Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2016, 05:35 PM   #1

Is an inlet water filter a good idea

We recently bought our first motor home - Forester MBS 2401W. It has a water filter inside the cabin, but I was thinking a second filter, to minimize sediment in the drinking water tank, wouldn't be a bad idea. I purchased a Camco online filter, but it clogged and reduced the water pressure quite a bit. I have noticed a number of RV's with the outside filter, but most don't. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
CarolinaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:46 PM   #2
Old Camping Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBlue View Post
We recently bought our first motor home - Forester MBS 2401W. It has a water filter inside the cabin, but I was thinking a second filter, to minimize sediment in the drinking water tank, wouldn't be a bad idea. I purchased a Camco online filter, but it clogged and reduced the water pressure quite a bit. I have noticed a number of RV's with the outside filter, but most don't. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
A good quality water filter should be enough, I have a good .5 micron filter that does a great job, I would not add another to it. Good luck!
EZgo TXT and ClubCar Precedent golf carts
2009 Forest River Salem 30QBSS
U.S. Navy Veteran
Eagle-751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:45 PM   #3
2012 Solera

Several members have reported their fresh water tanks filling and overflowing when attached to city water. Cause is apparently a check valve integral to the water pump hanging partially open. I have suspected that this might be from dirt or sediment in the unfiltered city water, which goes through this valve (as I understand the plumbing) before going through the in-house filter. I therefore do use both - a blue inline filter on the hose bib and the in-house filter. I believe the hose bib filters are somewhat coarser than the in-house, but should keep the worst of the crud out of the check valve.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:06 PM   #4

I use a water filter on the spigot even though I have a house filter.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:39 AM   #5

Hose Pre-Filter - yes/no?

I like the idea of removing any sediment with a pre-filter but after a week using the blue Camco filter in various campgrounds we had no pressure for the shower. We had to turn on our water pump. I suppose the clogged filter indicates it was doing its job. Has anyone else had a problem with reduced pressure caused be the hose bib filters?
Old 10-02-2016, 07:56 AM   #6

I moved my in house filter to the outside and mount it to the bumper when hooked up.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:18 PM   #7

You can hook up a makeshift filter using screens similar to those found in household faucets to catch the largest of the materials that may be coming out of the hose bib. Look at the screens that are probably on your sink faucets in the kitchen and bathroom(s) or the types of screen that you find hooked to your washing machine hose. This will give you some idea of the filtering quality. They are very inexpensive. Your washer may have a "cone" shaped filter. We have a well that furnishes water so we need it but if you have "city" water you may not have this type of filter. Just go to a big box store and you'll find them usually in plastic bubble wraps with several in them.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:20 PM   #8
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
This unit didn't come with a filter, so I added one from Home depot that sits on rear bumper and filters all water coming in.....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:24 PM   #9
2012 Solera

Still on my first Camco hose bib filter. About 200 nights camped with it. I carry a spare in case it plugs up. If yours plugged up so quickly, I would agree - it protected you from a lot of crud.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:37 PM   #10
Cyber Phrenologist

I have never had a problem with using a CAMCO or other external filter along with my built in under-counter filter. I usually run them both.

I like the one-piece disposable outdoor filters. Since it almost always requires 2 25ft hoses to hook up my trailer (inlet is in the back) I put the filter between the two hoses and let it lay on the ground, not bothering to support it with anything.

Disposable is good.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 01:07 PM   #11

external water filter

After dealing with a neighbors Camco filter plugging up and noticing the amount of sediment in the park water, after getting fed up with paying big bucks for the Camco, went to tractor supply and bought a whole house filter and two packs of 5 micro sediment filters, about $1.75 each and rigged it up on the a frame of my utility trailer. Attached is the filter after usual personal cleaning and two showers over night. since then I have been surprised how much sediment is on park water.

simple, easy, cheap, and not in my tank or plumbing. What do you think.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160602_074049.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	121948  
SatDAve36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 01:17 PM   #12

Purge before hook-up

Before I hook up my freshwater hose, I run the water supply full blast at the faucet in order to purge any settlement that may have accumulated at the source. This will get rid of the big stuff and hopefully other debris that's settled in the line prior to my arrival. Hopefully it makes my filter last longer!
Mewcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 01:26 PM   #13

SatDAve36 - that looks like a good setup.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 01:36 PM   #14

I use a canister type with a sediment filter (caution, never use the clear plastic type canister) outside the trailer in conjunction with the built in filter. The sediment filter does not impede the flow while performing it's function.
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBlue View Post
I like the idea of removing any sediment with a pre-filter but after a week using the blue Camco filter in various campgrounds we had no pressure for the shower. We had to turn on our water pump. I suppose the clogged filter indicates it was doing its job. Has anyone else had a problem with reduced pressure caused be the hose bib filters?
I have had the house filter clog and no water inside the rv, it kinda baffled me for awhile till I went outside and checked the water pressure coming from the post. It was good, then I checked the onboard filter and sure enough it was clogged.

Since then I have used the Camco filters, #1 they are cheaper than the $30 dollar filters that go into the on board container. I buy them at Walmart in a two pack and can change them out easier than the onboard can. I don't even run the one in the rv anymore and I have had zero problems with the Camco filters.
floridela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:37 PM   #16

Thank you. I am using a pressure limiter fitted with a mesh wire screen at the moment. We are camping near Acadia NP and want to limit the amount of sediment so I think I will go find myself a new filter to use. Thanks to everyone. Another question - Is it a good idea to use a pressure limiter and a hose bib filter or will that reduce the pressure too much?
Old 10-02-2016, 09:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatDAve36 View Post
After dealing with a neighbors Camco filter plugging up and noticing the amount of sediment in the park water, after getting fed up with paying big bucks for the Camco, went to tractor supply and bought a whole house filter and two packs of 5 micro sediment filters, about $1.75 each and rigged it up on the a frame of my utility trailer. Attached is the filter after usual personal cleaning and two showers over night. since then I have been surprised how much sediment is on park water.

simple, easy, cheap, and not in my tank or plumbing. What do you think.......
Can you post a picture from the other side? Basically how did you attach the filter to the u-bolt setup.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:57 PM   #18

I second Mewcasa...always run water before hooking up. Lots of "stuff" lurks in some water lines, especially early in the season. It also flushes out the spiders that hide in the end of the faucet.
wetland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:01 PM   #19
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Most of the campgrounds we've been to have a screen cone affair in their faucet
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:16 AM   #20

this is the setup I made with my factory water filter to ensure I don't get stuff in my water system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0076.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	122032  
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water filter