Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2024, 11:57 AM   #21

Some Helpful RV Tips by 101, for your Motorhome.

The RV TAIL Swing
Click Here to watch Video

RV Driving Driver's Confidence Course - Backing Into a Campsite

How to Drive an RV, First Things to do as a New Driver - Reference Points
DogMan635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 12:27 PM   #22
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMan635 View Post
I don't know this for sure and just a guess on my part. We drive along on our way, we come upon someone who should not be driving a 40-foot-long motorhome.
I have no facts to back up my thoughts on the subject, but I would say you have some extraordinarily rich folks who sell motorhomes. To sell them in all states someone may have pulled some strings to keep CDL licenses away from motorhome drivers.

But in all truth, I feel a one-day or week-long FREE driver's education course would be what the doctor ordered. Some folks have the money but do not know how to operate a big Class A and many Class C included. Just my opinion on the subject. As a lot more motorhomes are taking to the roadway. Every day divers who have issues just, making a curve in the roadway.

One big issue I see in newer drivers taking to the roads. A simple lane change while going 40 MPH with a look for clearance in the side view mirror to reenter the land 20 feet in front of the past vehicle seems like a non-issue. But doing the same trick while going 70 MPH, can make the person being passed hit their brakes creating a chain reaction. When they should be using their review mirror to reenter in front of the past car, as this will push them 50 feet further in front, before re-entering the lane of the vehicle behind them. Rules change on the highway from the country back roads. "Makes you wonder who is teaching them" to drive. Mom, Dad or the public school system or maybe a friend.
Most schools don't offer Driver's Ed anymore, so most kids are forced to take a civilian course with a minimum of hours. These companies are only concerned about the money. Then there's the other group that never took a driving course period and just skated by, and their driving skills demonstrate it.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 06:34 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Most schools don't offer Driver's Ed anymore, so most kids are forced to take a civilian course with a minimum of hours. These companies are only concerned about the money. Then there's the other group that never took a driving course period and just skated by, and their driving skills demonstrate it.
When I was in High School driver's training wasnt offered, either in high school or by or private school.

Drivers training was a family affair with parents, relatives, and even older siblings doing the job.

Back then the Dept of Licensing examiners were strict and thorough. Some kids I knew needed
three attempts to pass.

Also, parents where I lived were stricter than parents today. Most beginner drivers had mom or dad take away the keys for a while after first ticket or accident (even just a fender-bender).

Today parents let the kids drive and if they wreck a car they're often just given another. One such driver here recently wrecked two cars in a several month period, then blew through an intersection, with red light, at over 100mph.

Killed four, one adult and three kids.
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 06:51 PM   #24

For us...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
When I was in High School driver's training wasnt offered, either in high school or by or private school.

Drivers training was a family affair with parents, relatives, and even older siblings doing the job.
Mandatory classroom training for us. Behind the wheel was parents, and maybe older siblings.

Quote:
Back then the Dept of Licensing examiners were strict and thorough. Some kids I knew needed three attempts to pass.
In our area, it was generally accepted that young men would never pass at the first attempt, and often not at the second. Females had much better pass rates.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 07:07 PM   #25

Ya I made a big mistake teaching our sons to drive a stick. I was thinking his vehicle was good being straight drive so his friends couldn't drive it.....Wrong.

So he decided to teach his friends how to drive a stick..........

The other still has a straight drive.

But both are mid thirties and no major accidents. Both have pulled trailers.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 08:27 AM   #26
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Ya I made a big mistake teaching our sons to drive a stick. I was thinking his vehicle was good being straight drive so his friends couldn't drive it.....Wrong.

So he decided to teach his friends how to drive a stick..........

The other still has a straight drive.

But both are mid thirties and no major accidents. Both have pulled trailers.

I insisted on learning on a stick, so I could drive anything. Now you can't even find a stick shift. Not even on the latest Corvette.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 09:25 AM   #27
D W

Quote:

Back then the Dept of Licensing examiners were strict and thorough. Some kids I knew needed
three attempts to pass.

Also, parents where I lived were stricter than parents today. Most beginner drivers had mom or dad take away the keys for a while after first ticket or accident (even just a fender-bender).

Today parents let the kids drive and if they wreck a car they're often just given another. One such driver here recently wrecked two cars in a several month period, then blew through an intersection, with red light, at over 100mph.

