Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2024, 10:33 AM   #1

Fully EV Motorhome?

A few of my friends are EV fanatics, and I have read a good deal about EVs. One friend had to rent an EV while on a business trip. But I'm more into a Hybrid thinking 70/30 might work. I've read in the future many parking garages will have to be designed or built to support weight issues with EVs. The weight of EVs is about three times the weight of a normal Gas of comparable size. Think about Solar Parking Pads for vehicles to drive onto and recharge. Then say an EV express lane while driving you pay a fee and drive on while charging.(Paid EV LANE). Interesting ideas, for the future sure. But I think a lot of hurdles must be crossed first.

I was a bit shocked to learn that not all charging stations fit or work the same for all EVs currently in service. Which is a turn-off for me. Think of a fuel service station with different fuel handles to fill up with. This is an EV charging station today. "Crazy engineering, in my opinion, I don't understand"

Florida has a new Bill in the works S28 for EVs to pay $200. dollar fee and then jumps to $250. Which we normally pay at the pump. when buying fuel. Click HERE

Hard, for me to think of stopping for longer than 20 minutes. Fuel, Restroom, snack. Then back on the roadway for another 450 miles approximately without stopping. Not so with an EV as some stops for a full charge as long as eight hours. WOW, Naver had to wait that long to fill up my Class As.

All of these issues have me wondering about a "FULLY" operational motorhome A, B, or C. We currently own and drive a Coachmen Galleria with Li3 and genuinely enjoy camping. I don't have a noisy Generator running anymore during the night. We now have many quiet nights while Boondocking. We closed down about 9 PM and our Li3 rated for 10 hours (not sure what all they had running to make the test. We do get more standby time as we only have our 12V A/C running, C-PAP, TV, and a light or two. As for the VAN/vehicle, diesel fuel and I'm not running the vehicle engine while parked overnight. Both of us are up before 8 AM.

I have not read or found anything in print on a fully operational EV Motorhomes. Anyone?

H.L. & Jan,
DogMan635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 11:37 AM   #2
D W

Probably because it's a pipe dream. Can you imagine what size battery would have to be installed to run a motor home? The weight of the battery alone would make it impractical. Elon Musk was asked about an electric powered jet airliner a year ago. He stated that "in order to generate enough thrust to get the plane off the ground, the battery would have to be the size of the airliner itself. It's just not practical. The EV has its place, but it's not a solution for everyone."
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 11:38 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Iím in my 70ís and will never buy an all electric vehicle for a lot of the reasons you mentioned. The governments may mandate that no new internal combustion engine vehicles be built after 2035 or whatever, but thereíll be fossil fuelled vehicles around for a long time including for my remaining time on the planet. Iíve bought used vehicles often in my life, and been quite satisfied.

You mention the weight of EV vehicles. Can you imagine the total weight of an EV motorhome? Youíre travelling in your motorhome and need a recharge. Might as well put out the camping furniture waiting for a full recharge.

On top of it allÖÖ.is the infrastructure ready for that many people plugging in at the same time every early evening?

Just a few thoughts as I get my coffee, from my coffee maker thatís plugged in.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 11:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMan635 View Post
I've read in the future many parking garages will have to be designed or built to support weight issues with EVs. The weight of EVs is about three times the weight of a normal Gas of comparable size. [/B]

This statement is way off from what I just looked up...

The weight of an EV is about 1/3 more than a comparable internal combustion vehicle.
Old 04-14-2024, 12:27 PM   #5

All electric?

Not in my life. Likely not my grandkids either.

There are many engineering hurdles before that happens. Energy transmission and batteries have been an issue since the early 1900ís. Energy production is another.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 02:32 PM   #6
Site Team

EV Motorhomes already exist in Beta mode. Winnebago is the biggest name doing EV. See Here.
Old 04-14-2024, 02:38 PM   #7
Site Team

Moved thread from the Off Topic section to the General Motorhome Discussion section since the OP's topic is about motorhomes.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 05:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
EV Motorhomes already exist in Beta mode. Winnebago is the biggest name doing EV. See Here.
WOW, I'm impressed and had not seen anything about this or any other RV's. Thanks for sharing the link.
H.L. & Jan,
DogMan635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 07:17 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
It is unfortunate that most EV discissions degrade into misinformation and name calling.

This is a reasonable start, but doesn't meet my current needs, in 5 years who knows.
https://www.theverge.com/2023/10/18/...rv-price-specs

I want a small C or large B with 400 mile range. Current tech allows fast charging to about 50% so 400 miles gives you 600 with a 1 hour lunch stop. $200k seems high, but most Class B campers are in the $150k+

Charges are becoming universal - Tesla has won and is allows others to use their plug.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/t...h-will-happen/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 08:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Probably because it's a pipe dream. Can you imagine what size battery would have to be installed to run a motor home? The weight of the battery alone would make it impractical. Elon Musk was asked about an electric powered jet airliner a year ago. He stated that "in order to generate enough thrust to get the plane off the ground, the battery would have to be the size of the airliner itself. It's just not practical. The EV has its place, but it's not a solution for everyone."
I think that the problem here that will need to be solved is related to the "rocket fuel dilemma".

