Old 09-09-2020, 07:02 AM   #1

Hesitating stairs

Hello. Just wondering if anyone has come across this before. Sometimes when I close my door the stairs will not retract! They go out fine, but they sometimes take 2-30 seconds to close! Itís not all the time, only occasionally. Iím thinking it may be the control box, but Iím not sure. It could be the switch but when it acts up tapping the switch or putting my bypass magnet next to it does nothing, thatís why Iím thinking control box!

Anyone?

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:28 AM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

I had a similar problem with the stairs on our 2010 Georgetown last year.
I described it as having the hiccups both incoming and outgoing.
Like you, I had my bypass magnet to test the automatic door operation from time to time. So.....

If you ONLY use the magnet to simulate the door opening and closing in real time, do you get the same results?

I did, and because of the age of the entire step assembly, I replaced the entire step assembly on mine.
I also suspected it was the control box at the center of the problem, but Iím not sure the original steps are even available anymore since Lippert absorbed the original brand of steps.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S with Trekker cap
and only rarely pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:53 AM   #3

I only use the magnet for when I’m parked by a curb. And I use it for testing. But it didn’t work the steps when testing the switch. And yes there are only a couple parts available. I replaced the motor last year when a tooth stripped internally. Not sure if a control box is still available.
I don’t want to replace the steps as they are a 3 step unit and that would be around $1000!

Old 09-09-2020, 09:01 AM   #4

Have you lubricated those steps? You might have crud in there gumming up the works.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:14 PM   #5

Yep. Cleaned them all last year when I did the motor!

Old 09-09-2020, 03:36 PM   #6
2012 Solera

I did replace the step controller. Posted here, post #7 :
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2337963

Two trips since without problems.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:53 AM   #7
Norwood Auto Italia

I think either the motor or the transmission for the step is about to fail. I have replaced 2 of them and in the process discovered that everyone who enters or leaves the coach has to be briefed that they must not touch the step until its completely finished moving. Its quite easy to anticipate the completion of the cycle when you are in a hurry to enter or leave but even that last 1/4" of extension cannot take any weight without damaging the step mechanism. You might get away with not appearing to break anything once or twice but the damage is hidden until you see the hesitancy that you and others have remarked upon.

Children and in particular teenagers are the biggest culprits in my experience but i did it to myself !
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
I think either the motor or the transmission for the step is about to fail. I have replaced 2 of them and in the process discovered that everyone who enters or leaves the coach has to be briefed that they must not touch the step until its completely finished moving. Its quite easy to anticipate the completion of the cycle when you are in a hurry to enter or leave but even that last 1/4" of extension cannot take any weight without damaging the step mechanism. You might get away with not appearing to break anything once or twice but the damage is hidden until you see the hesitancy that you and others have remarked upon.

Children and in particular teenagers are the biggest culprits in my experience but i did it to myself !
I believe that is why the first motor failed. this motor is working good. there is no binding. it just doesnt move right away. sometimes it takes up to 30 seconds to close. once it starts working it works good for the rest of the trip. Next time it comes home I will check the power and ground.

Old 09-16-2020, 01:11 PM   #9
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
I believe that is why the first motor failed. this motor is working good. there is no binding. it just doesn't move right away. sometimes it takes up to 30 seconds to close. once it starts working it works good for the rest of the trip. Next time it comes home I will check the power and ground.
It takes very little to strip the teeth of the transmission or overload the motor. and its that footfall on the step as it goes through its last inch of deployment that can completely strip a pinion. So even the last 1/4" must not be interfered with in any way. My step hit the curb when it extended last year. Destroyed the transmission but it had completely extended so I thought I had just experienced a near miss. But the effect of banging into the curb as it completed its extension was enough to ruin it.

wish they had a switch to prevent extension under any circumstances. Huge liability doing that though.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:16 PM   #10

Yes it's an interesting design, but far from perfect. It broke on me before our first trip. At least it did it in the driveway. $90 later and it was working. The step arm has to go over center to lock in place. Like you said, that last little bit of motor moment is crucial to proper operation and longevity. We always wait till the steps have completely stopped bioremediation stepping on them.