RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 12-13-2020, 08:05 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post

I still can't buy into this lithium price. 7 x more, to last 2x as long. OK, so because you can run than down further, 1 $900 battery will give you the same as $300 worth of lead acid. and if lead acid last 5 years, and Lithium last 10 years.
4 lead acid batteries = $600
1 lithium - $900.

I bought a 2018 off road racing bike with a $150 lithium battery they installed to save 5 lbs. it lasted 6 months. I replaced it with a $35.00 walmart AGM that is still working great.

Hard to compare a smaller starting battery with larger deep cycle batteries, especially Lithium.

Your math is off a little. A good Lead Acid battery will last for around 500 plus CYCLES before losing capacity. Years are not as important as the number of cycles. Lithium batteries used in RV's for "House Batteries are rated for up to 5,000 (not hundreds but THOUSANDS of cycles).

If one isn't boondocking or has lots of solar power to charge, perhaps running a generator a lot, then lead acid batteries can do the job easily and probably last quite a while.

Those who want to eliminate the large weight (especially with smaller trailers), have longer run time, faster charge time (less generator noise and wear/tear), will enjoy the extra expense.

Lithium Batteries are a choice, not mandatory. For some it's worth the price. Certainly was for me. After 40 years of messing with lead acid batteries it's really nice to have the batteries inside my TT where they're secure (I had two stolen a few years ago), twice the usable power with 1/4th the weight, and fully charged batteries in under 4 hours from 75% discharged. Add to that absolutely zero maintenance. Nothing to leak and cause corrosion.

As for the cost, think of all the other things one pays for in things like a pickup truck that don't make much sense for the cost. Ditto for RV's themselves.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 01:57 PM   #22

Batteries sometimes just go bad. They are not made the way they used to be, just like most things
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 02:50 PM   #23
D W

Been using Interstates for around 30 years. They have lasted 4.5 - 5 years and I'm okay with that. To keep each battery "honest" I have installed an isolator between them with only a modest 0.4 volt drop in charging rate. This way, if one battery goes bad I don't have to throw 2 benjamins at the problem.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:23 PM   #24
2014 XLR 27HFS

The Florida heat is pretty tough on lead acid batteries, so I switched to 2 group 31 AGM's an replaced the RVs factory battery burner - I mean charger - with a quality multi-stage charger/converter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AGM battery bank.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	481.4 KB
ID:	244614   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Unit Before.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	442.9 KB
ID:	244615  
Old 12-14-2020, 04:52 PM   #25

The original question, I think, was about 12v Interstate batteries. No comparison to 6v deep cycle batteries, which should last much longer than 12v.
phillyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:03 PM   #26
Dahagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
The original question, I think, was about 12v Interstate batteries. No comparison to 6v deep cycle batteries, which should last much longer than 12v.
I did not see a voltage mentioned in the first post, just Interstate batteries.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philkaty View Post
Batteries sometimes just go bad. They are not made the way they used to be, just like most things
That actually can be a GOOD thing. I recall batteries of old leaking around terminals. On old batteries the cell to cell connections were external so that meant 6 "leak points" on a 6 volt and 12 places where electrolyte could leak on a 12 volt battery.

Technology does evolve and more often than not provides a better product over the years.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 12-15-2020, 12:20 PM   #28
D W

Quote:
The Battery Isolator I use is a Cole-Hersee 48090 12-36VDC, 90A. I know a lot of folks who have this model on their boats, and they work well. Got mine here:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cole-Hers...lator/32925759
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:50 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
The Battery Isolator I use is a Cole-Hersee 48090 12-36VDC, 90A. I know a lot of folks who have this model on their boats, and they work well. Got mine here:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cole-Hers...lator/32925759
Thanks for the info. I looked at it and see that there are 3 posts, 2 for the batteries and one to the alternator.
Did you connect it to the alternator? I think that there is one cable that goes there from the house batteries.

Thanks,

Phil
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:59 AM   #30

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I looked at it and see that there are 3 posts, 2 for the batteries and one to the alternator.
Did you connect it to the alternator? I think that there is one cable that goes there from the house batteries.

Thanks,

Phil
A word of caution when using these diode type isloators. Unless they've changed drastically from when first introduced, there is a slight voltage drop across the diodes that can keep a battery from fully charging.

I used one when I was still "boating" and the instructions stated you needed to raise the output voltage from the alternator after install so that voltage at the fully charged battery was correct.

This is why most battery isolation devices still use relays that don't create voltage drops.

Voltage drop might be minor but it's still there and could be a large factor for some.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 01-07-2021, 11:21 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankc7037 View Post
I have been told that these batteries should be changed every two years. With proper maintenance shouldn’t these batteries last longer.
Yes.

Generally batteries that last only 2 years did not just die, they were murdered.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...d_acid_battery

Tags
batteries