Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2021, 01:47 PM   #1

How to Avoid Theft of Catalytic Converters

I know there is another thread concerning the growing problem of our catalytic converters being stolen. A friend of ours just had theirs cut off, while parked in our neighborhood. This is a growing problem. Rhodium is now the world's most expensive metal and it is needed in our converters. My question is how can we protect our converters from being stolen? There were some ideas on the other thread but they sounded very involved not not very secure. Anyone have any ideas?
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:54 PM   #2

I am considering talking to a welding shop about building a hard to cut cage bolted to the frame around mine. If they want it they will really have to work at it.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 03:11 PM   #3

https://youtu.be/Rvq5k0wh7nE

This guy came up with motion sensor and an alarm to alert you that someone is crawling under your rig.

https://www.catstrap.net/ These guys sell a similar thing with a bundle of cable to run the length of the converter exhaust pipe.
Old 10-21-2021, 04:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergiop View Post
https://youtu.be/Rvq5k0wh7nE

This guy came up with motion sensor and an alarm to alert you that someone is crawling under your rig.

https://www.catstrap.net/ These guys sell a similar thing with a bundle of cable to run the length of the converter exhaust pipe.
Both are interesting! What if a rabbit or squirrel run under your vehicle. I'm assuming it will alarm? I have to admit, he was pretty crafty using the motion detector in a way that was pretty inexpensive.

I'm going to have to look closer at that catstrap. We've had a bunch of CC thefts here.

2021 Surveyor 203rkle
2018 Chevy Silverado
Fastway e2 Hitch
wyodrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:55 AM   #5
Always Learning

My issue with any means of protection is that the thieves are already under there with saws that are capable of cutting metal. What is different about things like the Cat Strap vs. the metal that mounts up the catalytic converter?
Old 10-22-2021, 11:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
My issue with any means of protection is that the thieves are already under there with saws that are capable of cutting metal. What is different about things like the Cat Strap vs. the metal that mounts up the catalytic converter?
The guy that made his own alarm placed the motion sensors at the edges of the rv so as soon as something starts to go under it, it will alarm before any cutting starts.

The Cat Strap has wire cable that in their video shows how the wire dulls the cutting blade teeth, in theory making them need to change blades after cutting a wire or two. Cat Strap also has a motion sensor with alarm that can be used too.

Cutting the pipe only takes about 2 minutes. Adding plates, cable and motion sensors increases the time to cut the pipe. Plus the noise the actual cutting makes is very loud, so anything to increase the time they are making noise is going to help get attention.

One video I saw the guy put muffler clamps all long the pipe where it’s easy to cut. He must have used 20 clamps one next to the other essentially increasing the amount of metal to cut. Beats me if that would work but 20 exhaust clamps cost what $50?
Old 10-22-2021, 01:56 PM   #7

Quote:
One video I saw the guy put muffler clamps all long the pipe where it’s easy to cut. He must have used 20 clamps one next to the other essentially increasing the amount of metal to cut. Beats me if that would work but 20 exhaust clamps cost what $50?
much cheaper then the insurance deducible

I did similar tightly wrapping 3/16 th aircraft cable around the easy to get at pipe and securing with multiple muffler clamps giving no easy access

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:44 PM   #8

I've also seen recommendations to paint "STOLEN" on them with high temp paint, preferably in a bright color.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 03:17 PM   #9

One thing that could be done but won’t is to make it a federal requirement to show proof of ownership by presenting the vehicle title at the time of sale. The buyer must then photo copy the title and ID of the seller, maintaining a 7 year record.

As it stands now there is no pressure on buyers to vet sellers. It won’t stop it but it will slow it down. A similar crackdown slowed selling stolen items to pawn shops.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderMore View Post
One thing that could be done but won’t is to make it a federal requirement to show proof of ownership by presenting the vehicle title at the time of sale. The buyer must then photo copy the title and ID of the seller, maintaining a 7 year record.

