Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2017, 06:35 PM   #1

Generator while running and Fridge Question

Is it ok to use my generator to run the ac while driving down the road in hot conditions to keep the Motorhome cool? Also....If that is ok, will the generator run my fridge at the same time so that I am not using LP while going down the road, or does the alternator in the coach drive electricity to the fridge while rolling down the road?
sgarrett415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:36 PM   #2

So would it be ok to run the generator while going down the road to save LP?
Old 07-11-2017, 06:43 PM   #3

Is your generator gas or lp? If you are running the generator just to not use lp for the fridge then are you really saving lp since the generator is running. The fridge will use way less than a generator.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #4

Generator is gas....wondering if it is ok to run it while going down the road..... then I could save LP for boondocking
Old 07-11-2017, 06:46 PM   #5

My generator is gas also

Sent from my XT1254 using Forest River Forums mobile app
raulrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:47 PM   #6

Sure you can but just to save the 2oz of lp a day that the fridge will use real does not make sense but it's yours and you can do what you want to do. Happy camping.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:01 PM   #7
Site Team

Yes, it is okay to run your generator while driving to provide AC power for the A/C and fridge. We do it... If you have a gasoline generator just keep in mind it will not run when you get below a 1/4 tank of gas...
Old 07-11-2017, 07:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Yes, it is okay to run your generator while driving to provide AC power for the A/C and fridge. We do it... If you have a gasoline generator just keep in mind it will not run when you get below a 1/4 tank of gas...

Thank! Yep...found that out a couple of weeks ago! Haha
Old 07-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #9

I don't use LP for anything when I'm underway. If some idiot hits me and damages an LP supply we're in big trouble. That gas will continue to flow until someone cuts the tank off.
twiggw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:00 PM   #10

I have run my genny while under way when I had the class A, the only problem was that the cooing air intake was on the bottom and would suck in hot air and overheat and shut down. Now as to the comment about shutting off the propane while driving. While this is the safest way it is not absolutely necessary as most new rigs have excessive flow cutoff valves at the tank.
K4DCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:08 PM   #11
Sunstar35F

Fine to run generator while underway

We reside in Northeast Florida and usually run the generator and our 2 AC units & fridge while driving as the dash AC can't cool the whole coach down enough to keep our 2 greyhounds comfortable. Also good to run your generator at least every couple of weeks and since we use the generator when driving, we never have to worry about that.
mjpallone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:14 PM   #12

My last motorhome I had a generator installed exactly for the purpose of running the ac back there while going down the road.
I honestly never even thought about the little bit of propane the fridge uses or not while the genny was running I just wanted it cool back there for the kids.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:04 PM   #13

We run the generator (diesel) while on the road for the same reason listed above. Our power management system also charges the house batteries as well (8 AGM batteries) while running. Couple of things to keep in mind - always check oil and cooling fluid prior to every time you are going to run your generator while on the road. Also, make sure windows are vents etc. are closed to avoid fumes and carbon monoxide from blowing up into the coach. And shut down the generator prior to fueling your coach. I always make it a part of my walk around when fueling to check underneath the coach to check for dripping fluids (other than the AC condensation runoff). From a maintenance standpoint, I do fuel filter changes more frequently to ensure trouble free running in addition to the normal oil filter and air cleaner changes.
Ricki.Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:13 PM   #14

Thank you! Those are good points and recommendations!
raulrio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, generator