Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2021, 03:41 PM   #1

Going from a C to an A...good thought or not?

So we've been happy in our 30' Forester Class C MH but are considering a long-term play in purchasing a small Class A DP of about 35 or 36' in length. My biggest concern (besides my budget) is getting into our national and state parks across the country...even "older" private parks.

We've met folks with 40'+ rigs saying they wished they'd bought smaller (like our Forester) but curious of the thoughts/opinions of those that are in these size MH's 35 - 36') in today's RV camping world.

Thanks!

Days Camped 2021 - 49/2020 - 29
2019 - 71/2018 - 49
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:22 PM   #2

We just did almost exactly that. We had a Holiday Rambler Vesta 30U (31'8") & traded it in on a Forest River Georgetown 5 Series 31L (34'11"). We pull a 14' Freedom Trailer with my wife's Indian & my Road Glide. So far no issues, but then again we're only 11 days into it. We are about 5' longer than we were. With both, our preferences are pull-thru sites, so we can get the bikes out & so far we've been accommodated nicely. We will see at our next location if we can get one, or if we can drop the trailer in another lot. We're likin "A" livin!
BABBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:52 AM   #3

I have a 36' DP A and we pull my wife's Kia on a dolly (as in my signature) and speaking East Coast only we have not had any length issues finding places to stay. This would include Ormand Beach State Park in Florida where the online reservation system said 30' maximum length. I found online pics that showed large 5th wheels stuffed in the sites and a couple of class A's. I took a chance, and though snug (told my DW one of my better parking jobs) our rig, car, and dolly fit nicely.

State Parks aren't going to be an issue for the most part because as you probably already know besides being cheaper, most SP campsites are huge compared to privately owned parks. I have yet to stay at National Parks, only their sister parks Army Corp of Engineers and again their sites are also large.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote