Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2020, 11:35 AM   #1

Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

Hi guys,

I have a 6.7L Cumins Diesel. Soon, as soon as Mr. Amazon delivers my Fleetguard Filters, I'll be doing my first ever diesel oil change on my Sports Coach. I had ordered also from Mr. A the Fumoto 104N valve that has the short nipple figuring that I would attach a hose to it and drain the oil directly into empty containers to save a step.

However, since I ordered the valve I have moved my rig out of its storage position which gave me the opportunity to crawl under it. I see my oil pan is more flat bottomed and the drain plug is the inset type vs. typical at the rear of the angled pan with a nut head plug. I also noticed there is a side inset plug too. For those that have Fumoto or other brands easy drain valve with a similar setup, have you used the flat bottom plug which I don't think the nipple valve would work too well because of clearance, or using the side plug which would allow for a plug with a 45-degree angle nipple.

Since I already sent back the 104N valve, my thought is re-order one without the nipple but still use the bottom plug hole. Yes/No? Thanks!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:12 PM   #2

I considered one of those.....

The more I thought about it the more concerned I became about accidentally knocking it off and not realizing it until major problems arose.....

I figured the old way wasn’t really that difficult or too messy so I talked myself out of ordering......
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:39 PM   #3

You're better off without the Fumoto, the orifice is so small that it takes seemingly forever to drain the oil. I pitched the Fumoto after the second oil change and went back to stock.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:44 PM   #4

I have the Fumoto on a ford 6.7L diesel. It does take longer to drain, but the convenience of draining right into the container is worth my wait. I don't have the same concerns as you do as the drain plug is on the back side of the pan on my engine so it would be almost impassible to get knocked off.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:27 PM   #5
Lets go camping!

i have the fumoto on my ram and its great!

you can open up the oil drain and start changing the filter. by the time you have put on the new oil filter, the engine has stopped draining.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:42 PM   #6

I have a Fumoto on my 6.7 Ram, I think for about 4 years now. Handy little unit.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:17 PM   #7

I installed a Fumoto on a previous Class A. It was ok if you have enough clearance to get a gallon oil jug under it, but to drain 4-5 gallons it was a lot of trouble starting and stopping to change containers. I just did my first oil change today using a 6 gallon oil drain pan from NAPA and found it to be much easier. It's only about 6" high and is wide and long enough that spillage was eliminated. It drained much quicker than with the Fumoto. It has molded in handles and a pour spout to pour the old oil into the new oil jugs.

[IMG][/IMG]
RichNewcome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:36 AM   #8

Thanks for the replies guys. For those with the 6.7 in their Dodge did you use the bottom opening or the one on the side of the pan, if you even have one there?
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:35 AM   #9

I ran one on one or more of my Cummins trucks through the years. Some will say that the valve does not allow the engine to drain all the oil out but it is so little I do not care.

I had the short one that the plastic hose snapped on to, used it once and threw the hose away. in the Ram you don't need the hose. the best advantage of this is is slows down the speed of which the oil drains. using just the factory drain plug it comes out so fast it fills the drain pan faster than it can drain into its containment jug.

I guess if you hit something on the street you could knock this out, but what ever you hit might also take out the oil pan. Not sure I would run one off road.

I bought one for my benz chassis. The pictures Mr A shows has it with an extended space between valve and pan threads, but the one Mr A ships does not have this extended space and the drain valve hits on the oil pan and will not open. I received 2 wrong ones before I gave up
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichNewcome View Post
I I just did my first oil change today using a 6 gallon oil drain pan from NAPA and found it to be much easier.

I have this same pan. Becarefull with the drain cap, if you tighten it too much the cap will crack. mine came new with cracked cap. I will be looking for a spare. some places sell this valve that fits on oil bottles that might fit onto this drain opening.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:40 AM   #11

After my friends one got knocked off by a piece of tire tread, I stopped any thoughts of getting one.

In the scheme of things, not that big of a deal removing a drain plug a couple times a year
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
After my friends one got knocked off by a piece of tire tread, I stopped any thoughts of getting one.

In the scheme of things, not that big of a deal removing a drain plug a couple times a year

Sometimes people get hit by lightning, but I still go outside.

I get what you are saying though. It takes your drain from being near flush with the pan, to sticking out about 1/2” or so? I don’t know, never measured. Still nowhere near the low point of the truck.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by -lenny- View Post
Sometimes people get hit by lightning, but I still go outside.

I get what you are saying though. It takes your drain from being near flush with the pan, to sticking out about 1/2” or so? I don’t know, never measured. Still nowhere near the low point of the truck.
LOL...why put something on where there is little to no benefit? ON a few of my vehicles, it would hang down where it could get hit so why take the chance?

BTW, the lightning analogy is old and overused.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, valve