Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2022, 10:58 PM   #1

High altitude issues with propane Dometic refrigerator

While dry camping at higher altitudes, 7k to 10k, my refrigerator (Dometic) at times, turns off. The pilot tries to ignite but at times the flame, (just for better terms), burps and won't relight and I get the error light. When I turn the unit off and wait a few minutes it will return to normal operation. It will remain on for maybe an hour or two but repeats the same once the thermastate (plastic sliding thing on alloy fins) cycles.
Are there high altitude fixes or adjustments available?
Stompnstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 02:26 AM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Assuming that your regulator is working (stove & furnace normal), you are not low/out of LP, your solenoid valve is opening, the manual valve is full open and the burner tube is not partially clogged (itsy bitsy spider), then I suggest you check the ignitor electrode gap. It should be 1/8” to 3/16”. It is my experience that the ignitor gap is seldom serviced and it can/does get out of tolerance.

If I recall correctly I believe the unit will shut off after X number of attempts to re-light.
Old 04-15-2022, 05:56 AM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

Follow Up

Ooopsie, I forgot to answer your Q directly. There is no altitude adjustment for LP. The on board regulator takes care of pressure. I am confident that making sure the burner tube/orifice assembly is clean and the ignitor is properly gapped will cure your ills.

If you post the model # of your fridge I can check the gap spec in case it is different from model to model.

Note: None of the above applies to refrigerators in towable units.
Old 04-15-2022, 08:06 AM   #4

Thank you

I’ll post of the model/ser# later. If these are some fixes/remedies to my issues, would this be a typical layman’s type repair or should a professional RV service be in order?
Old 04-15-2022, 11:34 AM   #5
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stompnstu View Post
I’ll post of the model/ser# later. If these are some fixes/remedies to my issues, would this be a typical layman’s type repair or should a professional RV service be in order?
If you can adjust a Shimano you can do it. A few hex head screws and metal plates to remove on the back. Then a small ruler (I stole one from my DW’s sewing bag) and a needle nose. The burner tube can be cleaned with a rolled paper towel or modeling brush.

Just the model # will suffice.
Old 04-15-2022, 06:41 PM   #6

Model#

If it’s a Shimano Derailure and not a fishing reel then I got this.

DM2652RBX

2015 Forest River, Solera
Old 04-15-2022, 06:59 PM   #7
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stompnstu View Post
If it’s a Shimano Derailure and not a fishing reel then I got this.

DM2652RBX

2015 Forest River, Solera
Yup, it is the same 1/8-3/16 gap. Annual service item.
Old 04-18-2022, 06:13 PM   #8

Our frig did the same thing when we camped at Yellowstone above 6,000 feet. The burner in the furnace was also having problems staying lit. Got back to lower elevation and they both working fine.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 08:51 PM   #9

I had the same problem above 6k with my Dometic frig. Called the dealer and Dometic and they both told me that above 5.5k it should be ran on 120v only and yep it stated that on page 3 of instruction book. Then there are others that have no problem. Mine happened at night when the temp. dropped to around 40. If you do a search you will find lots of posts on this problem.
Werk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 09:11 PM   #10

I have the same problem at 7,000 feet. My next thing to try is full tanks. I have been running almost empty tanks.
JPin AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 09:57 AM   #11
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werk View Post
I had the same problem above 6k with my Dometic frig. Called the dealer and Dometic and they both told me that above 5.5k it should be ran on 120v only and yep it stated that on page 3 of instruction book. Then there are others that have no problem. Mine happened at night when the temp. dropped to around 40. If you do a search you will find lots of posts on this problem.
That is correct info for both Dometic and Norcold. You will get reduced efficiency and MAY get burner outages so you SHOULD use 120V when available. You will stand a better chance of not getting burner outages if your burner is in “tune”. We camp up to 10,000 ft msl elevation (and will next Month) and have had only one failure which was at 8,400’ (North Rim). Serviced the burner and all was well. If I had 120v available I would use it. When I run the genset to recharge the fridge auto switches to AC anyway. BTW, the genset does run at 10k’ but not well.
Old 04-19-2022, 11:38 AM   #12

