Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2015, 05:21 AM   #1

Getting The Bugs Off

Just got back from a 2 week trip into Ga and Fla Panhandle. As usual, front of the Lexi was covered with gug butts.
Saw this tip posted on another RV forum and decided to give it a try, and IT WORKS !!!
Get a can of Dow Bathroom Scrubbing Bubbles, and out of direct sunlight, spray the front cap with the Bubbles. Let sit for 15 to 30 minutes. Than take your brush and auto soapy water and brush/clean as you normally would. The gug butts come off much, much easier. Normally I'd have to go over the cap 2-3 times, but had to do it only once this time.
Bubbles break the gug butts down and comes clean alot easier.
For around $3.50 a can, give it a try.
Haven't seen this on the forum here, but if it's a repost, sorry.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:35 AM   #2

Thanks for the Tip! Never heard of (Gug) bugs! I have heard of (Love/Luv) bugs though. I know they are Nasty! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:41 AM   #3

Gug Butts === Bug Guts.
Grumpy
Old 05-12-2015, 06:12 AM   #4
Site Team

Used this many times on Motorcycle after riding thru bugs. wet a microfiber cloth with peroxide and wipe on the effected area. let sit for a few minutes, then wipe off. Has not damaged paint or lexan windshield.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:27 AM   #5

Something else that works very well is Bounce dryer sheets. Just wet a couple & wipe painted surface or glass & the bugs come of much easier. The unscented ones seem to work bast.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:33 AM   #6

I am aware of all the ways to get the bugs off using small dryer sheets and stuff on small towels. But I don't feel like spending a lot of time standing on a ladder leaning over to get to the center of the cap.
Using the Scrubbing Bubbles you can spray the entire front cap, let it sit for 15 minutes or so, and than using a brush on an extention type pole, clean the front cap at one time. Not saying it's a magic do all, it just starts to desolve and break down the bugs so they come off alot easier. Also alot easier than standing on a ladder with an 8" x 8" dryer sheet trying to get to the center of your front cap.
Grumpy
Old 05-12-2015, 07:47 AM   #7

For those of us that wax our front caps ... Scrubbing Bubbles will take wax and all off. As for the center of the cap ... I just move the ladder closer to the pin box. For the non waxers ... you do have a good solution.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:41 AM   #8

And you don't think that all the other homemade remedy's like peroxide, dryer sheets, dawn, ect don't take wax off? Only thing that won't take wax off is auto wash solution.
Anyway, I don't want to get into a pissing match as to what works and what dosen't. I tried the Bubbles, and it works for me. Just passing along another tip. Try it or don't, your choice.
Grumpy
Old 05-12-2015, 08:49 AM   #9

Drier sheets work great on Love Bugs
2015 Keystone Bullet Travel Trailer
2016 F-150 Lariat with Auto Trailer Backup
Dog = Morki (Yorkie-Maltese) - Zoe
Malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:00 AM   #10

Chill man ... Chill ... I said you had a good solution ... just not good on wax. Dryer sheets haven't removed Meguires wax on my fiver's cap ... it's basically just fabric softner.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:08 AM   #11

I use the dryer sheets as well, but learned a little trick. If you fill a standard spray bottle 1/2 way then stuff a couple of dryer sheets in there and shake it around to get whatever it is they put in dryer sheets dissolved into the water it makes an excellent pretreatment before going at it with the sheets themselves. Just spray on and let it sit a bit.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:05 PM   #12

watch how long you leave it on. it can discolor a white or light tan front if left to long.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:26 PM   #13

dryer sheet question

If the dryer sheets work and you say it is only fabric softener, has anyone tried using fabric softener on their brush (not the sheets)? Seems it might do the trick as well. Any thoughts on this?
andreatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:26 PM   #14

'Rejex' wax helps solve some of the 'gug butt', or, the last thing that goes thru a bug's mind as he hits the 'wind screen', problem.
EdnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:39 PM   #15

I always use Awesome 1 part to 4 parts water, let it sit a few minutes and clean off with soft bristled brush. Then wash entire front with Blue Coral car wash. Living in Coastal Ga and traveling to SC and Fl frequently, we collect a LOT of lovebugs.m This has always worked well for me. I'm sure it deteriorates the wax slightly, but I wax the motorhome every 3 or 4 months anyway, so no damage.
Clark Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:01 PM   #16

Kinda wish I would have kept my suggestion to my self. Didn't mean to cause anyone any undue comfort. Sorry
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa GLS View Post
Kinda wish I would have kept my suggestion to my self. Didn't mean to cause anyone any undue comfort. Sorry
Hey I know how you feal,they ask a ? then in no time they are Experts and Chewing our legs Off! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:19 PM   #18

Bugs

It sounds like most of us have found some solution to the problem. Being from florida where we are cursed with "Love Bugs" twice a year you will use anything that will work. Love Bugs have a acid in them that left on your surface for more than 24 hrs will pit the surface and when they are swarming its usually on country roads and they will pepper your camper like shaking pepper on mashed potato. I am a firm believer in the dryer sheets but there is a preventative measure its called Collonite's No. 845 its a Insulator wax clear coat safe used for marine, RV and aeronautical use. Bug problems will be a thing of the past.
Attached Images

siskom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:07 PM   #19

We use hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. Spray on and the protein be be broken down by the peroxide making it foam up. If fresh bugs it will wipe off with little effort with the hose if dried on will take a few sprays more. I live in the love bug country works on my motorcycle and gear too. Will not harm plexiglass of paint
Wolfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:08 PM   #20

I was told to use Pam....and the bugs would slide right off.....NOT TRUE....they cooked on with the dust and bugs...it took us 6 hrs to clean...what a mess....do not try this...lol...now it us funny...not then

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
johnpisue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bugs