Simplified, it says that "Each unit of fuel has to accelerate not only the mass of the rocket, but also the mass of the remaining fuel! This means that the more fuel one carries, the less effective each unit is at providing the rocket with momentum Ė it's a problem of diminishing returns."

The same can be said of existing battery technology - in order to increase range (or increase the mass of the electric vehicle), you have to install more battery capacity. But the increased battery capacity increases mass as well, which means that the new battery has to haul around more weight than the old battery did.

I am sure that there will be some early attempts that will have mixed success (especially depending on who gets to define "success"), but I feel like what we will really need is a breakthrough in battery technology. And the challenge with THAT is that we haven't had any real breakthrough in consumer-level battery technology in about 40 years.

With today's technology, if you have a battery of "x" capacity, and you get "y" range from it, then installing a battery of "x * 2" capacity will not get you "y * 2" range.

If you are trying to push something like a class A through the wall of wind at freeway speeds, the weight and wind resistance will require much more battery capacity than simply "well, the motorhome weighs 3 times as much as a Tesla, so we can power it with 3 Tesla batteries and get the same range"

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 09:00 PM   #11

https://www.energy.gov/eere/vehicles...-ion-batteries

Batteries have improved 8x between 2008 and 2020 (best data I could find)
Old 04-18-2024, 10:53 AM   #12
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviBill View Post
https://www.energy.gov/eere/vehicles...-ion-batteries

Batteries have improved 8x between 2008 and 2020 (best data I could find)
At what cost?
Old 04-18-2024, 11:51 AM   #13

Quote:
At what cost?

Initially the costs for improvement are high but like history has proven, as production scale increases, as well as competition, costs decrease greatly.

Remember the cost of an original PC with far less computing power and memory/storage than the PC's of today? Even a cheap smartphone today costs a fraction of the early comptuers and outperforms them by many orders of magnitude.

Same has happened with EV batteries and the LiFePo4 batteries used by the RV industry.

Personally I believe that RV's would be more practical with a Range Extender design similar to the one used in the Chevy Volt. Big battery along with small motot/generator. Battery power to it's max range then switch to engine power if needed between recharges. Also would provide hybrid operation for mountains with both battery and engine power as needed.

Worked great in my Volt with user selectable modes for both battery management as well as max mileage on fuel.
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 12:44 PM   #14

At dramatically less cost
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ry-pack-costs/
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
Old 04-19-2024, 12:06 PM   #15
D W

Right now there's nothing going down in price. Just got notice that our electric rates are about to increase by 7.2%. You can have all the batteries in the world, but you're going to need to recharge them, and solar is just another half hearted solution with more costs. In my neck of the woods, we've seen EV's fail miserably this past winter. So much for technology improving.
Old 04-19-2024, 03:27 PM   #16

More broadly, if generation and transmission capabilities do not keep up with EV adoption rates, the law of supply and demand will begin to pinch every consumer of electricity in some way -- not just EV owners.
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 04:43 PM   #17

I am still a believer in American Ingenuity! I am always disappointed when I read so many people posting negative comments without any backing. Maybe that is the new normal “can’t do” …
Old 04-19-2024, 05:44 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviBill View Post
I am still a believer in American Ingenuity! I am always disappointed when I read so many people posting negative comments without any backing. Maybe that is the new normal ďcanít doĒ Ö
Not all positive comments have credible backing, either.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78/'24 = 41; Booked for 2024 = 55
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 06:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Right now there's nothing going down in price. Just got notice that our electric rates are about to increase by 7.2%. You can have all the batteries in the world, but you're going to need to recharge them, and solar is just another half hearted solution with more costs. In my neck of the woods, we've seen EV's fail miserably this past winter. So much for technology improving.
EV batteries are just like RV lifepo4 batteries and need heating before charging at freezing temps.

Some manufacturers do better than other's in this department. Chevrolet uses water cooled batteries and when temps dropp below ~35F the engine kicks on and heats the coolant. If parked and plugged in the coolant is heated and circulated to keep battery at charging temp.

Other manufacturers use air cooled batteries so heating beforevcharging may noy be as easy.

Regardless, owners of EV's are going to have to learn not to run batteries dead in cold weather.

Perhaps Alaska isn't suitable for EV's as well as other cold climes but for the rest of the country----well, I found my 2017 Volt to do quite well even in single digit weather. Never left home without a fully charged battery.
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 06:59 PM   #20

Quote:

Batteries have fallen in price over the last 10 years. $139/kwh today vs $780.

https://about.bnef.com/blog/lithium-...ow-of-139-kwh/

Solar power may not make sense in Alaska, in Michigan it has a 7-10 year payback.

Tags
electrical vehicles, motor, motorhome, motorhome ev, s28