Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2018, 12:53 AM   #1

If I were to buy again. ... aesthetically speaking ...

If I were to buy again....

I would make sure the dining table was across from the living room area... To make a line of conversation ... Nothing worst than having company... And everyone sitting on the same side of the rv... Twisting and turning trying to have a conversation..

I also learned, it is very important, the majority of the windows are located on the passenger side... Nothing worst than sitting to your table and the only thing you can see out the window ... Is another persons campsite.. so the blinds go down

Having few windows on the passengers side means you can't see what's going on in your own campsite...

And not being able to walk around the bed... Big peeve of mine... Then the inside person don't have to scramble out to the foot of the bed...

Or make the bed with a boomerang
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:58 AM   #2

Now you can see why I’m on my 7th RV in 13 years. I think we may have got it this time around. Haha.
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by colourful64 View Post
If I were to buy again....

I would make sure the dining table was across from the living room area... To make a line of conversation ... Nothing worst than having company... And everyone sitting on the same side of the rv... Twisting and turning trying to have a conversation..

I also learned, it is very important, the majority of the windows are located on the passenger side... Nothing worst than sitting to your table and the only thing you can see out the window ... Is another persons campsite.. so the blinds go down

Having few windows on the passengers side means you can't see what's going on in your own campsite...

And not being able to walk around the bed... Big peeve of mine... Then the inside person don't have to scramble out to the foot of the bed...

Or make the bed with a boomerang
Have to agree with everything you mention. We took a trip to Alaska in August of 2016 for three weeks. We rented a coach there for the trip.
Found out what we felt would work best for us. After our return we then decided we liked traveling in a RV, so we started looking. We were looking for a floorplan with most of the features you list. We ended up ordering a 3051 which has everything you list. We’re very happy with the floorplan.

One other thing I would add is that I’m not fond of the floorplans that have the shower stall in the hallway. I prefer it behind a door so I dont have see it all the time.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:55 AM   #4

I agree with having more windows on the passenger side. Considering the angle of most back-in spaces the left side windows tend to look back at the road and right side windows have "the view."
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:12 AM   #5

That is why I have the Rear Living floor plan, I have a full view out the rear that is great when camped on a lake or river which is where we prefer to go
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:55 AM   #6
Always Learning

I'm another- I agree with everything you wrote!
Old 02-26-2018, 01:28 PM   #7

I made sure the table and chairs on the passenger side with the windows. Theater seating faces the tv and sofa faces forward. Best for all. Plus we have a bonus room if 2-4 want away from the hub bub
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:48 PM   #8

I constantly look at new models and see things I like, I just don't know if one can ever get everything you want in a TT. I guess if you design and build your own, you would still find something you would want to change. No different than building a house.

We looked for a long time before we found our perfect camper, the 2618 VS. Its a v nose with the kitchen in the front V.

We like the rear bedroom on ours. When we wake in the morning we can look out the large rear window, usually straight to the woods or a creek, lake setting. With the bed in the front, we see other campers or the road.
We also have a large window on both sides of the living area so plenty of outside space. This was one of the DW must haves, large windows.
2015 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0 L 4:10
2016 Rockwood 2616 VS
pd2436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:57 PM   #9

Agree with all your observations. Just purchased new 5er and it has all your items.
Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:07 PM   #10

We have a motorhome now that works wonderfully for us but this thread made me smile. Back when we bought a fifth wheel DH insisted he wanted a big back window with recliners in front of it. BIG problem turned out to be that one chair had to be wrestled into the door way to bring the slide in and wrestled back in place when you set up camp. Plus that slide kept anyone more than 120 pounds from accessing the bathroom or bedroom when it was retracted. Most awkward lol. Big oops on our part.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:32 PM   #11

On our lists of wants include window front & rear of TT (love our MicroLite front but none in rear) and the ability to access bed from both sides & get to bathroom & frig when slide is when driving. Had not considered dinette across from couch ...great tip to add to our list when we go a bit longer

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:37 PM   #12

My biggest gripe with my QBOK is the lack of windows on the campsite side. I've often wondered why the door comes with the frosted glass panel on it. Anyone ever swapped one of those out for a window? I'd love to do it and just put a blind or something there if we need privacy.

Nights Camped, 2015: 23, 2016: 27, 2017: 29, 2018: 22, 2019: 29
mikeysotp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:47 PM   #13

Kitchen on driver side and rear living area with lots of windows in back and curb side to enjoy YOUR campsite not your sewer hose and your neighbors site. Also, entertainment center (TV, fireplace, etc) placed so most used seating positions view straight ahead and do not require viewing over your shoulder.
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysotp View Post
My biggest gripe with my QBOK is the lack of windows on the campsite side. I've often wondered why the door comes with the frosted glass panel on it. Anyone ever swapped one of those out for a window? I'd love to do it and just put a blind or something there if we need privacy.
You might try a Slim Shade kit. Replaces the frosted glass with tinted, and has a shade that can be pulled down. Check window dimensions.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=new
Old 02-26-2018, 08:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysotp View Post
We replaced ours with one of the stained glass insert windows. Replacement was straight forward. We bought it at the FROG Rally in Goshen 2 years ago and installed it on site ourselves. It brings beautiful light into the center of our fifth, allows you to see out of portions of it--and virtually impossible for others to see in. (Apparently some folks layer their stained glass with a plexiglass outside; but ours has held up well without it.)
It was a great solution.

Long Leaf Piners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:44 PM   #16

Gotta say, the layout in my 2016 Cardinal 3450RL is pretty good. Couch aross the back with rear window and side windows over each arm. Two theater seats on passenger side slide out facing the TV and fireplace with a window to the left, dining area and large window to the right, with a large window next to the table and smaller window facing forward where I can view the steps into the coach. Windows upstairs include a large window over the dresser facing the passenger side, and two small windows on the slide out by our headboard of the bed. Seated in any of the living area has you either just to the side other seats and table and each can see the kitchen area as well. Of course, as someone else mentioned, this isn't the first go round, and I think we got it right.
card16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:53 PM   #17

Thanks to the OP for bringing these items to my attention. I am getting ready to buy a new 5er and will preview the floorplan.
You made some good observations.
Thamks, RMc
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:28 PM   #18
code.org

Absolutely Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandSH View Post
Kitchen on driver side and rear living area with lots of windows in back and curb side to enjoy YOUR campsite not your sewer hose and your neighbors site. Also, entertainment center (TV, fireplace, etc) placed so most used seating positions view straight ahead and do not require viewing over your shoulder.
You perfectly described the floor plan in our Rockwood 8329ss. Those are the exact reasons we went with that design, as well as being able to get into the bathroom with the slides closed so we can use our own on those long driving days. We especially love the recliner chairs in the rear with windows on three sides and the entertainment center to the front.

The only thing I don't like is that I can't open the fridge with the slide closed because of the center island, but it just takes a moment to bump the slide open enough to get into the fridge, and when camping, we love having the convenience of that center island. Small compromise, but worth it to us.

Getting ours ready now for this year's travels and looking forward to a long camping season. Safe travels to everyone.
2015-14 Nights, '16-90 Nights, '17-101 Nights, '18-146 Nights, '19-76 Nights '20-56 Nights '21-42 Nights '22-86 Nights '23-65 Nights
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:56 PM   #19
Happy Camper

Being able to go RV'ing is wonderful no matter what, but having your desired "extras" just makes it a little better.
Johntgif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:11 PM   #20

yep took us years to find a toy hauler with the kitchen on drivers side and huge slide with couch and dinette in the camp side. now we feel included wile were inside
Miller A_A sport 385 RLTS is offline   Reply With Quote