impossibility.

Other than driving to somewhere warm, I think you're going to be without water til it gets above freezing. Then I'd check for leaks before you hook up to city water.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:19 AM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
The first thing I'd do would be to open up all the faucets to relieve the air pressure in the pipes. Water expands as it freezes and it's possible that some of the water is still freezing.

You could try to unthaw some of those pipes with a hair dryer, but since many of them are hidden, that might be an impossibility.

Other than driving to somewhere warm, I think you're going to be without water til it gets above freezing. Then I'd check for leaks before you hook up to city water.
It’s going to take some time for things to unfreeze. I suspect winter is only starting where you live. I’m guessing you did not winterize?
There’s more hidden plumbing than areas where you can see it.
Have you investigated anywhere nearby to get heated indoor storage to work this problem?
Not to alarm you, but frozen water lines is a serious problem that can cause grief for quite some time to come.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:01 AM   #6
2012 Solera

Some thoughts-
You indicated setting the furnace to 60 degrees. Assuming you can refill your propane easily, try cranking it up to maybe 75 degrees for most of the day and tonight.
Park in the sun.
Weather channel shows Kennewick WA going to 59 degrees tomorrow. Hopefully that plus the above will thaw your pipes. If it does, check for leaks - the freeze may have broken something (more likely a fitting or device than the pex pipes).
Good luck!
Jim
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
. I’m guessing you did not winterize?
I am gathering the OP is a full-timer/winter camper.
Which begs the question how do you winterize when you live in the RV?
Could you run an antifreeze mixture in the fresh water tank? This means washing and bathing in pink water.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:00 AM   #8

I'm assuming you are using the propane onboard heater and not an electric space heater? The onboard will keep the spaces the pex runs through warmer. Also, open up any cabinets and access panels to spaces that have pipes/water equipment in to let the warmer air in.
Perhaps you can find the section of frozen pipe when things start thawing out and further protect it.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:09 AM   #9

Have to ask the obvious question, "is the pump running"?

If so perhaps the only frozen line is the one from the tank. Depending on the RV design that line often runs in the least heated area(s).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:12 AM   #10
Site Team

I agree with cranking the furnace up to 75º and opening every interior cabinet/compartment and let things warm up.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:28 PM   #11

The pipes in our 5th wheel have frozen several times and the only issue we have had is the toilet valve broke last year causing a small drip. If temps get above freezing I just set the thermostat as high as it will go and open all of the faucets. Make sure you don't leave the camper though, almost had an overflow on my kitchen gray tank this past fall because I left the pump on and the kitchen faucet open.

If I keep my thermostat set at 68 and I don't run out of propane or the generator doesn't run out of gas I haven't had them freeze down to zero degrees at night.

When it is really cold I will place a space heater in the basement pointed at the water pump. We also keep all of our doors open at night in areas where water lines go through.

Good luck.
corocky1998 is offline   Reply With Quote