Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2024, 07:35 PM   #1

Is a chauffeur's license required in your state to operate a Motorhome?

Is a chauffeur's license required in your state to operate a Motorhome?

Driving home with a friend in his Motorhome the subject came up about what states require a chauffeur License to operate an RV. I thought some would like to test their general knowledge on this free chauffeur driver test. This is a simple 13-question test.

Chauffeurs Test 13 questions
Click Here

Drivers Test 20 questions
Click Here

Please feel free to post a Copy of your scores below.
The chauffeur's Test is not required in most, if any U.S. states. But if you do know of a State requiring a written test to be taken to operate a Motorhome, please feel free to let us know below.
H.L. & Jan,
DogMan635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 07:48 PM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

Got a 92 on the chauffeurs test. Didn't know a 'A' rating didn't mean exceeds expectations. But apparently only 45% got that right. Guess I'll have to stick to driving myself! Never heard of this as a requirement.

Couldn't finish the 2nd test. I was laughing too hard at WANTING to pick wrong answers I knew I shouldn't.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 10:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Got a 92 on the chauffeurs test. Didn't know a 'A' rating didn't mean exceeds expectations. But apparently only 45% got that right. Guess I'll have to stick to driving myself! Never heard of this as a requirement.

Couldn't finish the 2nd test. I was laughing too hard at WANTING to pick wrong answers I knew I shouldn't.
But NJKris,
Where is your screenshot evidence of your score?
H.L. & Jan,
Old 04-19-2024, 05:57 AM   #4

I thought this was a serious question at first. I too thought it was funny...........

I'm not awake enough to take the tests...........

We in VA require no extra endorsements on our drivers lisc. to drive a motorhome or pull a camper. I know some states do.

That's where I thought this was going.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 09:14 AM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMan635 View Post
But NJKris,
Where is your screenshot evidence of your score?
Guess you're gonna have to trust me to drive you!
Old 04-19-2024, 09:27 AM   #6
D W

Chauffeur License ? I haven't heard that term since the '90's. No CDL required in Alaska to operate a motorhome/bus as long as it's "NOT FOR HIRE".
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 06:52 PM   #7

I vaguely remember, 4-5 years ago, a long thread on drivers' tests for operating a motor home, particularly those weighing >25,000 lbs, and those with air brakes. The discussion started regarding New York state, I think, and then grew.

One fact that stuck with me is that you could flunk the entire test if you released the parking brake before the engine-driven compressor got the brake pressure above 80 psi.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 07:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
I vaguely remember, 4-5 years ago, a long thread on drivers' tests for operating a motor home, particularly those weighing >25,000 lbs, and those with air brakes. The discussion started regarding New York state, I think, and then grew.

One fact that stuck with me is that you could flunk the entire test if you released the parking brake before the engine-driven compressor got the brake pressure above 80 psi.
Will the brakes even release with <80 psi pressure?

The service brakes are applied with pressure but emergency brakes are "spring brakes" and releaded with pressure.

As for low pressures I remember the days of the "wig-wag" flag that dropped into the driver's vision when pressure drops below safe level. Had to be pushed back up when air pressure was acceptable.

Last truck I drove with air brakes (over 20 years ago) just had a warning light and loud alarm.
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 06:21 AM   #9

For what it's worth most of you here know of our set up, towing with an Kenworth semi tractor, well in our state of Delaware it is registered as a "RV" so NO special license required, I even asked at DMV on one of our visits. I do still hold a CDL but have let it lapse meaning I cannot drive commercially unless I obtain the required DPT physical.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 07:07 AM   #10

In reading some comments and some suggesting a CDL TEST. You want you got it. All in good FUN to test your CDL Knowledge.
Now I do not have a CDL, but if there were to be a CDL for RV owners, which one would best cover the RV'er?

