Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2018, 06:52 AM   #1

Good drinking water

You wouldn’t think it would be so hard to find a good solution for decent drinking water, but I’ve been trying different things for awhile and still not satisfied. We do have a distiller, which makes probably one of the best tasting, but in myrtle Beach heat we try not to do anything that takes away from the air conditioning and the distiller makes a lot of heat! I put a filter on the faucet and that is good for some places, but down at the shore it seems to really not help too much. I’ve considered a reverse osmosis like we have at our house, but with using a lot of water and all the hook ups I don’t think I want to do that either. I just looked at the zero water filter system, which sounds really good and gets some great reviews, then I start reading all the bad ones and then keep looking.
If we were full timers I’d go the RO route, but most trips are long weekends with our biggest trip to Myrtle Beach coming up, which will be 10 days and that’s where the water is the biggest problem for us. My wife is definitely pickier about the water taste than I am, but I do want to find something that she’s happy with. Any suggestions appreciated if you’ve found something you’ve been happy with. We do have the house filter for our 3010, but that’s not really good enough for drinking water to us. We drink a lot of water and do get individual bottles for the beach, but I’m talking for coffee and drinking around the camper. We probably use close to 5 gallons a day.Thanks in advance!
carol108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:00 AM   #2

You can get distilled water just about anywhere for about $1 a gallon or less. I use it servicing batteries just remember any minerals needed by your body have been removed from distilled water.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd50i View Post
You can get distilled water just about anywhere for about $1 a gallon or less. I use it servicing batteries just remember any minerals needed by your body have been removed from distilled water.

Thanks for the reply. We usually only do the distilled when we’re camping so the mineral thing isn’t a concern for us there. We really didn’t want to do the gallon jug thing since we use so much, but that’s always a possibility.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:23 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Some people will pick up a 2 or 3 stage 'whole house' filter like this:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.w...001103077.html

and then adapt it to hose fittings so they can use it outside the rig on the incoming city water connection.

I never needed to before, because our water has generally been clean enough for the onboard filter in our Flagstaff to handle. But the new Surveyor doesn't have an onboard, and the little blue Camco ones don't seem to do as good a job so I've been considering going this way.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:27 AM   #5

I have been pretty diligent with sanitizing and flushing the tank and lines a couple time a season. Every drop that goes through the TT whether from the city connection, potable tank or jerry cans goes through the whole house filter with the taste, odor sediment charcoal 10 micron filter. We carry a case of bottled water for a few in the fridge. I dump everything on the way out of the CGs if it's going to be more than two weeks sitting. Any more thought into this would drive me nuts. I ain't dead yet!
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:28 AM   #6

I have a Brita pitcher and the water is good enough for us. Some places are definitely worse than others. Zero water supposedly a good choice also. Not sure if they have a carbon filter in there also.
Goodyear Endurance Tires
Dr-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:30 AM   #7
Always Learning

Get a Berkey Water Filter. We enjoy clean water no matter where we are. We prefer it to bottled water.

It just takes up a little bit of counter or floor space (if you get the stand). No heat as it’s a gravity filter.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:34 AM   #8
Site Team

Reverse Osmosis will work, but there are a few downsides.

1. How do you plan to handle the waste water. Usually a good RO system will product 2-3gals of waste water for each gallon of good water.
2. Using it on a water system that has chlorine in the water can damage many of them.
3. Will take up space as you need space for system and a storage tank.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post

1. How do you plan to handle the waste water. Usually a good RO system will product 2-3gals of waste water for each gallon of good water.
2. Using it on a water system that has chlorine in the water can damage many of them.

That’s exactly why I was looking for something other than RO.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post

That’s exactly why I was looking for something other than RO.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:56 PM   #11
Just as confused as you

The best water I ever tasted came straight out of the ground from an artisan well out in the middle of a field. There was a cup hanging on a fence post for anyone who wanted a drink. Was so cold you would get brain freeze if you drank it too fast. My parents also had an artisan well in their back yard which the pump drew from.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:20 PM   #12

We buy gallon bottles of water... mineral or distilled. Not an ideal solution, but at least we like the taste.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #13

Walmart has great water for 37 cents per gallon. I've had two 3 gallon bottles for drinking and cooking for 9 years. Walmart has 5 gallon bottles, they'll last forever too!! Cases of bottled water are not only expensive, they're anti ecological. Buy a couple tumblers to keep in the fridge for cold drinking water.
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:10 AM   #14

Distilled water is something you put in your battery or radiator, not drink! It has no minerals so NO taste at all. It will also remove healthy minerals in your body as it passes through your system. Everything in this universe likes equilibrium.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:32 AM   #15

I fill my FW tank using a filter and drink what comes out of the faucets.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #16

You might consider 2- 3 water containers from home. Just don’t skimp drinking in that heat.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:09 AM   #17

At home we use the Kube system and really like it. It attaches to the cold water inlet under our kitchen sink and comes through our regular kitchen faucet. I don't know anything about your RV, but if we had the space for it in our Mini Lite 2304ks, we'd definitely put one in. The filters last a really long time.

http://www.kubewater.com/discover/
wannabeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbryanpeters View Post
I fill my FW tank using a filter and drink what comes out of the faucets.
I tried that once. If your water at home is perfect, that'll work for one fill! Also CG water is notorious for having trouble with their water. Not good to put in your mouth. Disgusting!!!
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:36 AM   #19
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltown View Post
Distilled water is something you put in your battery or radiator, not drink! It has no minerals so NO taste at all. It will also remove healthy minerals in your body as it passes through your system. Everything in this universe likes equilibrium.
That's the same with RO systems. You need to add vitamins and minerals back to the water.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:35 AM   #20

BWT Premium Water Filter Pitcher & 3 Filters, Award Winning Austrian Quality, Technology For Superior Filtration & Taste https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BFNHU4E..._uY9iBbB5Y05FY
Thanks for the responses. We were going to go with the zero water, then I saw this and we’ll give it a try. They all have great reviews and some really bad ones. I’m sure my wife will have me pack the distiller in case this doesn’t work well.

Tags
water