Killed four, one adult and three kids.
The only reason Driver's Ed. existed at our school was due to the local dealerships donating cars to the school. From year to year, our school was on a austerity budget. We had a Ford Galaxie sedan with automatic transmission and an AMC Rebel with standard transmission. Those two cars got a workout. The dealerships took care of all the maintenance at no cost to the school. You won't find that anymore.
Old 04-23-2024, 12:25 PM   #28
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Think about it, in most states anyone can go buy a 40'+ motorhome WITH airbrakes and drive it off the lot. Personally, I would like to see each state implement an endorsement test for anyone towing a big trailer or operating a large motorhome, I know a lot will disagree with me, but it is just MY opinion.
You don't want to get into that. That's ongoing in nanny states right now. Give the States an inch and they'll take a mile. Pretty soon they will implement "physicals". On high blood pressure meds or statins, had a heart attack or bypass performed? It's a reason for them to deny you that endorsement.

Like my Mom always said, "Be careful what you wish for 'cause it may come true".
Old 04-23-2024, 01:38 PM   #29

Our school was so small that we had to use the same car for Drivers Education and Sex Education.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 01:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
Our school was so small that we had to use the same car for Drivers Education and Sex Education.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 02:19 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I insisted on learning on a stick, so I could drive anything. Now you can't even find a stick shift. Not even on the latest Corvette.
Yea I learned on a 67 Plymouth Belvedere (3 on the tree) and a Chevy Dump truck .

My last stick was a 2010 Mustang but still have the 86 Mustang SVO 5 Speed.

My son had a VW something stick drove across NC to get it. Can't remember what year it was......

You can get a 2024 Mustang GT with a 6 Speed Manual still. You might have to go over to the dark side from a Corvette............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 04-23-2024, 02:21 PM   #32

Back to the topic the motor home drivers don't bother me near as much as the U-Haul renters.................... at least the motor home drivers have $$$ invested.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 04-23-2024, 03:29 PM   #33

Quote:
Implementing a requirement and enforcement need to go hand in hand. Lately in my state enforcement is almost non-existent for all traffic reg's.
Can you tell that to the copper who got me last week in OH

EDIT...
28 yrs and one red light camera ticket .... about 10yrs ago
was touch and go

Not that I am the greatest driver. In Florida no matter what....
sooner or later there is someone doing worse than you!
Old 04-25-2024, 07:28 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Agreed. I'm seeing way too many people out there today who can barely drive their little cars, much less any kind of rig.
At one time NJ didnít require a CDL my dad was a mechanic at the time for a trucking Co
Just had to go to DMV. No testing. Several peope at the company that never drove a truck got one
snapcap14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 08:19 PM   #35

What is the difference between a driver and a chauffeur ...
A driver is any operator of a motor vehicle. A chauffeur is someone employed to look after the needs of the passenger as well as the operation of the motor vehicle. A chauffeur is an experienced, licensed professional.
jwpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 10:05 PM   #36

Not (YET) in Utah. There is a class you can take for driving with air brakes. Now everyone needs an OHV license to drive a RZR or Banshee type vehicle, non resident, $30. a year, resident $30 lifetime. I've had a CDL for 45 years.
Rixthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 05:42 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwpark View Post
What is the difference between a driver and a chauffeur ...
A driver is any operator of a motor vehicle. A chauffeur is someone employed to look after the needs of the passenger as well as the operation of the motor vehicle. A chauffeur is an experienced, licensed professional.
Back many years ago where I was from, before CDLs you needed a Chauffeurs license to drive a tractor trailer. It had nothing to do with passengers. Later on the name changed to CDL. Somewhere around the 1950s early 60 maybe earlier.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 04-26-2024, 05:52 AM   #38

I stand corrected some states still have Chauffeurs license for commercial vehicles to carry property or people. (between 10,000 lbs and the point where a CDL is required.)

Michigan licenses, designators
and endorsements
Operator's license: Basic Michigan driver's license.
Chauffeur's license: You must be at least age 16. A
chauffeur's license is required if you are employed for
the principal purpose of operating a motor vehicle
with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 10,000
pounds or more, operating a motor vehicle as a
carrier of passengers OR as a common or contract
carrier of property, or operating a bus or a school
bus. You must pass the written chauffeur's test. A
commercial driver's license also may be required,
depending on the vehicle type or the Gross Vehicle
Weight Rating.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 04-26-2024, 06:19 AM   #39

I think TX has a CDL “requirement” I actually learned about it here on this forum a few ago. That said as typing this did a quick search read an article that said not required but then rest of article it reads as if you are required and gives more info on what requirements are for the Class A,B,C except but who knows. I remember the thread from several years ago as the person stated they went to get endorsement but the local DMV couldn’t do driving portion so the poster went where they could and thay DMV couldn’t do it. The truth who knows
Old 04-26-2024, 08:04 AM   #40

Texas. If as single vehicle has a GVR o 26,000 or over a Class B is required. Class A would be required if towing over 10,000 lbs. If you have a large truck and trailer that combined are over 26,000 then a Class A is needed. It is also called an Exempt Class B or A.

I took a written test and a driving test.

It is not a CDL.

Tags
cdl, chauffeur, drivers safety, license, motor, motorhome, test, testing