As far as having the appliances "tuned", when we had the problem the RV was about two months old and was the first time the furnace was actually used.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 05:57 PM   #13
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
As far as having the appliances "tuned", when we had the problem the RV was about two months old and was the first time the furnace was actually used.
Very possible. However, the topic was refrigerators. Furnaces can be a very different animal. I’m sure an installer never dropped a furnace and jarred things out of specs. PDI did not reveal a problem?
Old 04-19-2022, 06:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Very possible. However, the topic was refrigerators. Furnaces can be a very different animal. I’m sure an installer never dropped a furnace and jarred things out of specs. PDI did not reveal a problem?
Why "Ignitor Gap" when he stated at the start.......it does ignite and sometimes it runs properly for an hour or so then later it doesn't run properly and shuts off.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 06:21 PM   #15

Oxygen is thinner and doesn't support a flame as well.
Larryneu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 09:47 AM   #16

High Altitude

I had problems with my Norcold at high altitude in Colorado. It periodically would not light. Igniter was gapped properly, and stove etc. would work OK. In the process I adjusted my regulator to slightly lower pressure. Less oxygen, so mixture was too rich. That helped but the real culprit turned out to be the propane I had in my bottles. We spend a couple of months at the Texas Gulf coast in the Fall/Winter. I would need to fill my propane bottles down there. I found out that they use more Butane mixed with their propane since it's always warm down there. (I always wondered why their fills were so much cheaper than in Colorado). I returned to Colorado, where we camp at 8800 feet with nights down around high 30's low 40's at night. That is when I would have trouble with the Fridge. Every morning I would get up and have to relight it. Sometimes it took 2 or 3 tries to get it to go. I had one bottle from Texas, and one from Colorado. I was running on the Texas bottle and switched to the Colorado bottle and haven't had a problem since. Fortunately, I own 3 bottles so replaced the Texas bottle with 2 from Colorado. That was 4 years ago, and no problems with my Norcold since. I now am careful to note where the bottle was filled when I use it. I explained, and asked, and received all of the same questions, and answers you are getting here. This is what worked for me.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 10:05 AM   #17

*whistles and pats the side of my 12v, non-altitude sensitive fridge*
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 10:23 AM   #18

After a long explanation, one other comment: You don't specify the age of your Fridge, but Dometics are known to have problematic circuit boards. Google the model number and see what comes up.

Former Montana owner
Old 04-20-2022, 10:27 AM   #19

Quote:
From the Dometic manual,

"OPERATING REFRIGERATOR AT HIGH ALTITUDE

All gas appliances experience lowered efficiency (or rating) at high altitude This is a direct result of lower atmospheric pressure and oxygen levels, and is not a defect of the refrigerator.

Reduced cooling performance and burner outage may occur at altitudes higher than 5500 feet above sea level (while operating on LP gas). Always operate refrigerator on electric power at altitudes higher than 5500 feet."

Contact info,

DOMETIC CORPORATION 2320 Industrial Parkway Elkhart, IN 46516 Phone: 574-294-2511
(Emphasis added.)

-- Chuck
Old 04-20-2022, 11:44 AM   #20

Quote:
From the Dometic manual,

"OPERATING REFRIGERATOR AT HIGH ALTITUDE

All gas appliances experience lowered efficiency (or rating) at high altitude This is a direct result of lower atmospheric pressure and oxygen levels, and is not a defect of the refrigerator.

Reduced cooling performance and burner outage may occur at altitudes higher than 5500 feet above sea level (while operating on LP gas). Always operate refrigerator on electric power at altitudes higher than 5500 feet."

Contact info,

DOMETIC CORPORATION 2320 Industrial Parkway Elkhart, IN 46516 Phone: 574-294-2511
(Emphasis added.)

-- Chuck

Yup; I think Norcold has a similar disclaimer. Tell that to the thousands of people that camp using those refrigerators all over the Rocky Mountains and Sierra Nevada's. I've been using either a Dometic, or a Norcold for 45 years. Other than my problem above I've had very good luck. It must be a liability thing.

Former Montana owner

Tags
dometic, propane, refrigerator