Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #1

In a pickle....

OK so we just had a blue ox tow package installed on our CRV with their braking system. Had the switch installed to turn the fuse off as not to drain battery. Well turning the switch on also turns off cigarette lighter socket needed to operate the braking system. What can I do ? I'm thinking of getting one of those 12 volt power packs and plug the brake in it. Any other ideas ?
Frank & Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #2

The power acc. outlets are not rated high enough. Prolly blow the fuse as soon as you apply the brakes...or i would think. Trailer brakes are protected by a 20 amp or more circuit protection...depending on axles braking. Make sure they didn't stuff a heavier fuse in...

Any car audio shop can help you with a switched(even if adding a relay) 12v power source

but... I am not familiar with then TV or this exact brake system. Only generic info from me
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #3

What I have done in the past was to run to Walmart or the local auto parts house and pick up a interior/exterior cig lighter and mounted it in the vehicle out of sight. The last time I mounted it under the drivers seat where is was easy to get to.

I would wire the cig light up direct to the battery with an inline fuse for safety. The reason I used an interior/exterior cig lighter is that they come with a spring loaded door so that when not in use the door remains closed so there is no worry of anything getting into the lighter.

Total DIY cost under $10

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #4

What I have done in the past was to run to Walmart or the local auto parts house and pick up a interior/exterior cig lighter and mounted it in the vehicle out of sight. The last time I mounted it under the drivers seat where is was easy to get to.

I would wire the cig light up direct to the battery with an inline fuse for safety. The reason I used an interior/exterior cig lighter is that they come with a spring loaded door so that when not in use the door remains closed so there is no worry of anything getting into the lighter.

Total DIY cost under $10

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
Old 09-19-2014, 01:25 PM   #5

jonrjen....installing a separate socket and wiring it direct.. have you had any problems with your battery running down.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #6

No, no problems with the battery running down. It has always worked like a charm.

Old 09-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #7

We have a blue Ox system for our 2001 crv. I use to get the low battery warning on the blue Ox screen when I plugged into the crv 12v plug. I bought a 12v box that I plug into now and is nice to have in case I need to jump it.
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #8

We tow a CRV with BlueOx tow and use RVI 2 brake and have never experienced any battery drain problem in the CRV. Normal driving day has been 7 to 8 hours.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 09-22-2014, 05:19 PM   #9

We have a Patriot brake system. We've towed our Pathfinder for two days without starting it and it started fine after the second day. Another time the battery ran down after nearly three days. I carry a jumper battery with a 12 volt outlet and it got us to our destination and jumped the Pathfinder when we got there.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:45 PM   #10

DH wired a direct lighter socket. So problem solved. First trip with the tow this weekend. Going crabbing