Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2021, 08:48 PM   #21

Car Crushes Catalytic Converter Thief to Death, Sheriff’s Office Says

10 Dec 2021
"Detectives found evidence on scene that would indicate the male was in the process of cutting off and stealing the catalytic converter belonging to the Toyota Prius prior to his death,” the sheriff’s office wrote.
Another Darwin Award.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 07:53 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
A few weeks ago I was reading this and thinking: that sucks
Well I was out at the storage lot checking on my motorhome, I found the wind had destroyed my cover. No big deal, it’s 6 years old. I cleaned up the cover and went to start the motorhome. I knew the instant it started someone had stolen the cat[emoji36]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5203.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	267181Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5186.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	267182

I found out 12 others were taken at the same time.

This weeks project, take it in to get it replaced.
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 08:22 PM   #23

Very sorry to hear about your theft. There was an article by an insurance carrier recommending we paint an orange stripe on our converters. Seems that after chemicals are harvested they paint it orange. If thieves see orange they will not steal since it cannot be sold.i have done mine.
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 09:18 PM   #24

I read an article recently about how the cats are salvaged after being stolen. They said they are often melted down to retrieve the precious metals and sold out of the country. So the vin etching and painting may not be much of a deterrent.
I was looking under our Armada to see if I could do anything and it doesn't look easy. I do kind of like the idea of welding some high strength chain on there, may have to look again to see if that would work.
Old 12-28-2021, 09:21 PM   #25

I'm thinking of collecting rattlesnakes! Or maybe spread a little Cholla cactii under there.
Old 12-29-2021, 04:58 PM   #26

My Lexington is in the shop getting a new catalytic converter. I few people suggested I use straight pipe and save money, but my morals will not let me pollute more than I have to.

My current thoughts on theft deterrent:
A) Add an alarm to detect cutting underneath-simple trip wire two or three 130db alarms.
B) Use one of the cable based catalytic converter grads - something like this https://www.napaonline.com/accessori...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
C) Motion based camera run from solar cells.

Alternative thoughts?
Old 12-29-2021, 05:12 PM   #27
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviBill View Post
My Lexington is in the shop getting a new catalytic converter. I few people suggested I use straight pipe and save money, but my morals will not let me pollute more than I have to.

A) Add an alarm to detect cutting underneath-simple trip wire two or three 130db alarms.
B) Use one of the cable based catalytic converter grads - something like this https://www.napaonline.com/accessori...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Alternative thoughts?
Interesting lock idea.

As far as the camera,they are in and out so fast that by the time you see them,process what is going on and react they are gone.

Where I am we are getting dozens of thefts a day and they are seen on camera. They are literally in and out in under 30 seconds sometimes.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 05:13 PM   #28

These catalytic converter thefts have me concerned, but is this theft occurring solely at storage lots? Has anyone had a cat theft while the RV was at a campsite, or in a parking lot of a store, like a Walmart? I store my motorhome indoors at home, and it never goes to an unsecured location for service, so I’m not worried about theft there, but I wonder what the chances are when traveling.
Old 12-29-2021, 05:51 PM   #29
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
These catalytic converter thefts have me concerned, but is this theft occurring solely at storage lots? Has anyone had a cat theft while the RV was at a campsite, or in a parking lot of a store, like a Walmart? I store my motorhome indoors at home, and it never goes to an unsecured location for service, so I’m not worried about theft there, but I wonder what the chances are when traveling.
Here they are in driveways at night, during the day. Shopping center lots, car lots,repair facilities. Even has 3 stolen from a high school lot while the kids were in class.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 05:56 PM   #30

there has to be BETTER security provided at storage lots... DEMAND IT... cameras are NOT enough...

weld, bolt metal OVER the exposed CATS... deter thieves...

EVERYBODY... IT IS NOT your problem UNTIL IT IS!

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 08:48 PM   #31

Will everyone please stick to the topic of Catalytic Converter theft/safety. If you want to go on mad rants, please take it someplace else.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:33 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Will everyone please stick to the topic of Catalytic Converter theft/safety. If you want to go on mad rants, please take it someplace else.

The site team has removed these aforementioned posts as off topic and/or baiting.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 09:33 PM   #33
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:

Alternative thoughts?
Here is the BEST alternative: Don't park it there anymore! Unless of course you like doing these projects. And don't think, 'well, what's the chance of it happening in the same place twice'?
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 09:38 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Here is the BEST alternative: Don't park it there anymore! Unless of course you like doing these projects. And don't think, 'well, what's the chance of it happening in the same place twice'?
Nice thought, but several other storage yards in the area got hit in the past month. I can't park at home and for reasons I don't like I can't go fulltime (my preferred methos of not park in a storage yard).
Old 01-02-2022, 09:54 PM   #35

Was just thinking. Maybe an air suspension would be the answer. When vehicle is parked, air it down to the point a hamster couldn't crawl underneath.

OK, perhaps tongue in cheek but-------????

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 09:57 PM   #36
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Nice thought, but several other storage yards in the area got hit in the past month. I can't park at home and for reasons I don't like I can't go fulltime (my preferred methos of not park in a storage yard).
Maybe ask someone near you with a bit of land if they would be willing to rent you space to park it. Out of sight of public, less risk. I think that when multiple RV's are grouped together, they are at higher risk of being targeted. Just like when these fine upstanding recyclers see a parking lot full of cars at a dealer (common target).
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 10:11 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post

10 Dec 2021
"Detectives found evidence on scene that would indicate the male was in the process of cutting off and stealing the catalytic converter belonging to the Toyota Prius prior to his death,” the sheriff’s office wrote.
Another Darwin Award.
The comments in that link are hilarious.
Old 01-02-2022, 10:24 PM   #38

I don't store mine at home, but it is inside. My concern before our last trip, was that the converter was easy for one of these thieves to steal while it's at home the night before we leave.

We like to load the refrigerator and a lot of things the day before we leave, so in order for the fridge to work properly, I have it up on the leveling jacks, which makes it real easy to get under.
Now, we haven't had any problems I'm aware of in the neighborhood, but the rise of these thefts has been featured on the local news, and those types drive around looking for high sitting vehicles easy to get under. Luckily nothing happened, but this thread and others like it got my attention.
Old 01-02-2022, 11:28 PM   #39

Here's an idea!

How about driving a bunch of sharp nails through a 4x8 sheet of plywood, secure it with good anchoring into the ground, nails pointed up, and then straddle your rig over it so the converter is over the plywood. Slightly disguise it in with a light covering of dirt/weeds/etc...

Set up a motion camera, it could make a great YouTube video.

You can thank me later when your video wins on Americas Funniest Videos.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 02:19 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riich View Post
Here's an idea!

How about driving a bunch of sharp nails through a 4x8 sheet of plywood, secure it with good anchoring into the ground, nails pointed up, and then straddle your rig over it so the converter is over the plywood. Slightly disguise it in with a light covering of dirt/weeds/etc...

Set up a motion camera, it could make a great YouTube video.

You can thank me later when your video wins on Americas Funniest Videos.
Add some Benny Hill music and it could go viral. You may be on to something. Trouble is, a lot of us might be in the age bracket where we would forget about the plywood and nails, and run over them when we leave.
Then we'd be just like Wiley Coyote getting caught in his own trap

Tags
cat, converter