Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2021, 09:31 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoods View Post
From Portland you would take 6 west to 101 in Tillamook. It's 101 all the way to Leggett, CA where 1 splits off to the coast.

We've towed a 28' trailer with a Tundra on that section of 101 (and 6) except for the stretch between Crescent City and Coos Bay. Very doable in your size MH even with your toad.

In Oregon we recommend:
Tillamook Cheese factory
Tillamook Air Museum is just ok
Cape Mears lighthouse
Depot Bay
Heceta Head lighthouse
Dean Creek Elk viewing area east of Reedsport
Umpqua lighthouse
Oregon Caves (inland between Grants Pass and Crescent City)

We camped at Pleasant Valley RV Park south of Tillamook (with all their rabbits) and William Tugman State Park. Oregon state parks are great.

In California we camped across from Jedediah Smith State Park at Redwood Meadows. Your rig may be too big for Redwood State & National Park but plan on visiting. Fern Canyon in that park was where a scene in One of the Jurassic Park movies was filmed.

Humbolt Redwoods is a must see (think planet of Endor in Star Wars).

If you are into steam trains, the Skunk Train runs between Fort Bragg (hwy 1) and Willits (hwy 101).

Haven't towed anything bigger than a small tent trailer on 1 so I'll let others comment on that. It is much more twisty turns than 101.

My goal was to find the best fish and chips on 101. Turned out to be here in San Diego but the journey was fun.
Thanks! Great info! I checked out ‘traveling Robert’ as suggested in a previous response and I think we’ll be parking at a RV Park and traversing the coast in the Jeep. Those roads are narrow! Thanks for the stop suggestions!
Cinders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 02:08 PM   #22

You’ll be OK on the coast highway but if not comfortable you’ll back up traffic behind you. Use pullouts to let others pass.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:30 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
You’ll be OK on the coast highway but if not comfortable you’ll back up traffic behind you. Use pullouts to let others pass.

I do appreciate it when RV’s pull off to let folks pass. I try to do that, too. I think we are going to park the RV and drive the Jeep in sections. Thanks for your reply.
Cinders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 11:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
The PCH is worth the time. I drove it twice northbound. Never southbound. First trip was in our 28’ Coachmen A. Stop over in Morrow Bay (Cypress RV) and a little state park near Hurst castle (dry camping) with a tunnel under the highway to the beach. Second trip was in our 30’ B+ which has an almost 30” longer wheelbase than the A. Both trips we towed the same car 4 down. We would do it again if we were going west. Both of our trips began in Dana Point (Family) and ended in Tillamook, OR where we turn inland to head to LL Stubs State Park.

Heads up. There is a section that has slid into ocean so you will have a 25+ mile detour on unknown roads.
Happy Trails
Are you talking about this slide/detour? Looks like they already opened it back up. The last slide took over a year but this one cranked the important stuff out so the road could open. I’m heading out June 3rd to attempt the route from San Simeon northbound to Pfeifer Big Sur.
https://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/hig...onditions.html
JoshNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 11:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinders View Post
I do appreciate it when RV’s pull off to let folks pass. I try to do that, too. I think we are going to park the RV and drive the Jeep in sections. Thanks for your reply.
When you heading out? I’m planning to take my FR3 32DS on the scenic/narrower portion from the south (through Pismo/San Simeon/etc) to north (Pfeifer Big Sur) this Thursday morning/afternoon (June 3rd) with no tow vehicle. I can add comments after.
JoshNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:59 PM   #26
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshNelson View Post
Are you talking about this slide/detour? Looks like they already opened it back up. The last slide took over a year but this one cranked the important stuff out so the road could open. I’m heading out June 3rd to attempt the route from San Simeon northbound to Pfeifer Big Sur.
https://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/hig...onditions.html
Wow! The CA road fixers really hit that hard. That is fantastic. Enjoy the drive.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:59 PM   #27

I just hate having anybody behind me that wants to go faster. It's much more comfortable when nobody is waiting to get by. I pull over a lot.

At one time or another, I've driven Highway 1 from Oceanside to Leggit. North of Leggit it's pretty much considered 101 as far as I understand. Could be wrong about that. As someone said earlier avoid that spot from Leggett across. There's a crossover at Fort Bragg I believe that is much better.

Depending on when you go and how large your rig is there will be "white knuckle" moments. Much of the road is wide, straight and beautiful. In other places, switchbacks and zero shoulder make it more interesting.

Probably the worst spot is just north of the Golden Gate. It's probably the worst road that I've ever been on with a trailer. After the first time I learned to go to San Rafael and cross. You don't miss much except the highly crowded areas impacted by short trip San Franciscans.

My favorite area is the coastal redwoods. There are many beautiful and awe inspiring moments on this road. Take lots of pictures.
edukehtoer is offline   Reply With Quote