As it stands now there is no pressure on buyers to vet sellers. It won’t stop it but it will slow it down. A similar crackdown slowed selling stolen items to pawn shops.
I agree 100% why aren't they required to submit proof when they should up to sell is beyond me. It seems that there's no legitimate way to get these precious metals so common sense is to make it illegal to sale it unless you have a junk yard license or similar where it would make sense. Sounds simple to do but obviously the govt. Doesn't see it that way or it would've been done already.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:20 PM   #11
Site Team

It's pretty big business. There are places like this on the internet, that show you current scrap prices of catalytic converters. You can click on each type to see the fitments, to educate yourself on if your vehicles is more valuable than others so as to judge your risk of being a victim. When you see these values, you may understand more why people are stealing these for the money they can make.

https://rrcats.com/catalytic-converter-scrap-prices/

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 10:32 AM   #12

There are contraptions you can put over your CC to protect them but they’re very expensive.

What I do is paint them with high temp orange spray paint, which devalues them. I then engrave the VIN on them. If stolen and the suspect is found with them they can be traced back to you, which makes prosecuting them much easier.

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS

Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 Solar installation
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:00 AM   #13

I took pieces of high grade transport chain and welded one end to the frame then around the end of the catalytic converter and back to the frame and then tacked the chain to the converter in three spots. Did this both ends and also added two pieces of short chain from the frame to the converter. Only took a few hours for me and I am sure a welding shop could do it faster.

Only a deterrent I know but a thief would have to cut through six chains which would be twelve cuts through 3/8" steel. Fairly tough with a saws-all type of tool, easier with a cutoff wheel if the battery lasted. Hopefully a thief would move on.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:08 AM   #14

Just thought of a news release recently. A couple of guys were caught on cctv removing a convertor in a suburban driveway. The owner of the house came out and when she confronted them she got pepper sprayed. It then shows the guys driving off with the convertor and the lady was on her knees screaming from the spraying she got.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:16 PM   #15

If I had to park me vehicles outside I would be inclined to adopt a large dog and teach him to sleep under the vehicles.

Imagine the surprise when someone slides under the vehicle and meets up with teeth much larger than the ones on his sawzall.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 01:31 PM   #16

I’m lucky to have two giant German shepherds living across the lane from the gate to my backyard that are great watchdogs. If anything is going on they set off my little yappy dogs lol.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:08 AM   #17
NXR

I use a few Blink wireless cameras in the motorhome to keep an eye on things, and the inside temperature, when we're gone. Since we're parked at home for a while I moved one camera underneath and secured it to the frame with a couple of tie wraps.

It's motion-activated and anyone sliding underneath cannot help but see that the blue light came on. Its night vision should get me a good black and white picture of them as they look directly at the camera to see what that blue light is. It also records audio so maybe I'll even get a recording of their voice saying "What the ****?"

Yes, a note on the steering wheel reminds me to remove the camera before driving off.

No false alarms yet and someone walking right next to the motorhome triggers the camera. Even with my phone on "night silent" the Blink app can still give a loud notification. I keep my car keys by my phone in the bedroom and there is a car in the driveway. Yup, I'm hitting the car's Panic Alarm button as soon as I see someone on the camera.

Don't know if it will help but at least this was a no-cost way of not getting surprised the next time I start the engine.

Ray
Old 10-25-2021, 08:12 AM   #18

Converter Security

My storage lot added a gravel hump to my parking spot that prevents anyone from crawling under the RV anywhere near the converter.

2005 Forester 2901
2005 Scion XB
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:29 AM   #19

Engraving vins on them, motion lights and knowing areas of concern are important!
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandog View Post
Engraving vins on them, motion lights and knowing areas of concern are important!
Not sure an engraved VIN # would stop a thief from sawing a cat off. Maybe from being able to sell but in the end the cat is still gone from the vehicle.

Same for orange paint. Some gasoline and a match makes paint disappear.

The only cure is to go after those who are purchasing the stolen cats.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, converter