RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-25-2018, 12:19 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoore0852 View Post
I chased what I thought was a priming issue forever on my 4000. It ended up being the control rod for the choke. This is the rod that runs from the carburetor to the little silver box on the exhaust (top right of the generator). I have found that the heat mechanism inside the box sticks with the rod all the way to the right. If I pull the rod to the left, it unsticks it and the generator starts right up. I only have to do this on the first start of a camping trip. We can stay out for a week and it will start fine every time. I'm thinking its road vibration "sticking" the control rod, but I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet or even opening up the control box.

When priming, if everything else is quiet you can hear the fuel pump clicking. The sound changes when it gets all primed up.
Rmoore0852. I found the same on my Onan 4000. To get the link to stay "unstuck" I adjusted the heat mechanism toward the less choke end. Doesn't stick anymore. Still usually requires repeated priming though.

2017 Coachmen Micro 20CB (Livy)
2015 Smart Fortwo (Huck)
New Hampshire
Wood2Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:56 PM   #22

Gasoline Generator Prime switch

Thanks everyone for the great info in this post.

My Sunseeker was used when I got got it and the generator was hard to start and ran poorly.

I tried the seafoam cleanse using a mixture of gas and seafoam and it got rid of the poor engine performance.

It is still hard to start. This time I tried wiggling the rod to ensure that it moved freely. I then tried 3 short primes in a row (with 10 second pause between primes) before attempting to start it and it started right away! Wow, I hope that is the magic sequence to start it every time.

Forgive my lack of imagination but what do you use as a load? A fan seems pretty low load. I suppose that A/C would do the trick but it is already pretty cool here today.
sask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:52 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask View Post
Thanks everyone for the great info in this post.

My Sunseeker was used when I got got it and the generator was hard to start and ran poorly.

I tried the seafoam cleanse using a mixture of gas and seafoam and it got rid of the poor engine performance.

It is still hard to start. This time I tried wiggling the rod to ensure that it moved freely. I then tried 3 short primes in a row (with 10 second pause between primes) before attempting to start it and it started right away! Wow, I hope that is the magic sequence to start it every time.

Forgive my lack of imagination but what do you use as a load? A fan seems pretty low load. I suppose that A/C would do the trick but it is already pretty cool here today.
In the winter I use an old ele heater when exercising !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:42 PM   #24

My understanding and what seems to work for me with this generator is a 30 sec. prime, especially if it has not run in a month.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:41 PM   #25
Chief tinkerer

Prime until light goes out...... crank for about 5 seconds....... prime a again until light goes out ........ crank and it starts.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoore0852 View Post
I chased what I thought was a priming issue forever on my 4000. It ended up being the control rod for the choke. This is the rod that runs from the carburetor to the little silver box on the exhaust (top right of the generator). I have found that the heat mechanism inside the box sticks with the rod all the way to the right. If I pull the rod to the left, it unsticks it and the generator starts right up. I only have to do this on the first start of a camping trip. We can stay out for a week and it will start fine every time. I'm thinking its road vibration "sticking" the control rod, but I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet or even opening up the control box.

When priming, if everything else is quiet you can hear the fuel pump clicking. The sound changes when it gets all primed up.
Had similar problem Moore. I solved the sticking problem by adjusting the choke in the negative direction (less choke). Starts easily now on one or two tries. Also hold the prime button until the pulsing sound changes, then 5 more seconds.

2017 Coachmen Micro 20CB (Livy)
2015 Smart Fortwo (Huck)
New Hampshire
Wood2Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, generator, switch