CDL Practice Tests as Florida has about 6 different areas to test a person for a CDL. Here is a link to all the FLORIDA CDL Practice TESTS to self-test your Driver knowledge. Just for fun to see how you would do if you had to take a CDL for a Motorhome. Click Here

FREE Florida CDL General Knowledge Practice Test 2024
Click Here
H.L. & Jan,
Old 04-20-2024, 09:58 AM   #11

When I was a young man, long ago, I went to the court house, handed them $3, they typed "Chauf" on my license, and presto I was a truck driver.
Old 04-20-2024, 10:09 AM   #12
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1fan View Post
When I was a young man, long ago, I went to the court house, handed them $3, they typed "Chauf" on my license, and presto I was a truck driver.
Kentucky!!!
Old 04-20-2024, 10:11 AM   #13
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
For what it's worth most of you here know of our set up, towing with an Kenworth semi tractor, well in our state of Delaware it is registered as a "RV" so NO special license required, I even asked at DMV on one of our visits. I do still hold a CDL but have let it lapse meaning I cannot drive commercially unless I obtain the required DPT physical.
So any maniac can drive that beast setup you have, wonderful! At least I know YOU know what the hell you're doing!
Old 04-20-2024, 10:19 AM   #14
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1fan View Post
Before the advent of CDL's, North Carolina was the same way. You just went to the DMV, payed $10, and you were good to go.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 12:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
So any maniac can drive that beast setup you have, wonderful! At least I know YOU know what the hell you're doing!
Think about it, in most states anyone can go buy a 40'+ motorhome WITH airbrakes and drive it off the lot. Personally, I would like to see each state implement an endorsement test for anyone towing a big trailer or operating a large motorhome, I know a lot will disagree with me, but it is just MY opinion.
Old 04-20-2024, 01:07 PM   #16
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Think about it, in most states anyone can go buy a 40'+ motorhome WITH airbrakes and drive it off the lot. Personally, I would like to see each state implement an endorsement test for anyone towing a big trailer or operating a large motorhome, I know a lot will disagree with me, but it is just MY opinion.
Agreed. I'm seeing way too many people out there today who can barely drive their little cars, much less any kind of rig.
Old 04-20-2024, 06:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Implementing a requirement and enforcement need to go hand in hand. Lately in my state enforcement is almost non-existent for all traffic reg's.

Some of the worst offenders supposedly have CDL's and are the worst speeders and tailgaters. Either racing to the Port of Seattle from north of the border or racing back home after dropping or picking up a load.

I'd almost welcome driving among a bunch of newbie drivers of airbrake equipped motorhomes.
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 07:07 PM   #18

#5 is a questionable answer for anyone. It doesn’t say which direction you are traveling when coming up to the bus!
#9 is ridiculous. Professional driver, does not mean you are professional!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 05:50 AM   #19

I have heard that when you take your CDL test and if you do it on truck with an automatic transmission, that is all you are allowed to drive, so for someone that drives for a large company with a fleet of trucks if you would break down they MUST bring you out an automatic, when I drove we only had manual trucks but now my personal tow vehicle is an automated transmission but still with a clutch to start and stop, after moving the computer shifts for me.
Old 04-21-2024, 06:13 AM   #20

I don't know this for sure and just a guess on my part. We drive along on our way, we come upon someone who should not be driving a 40-foot-long motorhome.
I have no facts to back up my thoughts on the subject, but I would say you have some extraordinarily rich folks who sell motorhomes. To sell them in all states someone may have pulled some strings to keep CDL licenses away from motorhome drivers.

But in all truth, I feel a one-day or week-long FREE driver's education course would be what the doctor ordered. Some folks have the money but do not know how to operate a big Class A and many Class C included. Just my opinion on the subject. As a lot more motorhomes are taking to the roadway. Every day divers who have issues just, making a curve in the roadway.

One big issue I see in newer drivers taking to the roads. A simple lane change while going 40 MPH with a look for clearance in the side view mirror to reenter the land 20 feet in front of the past vehicle seems like a non-issue. But doing the same trick while going 70 MPH, can make the person being passed hit their brakes creating a chain reaction. When they should be using their review mirror to reenter in front of the past car, as this will push them 50 feet further in front, before re-entering the lane of the vehicle behind them. Rules change on the highway from the country back roads. "Makes you wonder who is teaching them" to drive. Mom, Dad or the public school system or maybe a friend.
H.L. & Jan,

Tags
cdl, chauffeur, drivers safety, license, motor, motorhome, test, testing